Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #1

Mail forwarding while snow birding

Hi everyone, I searched the forum for anything on mail forwarding while snow birding and found a few things from a few years ago, but wanted to ask out there what people do when they go away for the winter months. Has anyone tried the different mail forwarding services? It seems that some are good, but it always seems to come back with complaints about the good old USPS. I have read other options where as having a relative or close friend gather your mail and once a week or 2 send it down in bulk.. Just looking for some advice on which is the best way to get our mail delivered to our site in Mesa for Jan - April
any input would be greatly appreciated.
topline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

I simply order a forwarding to my alternate address in Florida which we own.

But this has not always been successful in the past. In addition to this I go to the local post office in Florida and give them notice that I am in residence for the winter season. I also contact magazines I subscribe to and change my address as they will not forward most(all?) magazines.

In the spring I reverse the procedure. I stop the forwarding a week before we leave Florida by notice to my Illinois post office. I then call the magazines again and change my address.

Caution, some mail will not forward such as certain government mail, new credit cards, etc.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

The wife has many pills to take daily so yes we have family that gather and send mail to our winter camp. We do not stay in the same campground every year (but always at a mom and pop type campground) we just let them know where we are and they send the box FedEx. The owners/managers will tell you what to put as the mailing address. We have been full timers for 10 years and never had a problem with mail.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
The wife has many pills to take daily so yes we have family that gather and send mail to our winter camp. We do not stay in the same campground every year (but always at a mom and pop type campground) we just let them know where we are and they send the box FedEx. The owners/managers will tell you what to put as the mailing address. We have been full timers for 10 years and never had a problem with mail.

We agree! Having someone YOU TRUST pick up your mail and packages from your home is the only way.

We Installed a secure mailbox that can hold at least a weeks worth of mail, and have it emptied each week (when the house is being checked, plants watered and etc...) and they stuff that mail into a USPS Priority Mail package every other week. We have to carefully plan where we will be available to receive the package as some RV Parks will not accept packages (Read this experience we had: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post751549 )

Things to be careful of with USPS forwarding -
No forwarding of Medicine, they are returned to sender if out of state.
Certain packages are not forwarded unless they are sent 1st Class
UPS and Fedex packages still sit on your porch - no forwarding. If you get packages once a month.. .they won't re-direct the package w/o the sender initiating that.
USPS decided 4 months into the forwarding order that we no longer lived at the address and returned all mail. When that happened, some of the accounts we had mail returned to, were closed w/o contacting us at all.

and the Most important advice I can give... any package you get sent to the park - Include the full address of the RV Park you are staying, Your name, the Parks Name, the parks mailing Address and YOUR SPACE number.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #5

I have had good luck with the post office priority mail. It is a weekly mailing of what appears to be everything including magazines and meds.

https://about.usps.com/publications/...pub615_005.htm
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

Over the years we have learned to have a neighbor check the house and collect the mail weekly. We call to keep in touch and tell them to pitch the junk and forward the rest to our location. All our bills are direct or electronically paid so we get very little mail. We do the same for them in the summer when they travel.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Jim, what is the price for the USPS mail forwarding service that you use?
Is it fairly reasonable, and it appears they send your mail once a week, I am I reading that right? from their webpage
Old 11-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #8

Mike
It runs about $21 a week. I have used it for three years and don't have any complaints. Once I got a couple letters for a neighbor, took them to the nearest PO and they took care of it. When I start my next migration in a couple weeks I will sign up again.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not616/not616_002.htm
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

Thanks Jim, we will look into this option, seems easy enough. Thanks for your service by the way!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #10

This is our first winter away, I contacted our banks, prescription service and everyone sending us tax info and they did a temporary address change ( they said this was a common practice for snowbirds in the winter ) then I did a temporary change of address at our local Post Office, I started it a week before we left and when we got to Texas we had mail waiting on us, so far it has worked for us.
jkhayes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #11

We do a temporary change at the post office and have our mail forwarded to Parker Az where we stay. No problem for the last 14 years.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #12

paperless billing

I have all my bills sent paperless including EOB for health insurance. Beyond that I have a trusted individual pick up what's left, sort out the obvious garbage and mail the rest once a month.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2017 Travel Lite 890RX (truck camper)
Sun N Fun is offline   Reply With Quote