Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Need a hobby

We have been full time in our RV for several years now but rarely get to actually travel due to health issues. I love to fish and use my metal detector but with the current weather that has been minimal. What hobbies do you enjoy that can be done indoors? I've tried a few through the years but so far nothing has stuck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #2

Get an e-reader like a Kindle Paperwhite and download books instantly from your local library. There are innumerable good books and series.

Alternatively but similarly, Audio books from your local library probably number in the thousands.

Another idea is listening to podcasts. There are some really good free ones out there, such as Dr. Death, and Sword and Scale.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Cliff, owning an RV and maintain it is a hobby by itself. Staying active physical and mind is very important. During the summer I work in the RV industry away from home, during the winter I RV fix parts or find out why these products failed. I still think winter times are harder on a person because of outdoor activities. Walking on ice is pretty hard when younger and it gets dangerous when there is a snow-layer on top. I'm a lucky man, because everyone know my capabilities and know where to find me. Besides with 5 widows around me let me even mow their lawns in the weekend I'm home.
Humans are made to stay active from the beginning to the end. Just wonder what pension inventers where thinking?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

I enjoy painting - small wood board using Acrylic artist paint...trying different
paining styles ... can always paint over if you end up not liking the result...
and the end product can be hung in the RV if you like...light weight, materials, and easy to store...passes the time and relaxing. I also play/record music with my electric guitar/keyboard and laptop w/ earphones so no external noise heard really to aggravate the wife....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

I have gotten into making my own fishing lures. If the weather is bad, I make replacements. If I have one I really like, I make a few more, as spares or to give to kids while I'm out fishing. I will also make ones just for the weather & water conditions for that day. I make a lot of walleye leaders for the Mississippi.

I have a small plastic box, maybe a 1 cu foot, that holds my supplies. I have wire bending tool that is to awkward to fit in the box. My favorite beads are the glass ones I got from Hobby Lobby (bracelet making isle??). Bonus, they are way cheaper than the plastic one from fishing retailers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

Many years ago (30+), my wife suggested I take a stained glass class at a community college to keep me busy . I loved it, and after the second class I found that I was pretty decent at it. As people found out I was into this, I started getting requests to do this or that. When we started our family and she quit working, I did it as a side job to supplement our income.

Started with small panels, night lights, etc., and did series of 5 ft by 2 ft panels for a few customers, as well as tiffany reproduction lamps. Really have gotten away from it over the years, but will still do a panel or two when asked. If you have patience, its a great hobby that you can get into for minimal investment. Feel free to ask questions if interested
Old 01-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #7

Ham Radio is always worth consideration. You can have a pretty compact setup if needed for both HF and VHF. When we do get the travel trailer out, I like the access to additional communication options, and you can get some amazing local intel when actually out traveling. The tech license is pretty easy to study for and opens up a lot of options.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #8

I'm a woodworker with half a garage full of tools.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
Get an e-reader like a Kindle Paperwhite and download books instantly from your local library. There are innumerable good books and series.

Alternatively but similarly, Audio books from your local library probably number in the thousands.

Another idea is listening to podcasts. There are some really good free ones out there, such as Dr. Death, and Sword and Scale.
I've had Kindle for years. It is on my phone so I always have books with me but lately I can't find much that I care to read. I go by spells for reading. I might read 3-4 books then not read for a few months. I'm tired of playing word and card games all day.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Cliff, owning an RV and maintain it is a hobby by itself. Staying active physical and mind is very important. During the summer I work in the RV industry away from home, during the winter I RV fix parts or find out why these products failed. I still think winter times are harder on a person because of outdoor activities. Walking on ice is pretty hard when younger and it gets dangerous when there is a snow-layer on top. I'm a lucky man, because everyone know my capabilities and know where to find me. Besides with 5 widows around me let me even mow their lawns in the weekend I'm home.
Humans are made to stay active from the beginning to the end. Just wonder what pension inventers where thinking?
I keep my own up and occasionally help others with problems but it's not enough to stay busy. I live in the Houston area so snow and ice are not something I need to worry about but we have been getting a fair amount of rain.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
I enjoy painting - small wood board using Acrylic artist paint...trying different

paining styles ... can always paint over if you end up not liking the result...

and the end product can be hung in the RV if you like...light weight, materials, and easy to store...passes the time and relaxing. I also play/record music with my electric guitar/keyboard and laptop w/ earphones so no external noise heard really to aggravate the wife....
Artistic endeavors are my wife's forte, not mine. I have no talent for drawing. I have done a bit of woodcarving but not for some time now. Not that I was ever very good at it. I've tried many things but if I see I have no talent for it I just move on.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have gotten into making my own fishing lures. If the weather is bad, I make replacements. If I have one I really like, I make a few more, as spares or to give to kids while I'm out fishing. I will also make ones just for the weather & water conditions for that day. I make a lot of walleye leaders for the Mississippi.

I have a small plastic box, maybe a 1 cu foot, that holds my supplies. I have wire bending tool that is to awkward to fit in the box. My favorite beads are the glass ones I got from Hobby Lobby (bracelet making isle??). Bonus, they are way cheaper than the plastic one from fishing retailers.
I have a large amount of tools and supplies for tying flies but my boxes are full and I'm tired making more. If the weather ever breaks I might get to use a few of them.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Many years ago (30+), my wife suggested I take a stained glass class at a community college to keep me busy . I loved it, and after the second class I found that I was pretty decent at it. As people found out I was into this, I started getting requests to do this or that. When we started our family and she quit working, I did it as a side job to supplement our income.

Started with small panels, night lights, etc., and did series of 5 ft by 2 ft panels for a few customers, as well as tiffany reproduction lamps. Really have gotten away from it over the years, but will still do a panel or two when asked. If you have patience, its a great hobby that you can get into for minimal investment. Feel free to ask questions if interested
I have seen it done before but never considered trying it. I'm not into artistic hobbies. I'm more of an active type person. Besides I don't have place to keep the supplies for that hobby.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Ham Radio is always worth consideration. You can have a pretty compact setup if needed for both HF and VHF. When we do get the travel trailer out, I like the access to additional communication options, and you can get some amazing local intel when actually out traveling. The tech license is pretty easy to study for and opens up a lot of options.
I wouldn't know where to start but living in the RV full time I don't have much place to work much less setup radio gear.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I'm a woodworker with half a garage full of tools.
I like woodworking too and I do have quite a few tools but they are in storage. There is no room to work in the RV for anything but small projects and any sanding or cutting would have to be done outdoors on a table. I hope to get back into a house soon where I'll have space to work but for now it'll have to wait.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If settled down in a community we have friends around us which create more options. Full timers being on the road you can make friends, but you always leave them behind, unless you can create a group who wants to travel together. Even two people have not always the same things in common. So more friends around create opportunities for common goals. We all like to do things with our own partner and a lot of time it is give and take.
To pursue hobbies on the road might be a difficult task as it is hard for a male to take his complete shop with him. Females usually have less complicated hobbies. Bicycling and walking depends also on weather conditions for enjoyment. Some humans also have in their nature "Jealousy" which can create havoc if their partner goes bicycling with someone else - but this same partner doesn't like bicycling or walking etc.. In any case be yourself on control your own sanity, everyone has the same right at happiness.
We make choices in our lives for some fulltime RVing is the right thing others like still their home base. Best is to find balance!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I like woodworking too and I do have quite a few tools but they are in storage. There is no room to work in the RV for anything but small projects and any sanding or cutting would have to be done outdoors on a table. I hope to get back into a house soon where I'll have space to work but for now it'll have to wait.
We have something called the "Tool Library" here in town. They have a small annual membership fee, as I recall no tool rental fee. What is nice, you can checkout tools that you need for a project at home, and they have a fully functional shop, that you can work on projects in the library. Most of their staff sounds like they are familiar with a lot of the equipment and can give guidance.

I am not a member (have a full shop). One of our Eagle Scouts did a project that helped them when they were setting up. They had a large selection of tools (many donated tools). Everything from simple yard tools, to power tools for doing a home remodel and everything in between. Only thing I do not recall seeing was any welding equipment. I did chuckle a bit, when I saw things like a basic claw hammer for checkout. I would think you would find at least one in every home, but I guess I am wrong.

You could see if the town you are staying at has something like that. A place to putz on small projects. Maybe a place to help youth who are not familiar with tools. Good reason to get out of the RV. Keeps the RV clean!

Good Luck at finding a new hobby!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #18
Site Team

There's always learning how to play a musical instrument. The one piece of advice on that subject, is resist the thought of learning how to play bagpipes!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
There's always learning how to play a musical instrument. The one piece of advice on that subject, is resist the thought of learning how to play bagpipes!
The bagpipe comment got me thinking... I'm a Shriner. Our shrine has a Highlander Unit that plays drums and bagpipes. They are even willing to train someone, if they are interested in joining the unit.
Just throwing this out there. It might be worth looking into. You also will have the opportunity to meet some new friends.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
We have something called the "Tool Library" here in town. They have a small annual membership fee, as I recall no tool rental fee. What is nice, you can checkout tools that you need for a project at home, and they have a fully functional shop, that you can work on projects in the library. Most of their staff sounds like they are familiar with a lot of the equipment and can give guidance.

I am not a member (have a full shop). One of our Eagle Scouts did a project that helped them when they were setting up. They had a large selection of tools (many donated tools). Everything from simple yard tools, to power tools for doing a home remodel and everything in between. Only thing I do not recall seeing was any welding equipment. I did chuckle a bit, when I saw things like a basic claw hammer for checkout. I would think you would find at least one in every home, but I guess I am wrong.

You could see if the town you are staying at has something like that. A place to putz on small projects. Maybe a place to help youth who are not familiar with tools. Good reason to get out of the RV. Keeps the RV clean!

Good Luck at finding a new hobby!
That sounds good but I need something I can just pick up when I have a few minutes.

Jayflight 34RSBS