Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

New to full timing

Finally able to take the leap and travel full time all the stars seem to be aligning. Anyone full timing that is not retired but working while full time RVing? We are a younger couple and I am able to work anywhere which allows us the freedom. Any thoughts on where to go first we are located in the Midwest and if all goes well we will be ready to go mid July early August this year. I do know stay out of the south during hurricane season due to hot weather. I grew up in the Deep South.
gojeepin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Good luck full timing, sounds great to work from anywhere....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF.

"Go West, young man." You can stay at higher elevations to avoid the heat.

It can be challenging finding internet connections, if you require that for your 'job'. There are a few JOF members that may be able to help with that.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

Cool the plan is to go west for sure my wife has never really seen the states so this is the perfect time to see it on our time versus rushing through things
Old 04-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

As stated before, Internet service is the biggest problem.

I ponied up for Verizon's Hot Spot service. They seem to have the best coverage across America, and they charge accordingly. But, if you need to stay in touch with the office, I found that it is worth the added expense.

Does not guarantee service, but it is probably the best solution. Be prepared to travel to a more populated area if you are in a remote location and need to get something turned in with a deadline.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Yeah I ponied up for Verizon a few years ago and also have the hotspot it does work and have used it several times last year on trial runs in some remote areas and it does work well but you do pay for it. Its worth it to because I will walk out my door to a relaxing view every couple of weeks it changes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #7

In many parts of the west you will have marginal cell service also. You may want to stay along routes with more population and closer to larger cities. As said WiFi is weak at best, allowing to check EMails and that's about it. Sending or receiving large files will be a challenge. If your planning on leaving in July early August I would have reservations, that is during peak travel season. Once schools start back up it's not as necessary to have reservations.

May want to look into a mail drop also, one that you can call and tell them where to send your mail. If mailing from remote areas, be sure to add a day or two for delivery.

Good luck on your adventures !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

They make some long rang WiFi repeater antenna that can help pull in WiFi signals

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Team

To help you out with your Wi-Fi questions check with the Wi-Fi Signal Extenders social group. Some of your questions may be answered there... it is a good place to start. I also have the Verizon MiFi, but I used up my allotted monthly amount within a few days... $$$$. There are a few of us that use the Wi-Fi extenders and they work pretty good at amplifying the CG signals (good or bad signals). Some extenders have a 2 mile "Line of Sight" range. I stream SlingBox video from my home in Fl with no problems. I use the MagicJack phone (VOIP) as a backup when our cell phone service is not good (1) bar... especially in the mountains... I call forward the cell phones to the magic jack #.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote