Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #21

Leave northern mi last week in Oct for fortuna foothills, az and go back end of April.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmade56 View Post
Leave northern mi last week in Oct for fortuna foothills, az and go back end of April.
We were at Imperial Dam for 2 weeks last winter. What is there to do in Yuma for 6 months?

We hit up a few places in S.CA & S.AZ over the winter. We move around with the longest stay being 1 month in Desert Hot Springs
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #23

We're out in our TT 2-1/2 months in the early spring and again for 2-1/2 months till late fall then we House Sit for most of the winter down south like Ca.,Az., Fl,. We stay approx 2-1/2 to 3 weeks at each house sit. It's always free because we take care of their pets and I fix things around their house that they never seem to have time for. Just word of mouth among their circle of friends have kept us busy.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
We were at Imperial Dam for 2 weeks last winter. What is there to do in Yuma for 6 months?

We hit up a few places in S.CA & S.AZ over the winter. We move around with the longest stay being 1 month in Desert Hot Springs
Golf, many resorts have Laughlin style shows all winter, balloon festival this weekend, great airshow at marine air station. Nice shopping mall, close to San Diego, rocky point, alagodones and nice weather. We take our cc rider out for touring and make fortuna foothills home base in winter.
I've been to imperial dam and an hour was enough for me.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmade56 View Post
Golf, many resorts have Laughlin style shows all winter, balloon festival this weekend, great airshow at marine air station. Nice shopping mall, close to San Diego, rocky point, alagodones and nice weather. We take our cc rider out for touring and make fortuna foothills home base in winter.
I've been to imperial dam and an hour was enough for me.
Thanks for the info. We don't really do any of those things. The Blue Angels practicing when we were in El Centro was fun to watch for the first day, after a week of screaming jets it got old. We don't do resorts much as we prefer to be out hiking in the mountains or deserts. Old downtown Yuma was good for a visit and Goat Canyon trestle was great although very busy.

What's a cc rider? We had a boat at one time we called "CC Rider"
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Thanks for the info. We don't really do any of those things. The Blue Angels practicing when we were in El Centro was fun to watch for the first day, after a week of screaming jets it got old. We don't do resorts much as we prefer to be out hiking in the mountains or deserts. Old downtown Yuma was good for a visit and Goat Canyon trestle was great although very busy.

What's a cc rider? We had a boat at one time we called "CC Rider"
We don't stay in resorts either, do see a few shows to make wide happy. Seeing marines flying around doesn't bother me because it's the sound of freedom. CC Rider is on the back of my jayco class c. I've seen blue angles at el Centro and the Thunderbirds at creech. When you are an rv'er you are more likely to see those things.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #27

First year for snow birding for us. We plan on leaving before mid Dec, and haven't decided when to return. We will head to the Quartzite area and get involved with the gem and mineral club there, and explore the area. We'll play it by ear from there. Maybe head towards TX for a bit, or NM.....or even LA. Depends on which side the quarter lands on.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #28

We live in North Idaho and leave shortly after the first frost. We stay in a park in Az for 6+ months and go back north again slowly.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #29

Full-time Snowbird

I've been full-timing for 5-1/2 years, and this is my fifth year as a "Winter Texan". I use to live in the Grand Rapids, MI area, and always loved camping in northern Michigan. But I finally had enough of Michigan winters, and sold the "stick & brick" home to become a full timer after I retired. I now spend my summers as a Michigan State Park Campground Host, and winters in the "Texas Hill Country". I chose Texas over Florida because it's less expensive, is less humid, and there are a lot fewer bugs, snakes, and gators. I chose Texas over New Mexico/Arizona because it means spending 2-4 fewer days on the road. As a Host, my campsite is provided @ no charge. In Texas, my camping fees are on a monthly basis at a lot lower price than the daily rates. More travel = higher fuel costs, and more camping nights on the road = higher camping fees.

It's a great lifestyle! For the past 4 years, I've started my hosting season at Hartwick Pines State Park in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula during the first week in April (when the park campground opened). May 1st through the end of September, I host at N. Higgins Lake State Park; then return to Hartwick Pines for October & November. I've generally left northern Michigan around Thanksgiving, and spend 4-5 days driving down to Texas. The problem I've run into is that (as a "full-timer", I can't winterize my TT. As a result, my water lines always freeze up during the first 2 weeks in April, and again in November - even running the furnace and burning through 30# of propane every three days trying to prevent it. For 2019, Hartwick Pines won't be opening until May 1st and closing November 1st (to avoid having to plow the campground roads of snow for the half-dozen campers they see during the early & late camping seasons. So, I won't be leaving Texas until the end of April and heading directly to N. Higgins Lake SP. I won't be Hosting at Hartwick Pines until October, and will be returning to Texas in early November. I can take my time traveling each way, shouldn't have to worry about my water lines freezing, and should have a lot better travel weather. The only down side (as I see it) will be higher travel expenses.

These are some of the things that I have to consider as a "Snow Bird" and a "Full-timer". You may want to consider them as well. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your planning and your new "Snow Bird" adventures.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #30

Thanks to all for your replies and great info. Our plans for next year are already in progress. We have decided for the first year to "splurge" a little for dw's 1st year of retirement and have booked a spot in Southern California from Dec 1 - March 1. Our daughter lives in LA and dw has family in San Diego area. We are planning on leaving NY on or about Nov 1 (weather dependent) so we can really take our time getting to the west coast and see some things along the way. Of course we will be heading south first, still planning where our stops will be, what we want to see and the route we will take (especially the route). Still open for suggestions from all you experienced snowbirds and full-timers! Thanks again!

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #31

We are doing our first “Snowbird” excursion next winter... leaving our seasonal site end of October and meandering down south, staying in State Parks for the first two months and then a 3 month stay in Crystal River area as of Jan 1. Been booking State Parks 11 months in advance and haven’t had any issues but have noticed they fill up quickly!

--------------------------------------------
Sshepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #32

I leave before the snow flies and return about April 1 (depending on weather) I find a boondocking site I like and stay there for the winter BUT if I get tired of the spot I pack up and go to a new place.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote