Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Snowbirds in a trailer?

I have a 2017 Whitehawk 27DSRL trailer. Thinking about using it next winter for a 3 or 4 month period of time down in the warm south. Wondering if any of you have stayed in a rig this size for an extended period of time? I was a full timer for 8+ years in a 40 foot motorhome. So, I know what it is like to stay an extended period of time. But not in a rig the size of my trailer.

Thanks for any comments.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #2

In 2010 we spent 6 weeks at Tampa South Rv Resort in our previous camper which was a 1 slide Flagstaff and it was great although that winter was rather cool down there. There were 2 of us and we had plenty of room.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Team

We camped in S. Florida at several state parks and there were snowbirds moving around from park to park in the winter in class B's.

They spent a lot of time outdoors.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

DW & I stayed 4 weeks in FL in a GH31ss and survived it.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

We just arrived home being in Fl. for 3 months in our 17ft. Hummingbird RB ! With 10ft more! No problem. I put 5,400 miles on my TV " round trip". Can't wait for next year.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

Were reverse snow birds, live in Arizona in our stick and stucco and spend 5 to 6 months in the summer in cooler weather. We have a 27rls and have plenty of room. We tend to spend more time outside. We enjoy it and have found no real issues even in bad weather.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

We just finished seven weeks and 5,000 miles. From Annapolis, MD to Florida, New Orleansand a lot of other places too. This was in a Hummingbird 17RK. No problems and we are planning a longer trip next winter and staying in one place for a couple months. We are also going to do a Nova Scotia this summer.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #8

We spent 4 months in Arizona in our 27DSRL. We had an 80lb dog and a cat with us. We found it a bit too small, but in some fairness, that may have been because of the animals as well.

There were a number of irritants that got to us. The lack of interior storage and space in the bedroom. It's very narrow to walk on the one side of the bed and finding enough room for clothing was challenging.

The bathroom: Hated the small vanity after a while and it's a rather cramped space overall. Sure, we could have used the showers in the RV park, but we didn't ever really do that. I just wasn't into walking way over to the showers with my kit bag every morning.

Free standing dinette. We only took two of the chairs with us to allow for some extra space between the table and the wall with the TV.

The kitchen worked out ok. Counter space got a bit tricky, but one finds that in almost any smaller unit like this.

Living area. This was the one area that we found worked out OK. The only irritant was that you have to walk by the recliners to get in and out and that turned out to be our dog's favourite place to lie down! LOL

Outside storage -- This is a bit lacking in this unit. We ended up using the back of the truck as our storage shed while there.

Overall, it was an interesting experience living in it for that period of time. I know people do so in smaller units, but for us, this one just wasn't large enough. I was very envious of the larger 5th wheels and their island kitchens and built in dressers and closets in the bedroom! And all their outside storage. We considered upgrading, but in the end, we sold it and our truck and are now considering purchasing a place down south. We just prefer to be in something a bit more comfortable for our circumstances.

Good luck and I hope this feedback helps.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote