Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

Soon

Hi
Will be fulltiming in about a year, traveling thru N. & Central America & boondocking 95-100%. This might involve some pretty rough terrain.
I don't own one yet but Jayco is on my shortlist.
I'd appreciate comment on Jayco durability, particularly Designer & Legacy 2000 (last year of wood frame) to 2007, Eagle 2005-2009.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

Once our house sells we will be FT too. We went with a 365 BHS for the family friendly layout. It is rather lengthy, so, I doubt I will get it off road too often. When researching brands, it was one of the few without a Lippert frame. Plus, I thought it had the most value for the price... Good luck and safe travels.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
Once our house sells we will be FT too. We went with a 365 BHS for the family friendly layout. It is rather lengthy, so, I doubt I will get it off road too often. When researching brands, it was one of the few without a Lippert frame. Plus, I thought it had the most value for the price... Good luck and safe travels.
Yeah, price point is good. I wasn't aware about the frame.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #4

Sure is quiet out there. Everybody gone to the opera?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Hi 19gc45 and belated welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum (we've been out of country). Hopefully you will hear from some of the Designer/Eagle owners out there. What limited knowlege about rough terrain that I have only involves railroad tracks on highways that aren't smooth, unmarked dips in the road, or bumps/holes in the road that I didn't see coming! When hitting some of the rough spots, things have been thrown around in the cabinets and tt itself. Haven't had any damage to the tt as of yet. Unless you get one of those 'made for terrain' type trailers, you may have to just plan on going realllly slow through the rough parts.

How kewl that you will fulltime and travel extensively! Have fun planning, it's one of the highlights buying a new tt. Let us know what ya wind up doing
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Hi 19gc45 and belated welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum (we've been out of country). Hopefully you will hear from some of the Designer/Eagle owners out there. What limited knowlege about rough terrain that I have only involves railroad tracks on highways that aren't smooth, unmarked dips in the road, or bumps/holes in the road that I didn't see coming! When hitting some of the rough spots, things have been thrown around in the cabinets and tt itself. Haven't had any damage to the tt as of yet. Unless you get one of those 'made for terrain' type trailers, you may have to just plan on going realllly slow through the rough parts.

How kewl that you will fulltime and travel extensively! Have fun planning, it's one of the highlights buying a new tt. Let us know what ya wind up doing
Thanks, and, yeah, I figured turtle mode would be part of the equation.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #7

Lol
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

Bump

Hi
Still looking for comment.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Well I have a 2005 Designer Legacy model and can tell you that it is a well constructed outfit. Double frame aluminum contruction, mor ryde pin box and suspension helps to smoothen out the ride. If your going into rough terrain, slow and easy would be the best bet. Shock absorbers too, think that would help.

I'd be more concerned about everything in the trailer. Stuff flying around, batten down the hatches lol. Not too much moves around in mine as I travel, but then again I am on smooth roads, till I get to where I am going, campgrounds most of the time have some rough roads.

Might consider raising the trailer off the axles, some axles can be fipped giving the trailer a rise of about 4 inches, some can be shimmed. More ground clearence.

Absolutely make sure though, that you carry spare suspension parts, hangars and bolts, springs. Bushings too. Even us that travel on smooth roads, break these items. Might be handy to carry a small portable welder to run off a genny in case a hangar breaks. Opt for heavier axles too, if trailer is rated for 6000 pound axles, see if 7000 pounders can be installed. With the larger rims to accomodate heavier better quality tires.

Portable air compressor to keep tires aired up, maybe a flat repair kit too.

Sounds like a interesting trip for sure
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #10

Google 99 days to Panama. It is one RVers chronicle of his trip. There is also a yahoo group for this...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote