Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

Teleworking (and not Work Camping)

First, some definitions:
Work Camping: Being a campground host or comparable; not the purpose of this thread as there is a whole forum called WORK CAMPING.
Teleworking: Earning your living as a consultant or employee who works offsite or remotely (part or full-timing); that is the purpose of this thread. Share your ideas and suggestions should you be so lucky to telecommute while camping and RV'ing.
  • How does this influence your site selection? (boondocking, hook-ups)
  • What equipment do you have?
  • What about Wi-Fi and power?
  • How do you set-up your "office"?
  • How do you spend your days?
  • War Stories??

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

I regularly telework, but haven't done it from a campground yet. If I were going to, given that I need to be on-line and on the phone a lot, I would want an electrical hook-us and a strong Wi-Fi signal. I'd also want as quiet a site as possible. Everything is done off the laptop, and I can either use it on my lap or setup at the dinette.

robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

Normally I telework from home, but have successfully done so camping:
Site: Tried it at sites with hookups and when boondocking; both work just fine.
Equipment: HotSpot if there isn't sufficient CG Wi-Fi, laptop w/keyboard and mouse, VoIP (phone via computer) with dual-muff wired headset, generator if no electricity 'cuz the PC battery won't last a full day. No printer needed.
Set-up: 1/2 of the dinette.
My workday: Coffee and food are in head-set reach. I work 6am-2pm and about every 2 hours take the dog for a brisk walk. After work, I enjoy the location!
War Story: A positive one - slipping-up in a call and letting them know I'm at the beach or someplace else more exciting than where they are ... get lots of ribbing then.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

I work from home every day. I'm concerned that when I leave the familiarity of home I'll be at a place that has a poor wi-fi signal and I'm screwed.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

I work from home too, plus I travel a lot for work. It is to the point whether I'm leaving for a business trip or camping with my family I bring a laptop, hot spot and cell phone. With these three things I can work nearly anywhere.

Occasionally I get tripped up, over the New Year holiday we camped along the CA central coast at Lake Lopez -- absolutely no cell reception. I had to drive about 8-10 miles outside the CG to connect for a couple hours each day since it was year end. My team had already delivered our number for the year so I could get away with it. Had my team had active deals on the table I don't know what I would have done, probably ditched the family and be forced to set up in a coffee shop each day.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #6

I technically don't begin teleworking until the first week in April, but I had to put a great deal of thought into how I would accomplish my goals:

My Job: I am a professional photographer/videographer, so living and working on the road will greatly increase my productivity by eliminating windshield time, decreasing overhead, and (hopefully) increasing quality because I can spend more time on location and more time scouting.

Site: Needed an outfit that would allow me to boondock and set-up on ranches and farms (as I do a lot of agricultural work), so I needed to produce as much power on my own (economically), eliminate the need to dump black water (installed a composting toilet), and gray water (using environmentally safe soaps and exploring where I can dump gray water legally), and source potable water. Also have a generator and four 200ah 6-volt AGM batteries.

Equipment: I worked out an arrangement with a cell phone company to swap my services in exchange for a wireless smartphone with 40 GB of free Internet. As such I installed a 3G/4G signal booster. I also purchased a WiFi Ranger Elite to mount onto my TV antenna so I can borrow (with permission) signal from some of the farmers and ranchers where I set up service, and of course the many hotspots also often available. I will use my tablet and laptop to conserve energy and only use my desktop when I need to edit photos or video.

Set-Up: I ordered my RV without the dinette and I am building a custom desk to fill that spot using Ikea furniture, L-brackets to mount to the floor, and a desk slab as a desk top. And of course the great outdoors is also my office.

My Workday: Mine will be unorthodox. I will be scouting and/or making photos and video from before sunrise to 3 hours after sunrise. Then probably returning to bed. Working/selling at my desk in the afternoon and maybe return to shoot 2 hours before sunset. I will take two days off for personal stuff, explore, and visit adjacent towns.

War Stories: None yet, but I plan to record my exploits on video and posting them on YouTube.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #7

Todd, So impressed - your output on your website is beautiful, and a fantastic testament to telecommuting! (p.s. each picture is wonderful, but I really love the roan - childhood memories). What Jayco model have you modified, and eventually some photos of your set-up would be interesting to see.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #8

I got the Jayco Jay Flight 23RB. I thought it was the right balance in size and features for me. Although I wanted a slide out, I figured it was smarter to do without in order to avoid maintenance issues (since I'm more than just the casual once-a-month-weekend camper) and to not limit myself with where I can part/camp. I was also keen on the Elite package with 90 gallon potable water tank, which I thought was quite large for its size and class. And I added the added insulation package, too. We'll see how things go between now and October. If all goes well I will install a Kimberly stove and tank heaters as well, so I can work in the colder months and not break the bank on propane. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Off to yet another week of telecommuting from the TT. Hope to sneak away during the afternoons to see a few local highlights! Boss (located in Ireland) knows I'm doing it and is extremely supportive (so long as the Wi-Fi is good for both the PC and the PC phone). No worries there, have teleworked from this location before (Stockton Delta).

Old 03-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #10

If you want a better chance at decent WiFi then I would try to stay in more urban areas. The further you get into mountains, or more remote areas, the worse the WiFi will be. Same with cell phone. The whole country is not wired as are the major population centers. Often there may be only one major cell phone company for a particular location, and Wifi is marginal at best. Verizon is probably the best overall for cell phone coverage. I would check out where your going with your provider to see what the reception will be, and if it is as fast a connection as you would like. Same with WiFi, call and speak with the campground so your not disappointed with the available service. We have 4g here at home and many places only have 2g at best, and often no cell service. Ask your provider about hot spot speeds at your destination also.

Good luck and Good camping.