Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2023, 02:59 PM   #1

Travel decisions and advice

Here is a dilemma that we find ourselves in currently.

I was recently let go from my position. We have a two week European trip planned at the end of April.

The question is, should we keep that trip (we can cancel if wanted), or jump in the truck and trailer and take a nice long trip now that we will have time to do so while I look for the next opportunity?

For reference we did a 2 month trip last summer where I worked and traveled and we absolutely loved it!

While we have some savings and a decent package we just don't want to afford both.

Thoughts, questions, insight from those who travel longer each year etc. are all appreciated!
Old 03-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #2

Tough choice. You did the "camping cruise" last summer, have you been to the area of Europe where you have your trip planned? There's always new and exciting places to camp and visit, it's all what you want to do, they are both very different experiences.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #3

There are a lot of great places to visit in the US and Canada.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:59 PM   #4

No we have not seen the locations in Europe. This trip would be to Amsterdam, Bruges, and Paris. Two weeks total time. Of course lots of things to see and do there.

If we did the trailer it would be longer, prob two or three months. Our trip last summer was the northern and some central states. This year we would do the southern states and the other central states we have not been too.

Part of our thought was when I get a new position will it be remote or would I need to go into the office. Then there is the question about amount of vacation time etc as well.

While I enjoyed our trip last year I did have the extra stress of working. It would be nice not to have that and to fully enjoy all of the trip.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:15 PM   #5

If you have never been to Europe, go for it as you will always remember the memories of that trip..........there will still be plenty of time to travel / camp in the U.S. We have been over to Europe many times for extended stays and now enjoy more travel/camping in the U.S.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #6

My vote is Europe. Use the next couple months to research your next position. Easier when in work mode, not vacation mode.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:16 AM   #7

My vote is Europe as well. While there are many unforgettable places here to visit, Paris is just on another level. The people, architecture, lifestyle and art changed my life. You will never forget it.
However, do your homework! Learn the local customs.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:30 AM   #8

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah we're going to stay with going to Europe. Might add a short trip to do the Utah 5 after Europe. I have a good amount of time before we are in any trouble, but it also would be awesome to "double dip" for as long as possible...
Old 03-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #9

Glad to hear you are prepared and able to turn a negative into a positive. Great planning and preparation for your current situation. Although I am late to the game here, I would opt for camping over the Europe trip. As some have already said, there is so much to see in this country I would choose to do that over traveling abroad especially in these times.

Either way I hope you enjoy your trip and land a new opportunity soon!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah we're going to stay with going to Europe. Might add a short trip to do the Utah 5 after Europe. I have a good amount of time before we are in any trouble, but it also would be awesome to "double dip" for as long as possible...
Good choice, I went to Europe (Italy and Greece) last year for the first time, and it was really special.

I'm in tech and watching people I've worked with for years be let go during this is tough. Talking with them, they are making the best of it, and kind of holding off double dipping (here in Canada, financial planning on what to do with the severance, especially this time of the year is vital as starting work too soon would really increase your tax bracket) as there are still 9 months to go in the year.

Have a great trip, and good luck in the job search.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #11

Carpe diem! Europe is the answer

You don’t know what the future holds, you may not get this opportunity again. Go to Europe and steady your course you began when booking. Take this time to be stress free, no commitments, spend little bit enjoy much. New employment and camping will be your focus upon return.
big50rvyeahbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #12

Do both.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #13

Like many others, I would do the Europe thing while you can. I waited, and now tonight. Fortunately, our country will always be here for you to travel.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:23 PM   #14
CAG

We have traveled a good portion of Western and Eastern Europe, and Africa and Russia. I would not trade the experiences we had and we have traveled much of the US.

All of that said, we have looked at International travel again now that Covid has backed off but to tell you the truth, airline travel is not the same. People are jammed into the tube and are rude and inconsiderate. Airport workers are stressed as are airline employees. One of the very best trips was a Danube cruise on Viking for our 50th and we did it up right. It was great and Viking takes very, very good care of the customer. I doubt you will find that with some companies and again the jammed flights, tours, cities, well we have decided that we will spend our money in the US and see some of the places we have missed here.

Paris is probably very nice but as a native Parisian told me, "jam that many people into a square mile and you have a lot of stressed, rude people. No offense, but I never found the French to be good travelers or hosts for that matter.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:16 AM   #15

Just FYI, I would highly encourage anyone planning to travel to France (or anywhere else really) to keep up with the news specific to where you plan to travel. Personally speaking, I would hesitate going anywhere where there is a lot of conflict occurring... such as currently what is occurring in Paris.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #16
CAG

Good point and the State Department has traveler warning that can be checked.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #17

Here is an update, after much pondering and prayer we have decided to hold off on our trip to Europe. We felt we can take a 2 week vacation there any time (as long as they themselves and/or other countries don't destroy it, but then we have other bigger issues!). We have been to Europe before, so this is not our first time. It was just to some new locations for us.

We concluded that we may never again get this opportunity to take a multi months long trip and have no work worries (other than looking/finding a new position). Its an opportunity that a lot of people don't have or ever get, even after retirement, but yet talk about wanting to do it. Last year we got a taste of doing this type of travel and REALLY loved it. So we're taking the leap and doing it! Who knows it may turn full time and we sell the house (which we have discussed). We wanted to go and see and do things around the US before, heaven forbid, either of us have any major medical issues or worse.

Now the biggest question for us is do we take our dog or have the kids help watch him while we are gone! :-)

He is small, about 12lb, but still a puppy and learning things. We just are not sure how to travel and be away from him while we are out doing things that he would not be allowed to do. I.E. go to the Kennedy Space Center (which we already have planned and are staying at the Jetty campgrounds for). We're hoping to be there for a SpaceX launch. Anyway we would love to hear how to handle a pet while traveling.

By the way our hotel in Paris was right in the areas that the state department is saying to stay away from... so this is probably the best call for right now.