Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #21

I live in Indiana and have a lifetime carry permit. Currently 31 other states honor this permit. I respect other states laws and while traveling in those states that don't recognize my permit I will adjust accordingly.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
In the end, it comes down to a personal choice. I think you all know where I stand. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I Hate the cliche, but it rings true - especially today...

I always do my best to abide by each states gun laws, but will always abide by the aforementioned quote over any gun laws. Family comes first. There are other states that honor my CCW, and other states allow open carry. Typically the states I like to visit are gun friendly.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #23

to the OP what gun(s) are you traveling with? you don't say hand gun or long gun... Different requirements depending on where you are going and what you are taking...
Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #24

If you have a CCP many states offer reciprocity. Basically a state says if you acknowledge our permit we’ll acknowledge yours. I travel in 2 amendment friendly states period. So for example you’ll not see me in Kommiefornia. Regarding carry weapons in the camper, it’s no one’s business, if asked I’ll answer truthfully. HOWEVER, unless you have a warrant you’re NOT welcome in the camper. I carry in the cab, have a holster mounted for easy access.

If I’m stopped by LEO, I hand them my DL, Insurance, registration along with my CCP. The CCP tells the officer that at some point I’ve had a background check done and a Law Enforcement agency has approved me to carry a firearm and hopefully puts the Officer at ease. I let the Officer realize that I have a firearm and they can proceed as they feel comfortable. Typically I am asked if I have a firearm in a vehicle I answer yes and where it’s located. I keep both hands on the steering wheel and obviously act like it’s no big deal. NEVER reach, point or make a sudden movement... If you have the weapon legally, there’s no reason to be uncomfortable or nervous!

In Colorado the LEO can take possession of the firearm during the stop BUT they are required by law to return it at the end of the stop if no laws are broken. Only one time that has happened to me, the Officer refused to return the firearm and stated it could be picked up at the station. I informed him that according to Colorado law he must return it to me since no laws were broken. The situation got somewhat heated, on his end, and I simply asked for Sergeant. I keep a copy of the Colorado firearm laws in my vehicles at all time when the Sergeant arrived I asked if I could retrieve them. She stated absolutely so I pulled them out and showed her and the original officer. The sergeant, made the original officer return my firearm and apologize for the inconvenience. She then told me if I wanted to I could file a complaint, I stated that I did not feel it was necessary and that I simply felt that additional education was necessary. She concurred, and stated that it would be brought up in their morning briefings.

Some people are afraid of firearms, some do not understand them, and some are just plain ignorant when it comes to firearms. This is a CHOICE and a personal DECISION...however, often these individuals feel it’s necessary to force their opinions on the rest of us. If you’re a law-abiding citizen, and want to carry a firearm while traveling then KNOW the laws, understand your rights and enjoy the Freedoms of the 2nd amendment...
Old 07-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #25

I retired from a state police agency seven years ago. The prosecutor in the county I lived in at the time suggested I get a CPL. I did. I year and a half later I began working for a county police agency, got deputized and work twice a week. It's now my hobby job for the last 5+ years. I take time off whenever and however long I want with my lieutenant's blessing. I camped 7-8 weeks last year. I always carry but haven't ventured much out of Michigan and Indiana. Next year, we're heading west (SD, WY, MT) through IL, WI and MN to get there so I'll have to see where it's friendly (I won't be making any pitstops in Chicago).

This trip to Northern Michigan, I forgot my gun. I tried to talk my wife into a new gun but was met with a resounding no. I bought a dual fuel generator instead. Maybe I should forget my gun more often.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #26

I have traveled for over 40 years with a gun in my vehicle. Never had an issue. Of course, I don't draw attention to it or myself. Same with C.C. Only time I open carry is with a rifle during hunting season. Common sense goes a long way.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFactor1 View Post
I have traveled for over 40 years with a gun in my vehicle. Never had an issue. Of course, I don't draw attention to it or myself. Same with C.C. Only time I open carry is with a rifle during hunting season. Common sense goes a long way.

And there lyes the problem …!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
We travel with 2 handguns. I appreciate everyone’s perspective. We are full timers, all over the US. We carry them, separated from the ammo, in our trailer.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #29
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdrdream View Post
We travel with 2 handguns. I appreciate everyone’s perspective. We are full timers, all over the US. We carry them, separated from the ammo, in our trailer.
I would never assume to tell someone how to carry or store their weapon but I would simply say that if the ammo is far from the weapon neither is of much use in an emergency and generally that is why most of us carry. To have it available in an emergency.

A locked, fast open handgun safe would be my choice if I did not want it on me all the time.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I would never assume to tell someone how to carry or store their weapon but I would simply say that if the ammo is far from the weapon neither is of much use in an emergency and generally that is why most of us carry. To have it available in an emergency.

A locked, fast open handgun safe would be my choice if I did not want it on me all the time.

Agreed. An unloaded weapon is just an expensive paper weight.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I'm a resident of Michigan, and have a Michigan concealed carry permit. I only travel to states that honor my permit.
Yep, pretty much the same here.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #32

Remington 870 defender ( 12 gauge ),Smith & Wesson 9mm. know and practice all safety rules ( take a training course if you don't know ). I have never had a issue with law enforcement. I also don't advertise the fact that I am armed( i have been an NRA member for over 40 years ). No pro gun stickers on TV or TT. I will not travel to Canada or Mexico!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Remington 870 defender ( 12 gauge ),Smith & Wesson 9mm. know and practice all safety rules ( take a training course if you don't know ). I have never had a issue with law enforcement. I also don't advertise the fact that I am armed( i have been an NRA member for over 40 years ). No pro gun stickers on TV or TT. I will not travel to Canada or Mexico!
As a LEO, I have and still believe the #1 home defense weapon is any gauge pump action shotgun (with ammo or without)....Everyone on the planet knows that sound when you rack a pump action shotgun and once that sound is heard they will do anything/everything to get far far away!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

I agree 100%

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I live in Indiana and have a lifetime carry permit. Currently 31 other states honor this permit.
I'm jealous of some of you guys. I can carry in 36 states (out of state permits), but can't carry in my own home state. The only thing I can carry here is a Taser.

Reason I can't carry in my home state: Politics.... (after all, it's NJ).
Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #36

Both DW and I are CCW holders. So far are only state of concern is Illinois and I was told that as long as the gun & ammo are locked up there should be no problem. I did purchase a locking safe for our center console and that is where we put them. As far as hunting, I put them under our bed and the ammo is kept separate.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Old 07-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #37

I keep a loaded weapon next to the bed no matter where I am.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 07-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #38
RPR

Always be honest when officers question you. They have access to the nation wide data base. The can access the info and know how many guns are registered in your name, if you have a permit to carry etc. Big brother is watching. My son in law who works for the state drivers license division said they can almost bring up your life history!!!!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #39
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Always be honest when officers question you. They have access to the nation wide data base. The can access the info and know how many guns are registered in your name, if you have a permit to carry etc. Big brother is watching. My son in law who works for the state drivers license division said they can almost bring up your life history!!!!
Actually that is not correct. The "nation wide data base" for guns, handled by ATF is specifically not available to states. Those records are not computerized for the same reason. That protects you from having the "state" come in and take your guns. You can thank NRA for that one.

The other issue with knowing who has what on them is that some states, like Arizona, have a CC permit, but our law makers in their great wisdom passed a law that you can conceal carry without the permit. That is not honored by other states but still??

Old 07-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
CAG

I have never been one of those people that thinks that everyone in our government is out to screw us over and I do not believe in the nutsy idea that they are spreading "chem trails" to mess up our minds but I do believe, listing how many guns you carry, and your information on some Web site that everyone has access to is not a smart thing to do. Just saying.

Closed Thread