Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have never been one of those people that thinks that everyone in our government is out to screw us over and I do not believe in the nutsy idea that they are spreading "chem trails" to mess up our minds but I do believe, listing how many guns you carry, and your information on some Web site that everyone has access to is not a smart thing to do. Just saying.
Isn't this an anonymous web site/forum? Plus, I doubt the FEDS are tracking people on a RV forum... They have a bit more on their plate...

Every gun owner is already on some sort of "list", so good luck "hiding".
Old 07-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #42

Quote:
I have never been one of those people that thinks that everyone in our government is out to screw us over and I do not believe in the nutsy idea that they are spreading "chem trails" to mess up our minds but I do believe, listing how many guns you carry, and your information on some Web site that everyone has access to is not a smart thing to do. Just saying.

That's why I won't post on this subject.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
Old 07-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Actually that is not correct. The "nation wide data base" for guns, handled by ATF is specifically not available to states. Those records are not computerized for the same reason. That protects you from having the "state" come in and take your guns. You can thank NRA for that one.

The other issue with knowing who has what on them is that some states, like Arizona, have a CC permit, but our law makers in their great wisdom passed a law that you can conceal carry without the permit. That is not honored by other states but still??

Just to clarify...congress prohibits the Federal Gov (ATF) from having a national registration of firearms. Therefore, ATF has no idea what guns you have or don’t have. When you purchase a firearm you complete the form to have a (NICS) background check completed with the FBI. Those NICS checks are purged from the system and there is no record.

The only national registration of firearms with ATF are your National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms (machineguns, silencers, short barrels, etc). ATF cannot give out that info without a court order, as it is considered tax information.

Having said all the that...what your individual State does is a whole different ball of wax!!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #44
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Isn't this an anonymous web site/forum? Plus, I doubt the FEDS are tracking people on a RV forum... They have a bit more on their plate...

Every gun owner is already on some sort of "list", so good luck "hiding".
You don't have to be a member to be on this site. And from there, if you think you are anonymous on the Internet, well good luck with that.

Info mining, lots of that going on private and public.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #45
CAG

Now the point of sale, on the other hand does have your information on guns that you have purchased. There was a case where we were trying to track down a gun by serial number. I had mixed feelings with this one. We wanted to catch the perp but I did not want to find the serial number and the gun by some "kink" in the law about gun ownership.

The records were so messed up and of course all on paper that we did not find the weapon that way, thankfully, but we did get the perp without having to become a Supreme Court decision some years later.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #46

Unfortunately, I lost all my guns in a boating accident.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #47
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You don't have to be a member to be on this site. And from there, if you think you are anonymous on the Internet, well good luck with that.

Info mining, lots of that going on private and public.
That's exactly my point, if you own an electronic device connected to the Internet, you're not anonymous, so why worry about what you type on THIS forum...

And if you carry a Smartphone, EVERYTHING you do on it, has been compromised and mined...
Old 07-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Now the point of sale, on the other hand does have your information on guns that you have purchased. There was a case where we were trying to track down a gun by serial number. I had mixed feelings with this one. We wanted to catch the perp but I did not want to find the serial number and the gun by some "kink" in the law about gun ownership.
OK, so here's a question... when a LEO finds a handgun on a traffic stop, and takes it back to his cruiser, and enters the serial number in his laptop in the car, what actual database is he searching?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #49

Quote:
OK, so here's a question... when a LEO finds a handgun on a traffic stop, and takes it back to his cruiser, and enters the serial number in his laptop in the car, what actual database is he searching?

He’s searching NCIC where items are listed as stolen. You have to have known the serial # to have it entered as stolen. If you don’t write down your serial #’s and guns are stolen....good luck getting them back.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
He’s searching NCIC where items are listed as stolen. You have to have known the serial # to have it entered as stolen. If you don’t write down your serial #’s and guns are stolen....good luck getting them back.
Ahhh, that's what I was guessing, a self reported stolen database. I didn't think it was a database of purchases, but who really knows what floats around in .Gov databases...
Old 07-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #51

Gun Storge in RV

Time to change this thread up a little, I installed a large lockable tool box under my dinette seat using the DOT seatbelt hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Secure Storage (6).jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
CAG

Quote:
That's exactly my point, if you own an electronic device connected to the Internet, you're not anonymous, so why worry about what you type on THIS forum...

And if you carry a Smartphone, EVERYTHING you do on it, has been compromised and mined...
Exactly my point. If you post that you own guns anywhere, in any blog, user site etc. you are advertising that fact to the world.

But there are a few things that you can do to avoid some of the "tracing" and a good VPN is a start. If you try to trace me you may find I am Russia.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #53
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Exactly my point. If you post that you own guns anywhere, in any blog, user site etc. you are advertising that fact to the world.
So, based on my avatar and profile here, the world knows who I am, where I live and that I own guns? Interesting...

Should I go hide under my bed now?

Living in fear (of anything) isn't a good way to go through life...
Old 07-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #54
CAG

What ever floats your boat

There is a difference being fearful and being cautious. A fact that is learned with my job.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #55
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Time to change this thread up a little, I installed a large lockable tool box under my dinette seat using the DOT seatbelt hardware.
Where do the long guns go?

I wish I could do something similar, but in my state, if I got caught, I'd be making license plates for 10 years.

We actually had a discussion of what would be considered legal in transport in a RV. The laws in this state are really "gray". Since we can only transport handguns to and from the range, if you were moving in a RV, and weren't going to the range, you were screwed.

However, when you parked, and hooked up water, sewer and electric, the RV is considered your house, and you can have them in your possession...

All I can say is:
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #56

Quote:

I agree somewhat, what I try and do is to minimize the amount of personal information that I had out. I don't give out my real birthday on things like social media and forums. If they ask for a phone number I still have a landline with a fax machine so that's the number I give them, I hand out my cellphone number to family and friends,. Gmail is my email junk box and a spam filter on my computer. My whole life isn't on my cellphone, no credit card or bank stuff. I recently bought another digital pocket camera, my kids thought I was nuts, just use your phone. Not gonna get tested for this covid as I don't want the results, good or bad, going on my medical record, was pissed that my kids did the dna test. Not a tin foil beanie guy just wanta be left alone.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
Old 07-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Where do the long guns go?

I wish I could do something similar, but in my state, if I got caught, I'd be making license plates for 10 years.

We actually had a discussion of what would be considered legal in transport in a RV. The laws in this state are really "gray". Since we can only transport handguns to and from the range, if you were moving in a RV, and weren't going to the range, you were screwed.

However, when you parked, and hooked up water, sewer and electric, the RV is considered your house, and you can have them in your possession...

All I can say is:
Being in your neighboring state. Believe me.....we truly sympathize with you brother!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #58

Quote:
I was out kayaking recently with all my handguns. A rogue wave hit the kayak, overturning it, and sending all my firearms to the bottom of Lake Michigan. I was unable to locate or retrieve them.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post

Awesome setup.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #60
Lost in the Woods

For those of you who think by not posting on a forum like this, no one will know you own guns, and you're not on a list and are "grey". Here is a interesting article:
Think Your Guns are Off the Grid? 6-Ways They are Tracking You

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/06/thi...-tracking-you/
Closed Thread