Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
Traveling with guns...

Those of you that travel from state to state and have guns. Any advice? Precautions? Ever had legal issues involving traveling with a gun(s)?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #2

NOOOOOOO Not this person, Not Happening !!!!
Old 07-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Team

This thread has been re-opened.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #4

Been a long times since I traveled with guns. Use to when I went out to Montana. I always broke my weapons down, and stored the bolt and ammo separate in locations. I have not crossed into Canada, but I know they have strict gun policies.

Years ago, there was a bunch of posts on installing gun safes, or cabinets specifically for safe transport.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #5

We only travel in gun friendly States....nuff said.

https://handgunlaw.us/
Old 07-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

This is a very touchy subject - I am retired law enforcement and a strong 2nd amendment supporter. There are many situations where having a firearm will prove crucial but unfortunately every state has different laws / rules and even subjective enforcement by different law enforcement officers and agencies.

Best rule of thumb is research each state law you will be traveling through and decide whether you can comply and if you choose not to comply are willing to accept the consequences if you have to use the weapon.

I would never have taken enforcement action against a lawful gun owner for simply possessing a gun in my state even if it was not in compliance with law. However, should they have been forced to use that gun in defense of themselves, their family or others, I can't say they would not have faced charges if they were not in full compliance. So possession differs greatly from actual use.

In the end, it comes down to a personal choice. I think you all know where I stand. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I Hate the cliche, but it rings true - especially today...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 07-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Read, understand and carry a copy of the Federal Law regarding the transport of firearms. Locked container, weapon and ammo separate with no stopping overnight. I plan travel through states that honor my permits and try to avoid states that are not gun friendly since they do not deserve one cent of my money.

I do not travel into Canada or Mexico with firearms. That is a quick trip to jail. If traveling to Alaska and a firearm is needed it is shipped back and forth via FFL holders and then picked up upon arrival. This avoids entering Canada with a firearm.

Basically, know the laws and know which states may honor any permit you may have. Do not make reservations or spend the night in any state that is not gun friendly. Doing so could cause you to fall under that states laws rather than the federal law for transport.

Enjoy the travels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #8

"In the end, it comes down to a personal choice. I think you all know where I stand. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I Hate the cliche, but it rings true - especially today..."

So true.........I have a carry permit and travel all over the US. Hope I never have to us it. Better to have one and not need it, then to need it and not have one.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
We only travel in gun friendly States....nuff said.

https://handgunlaw.us/

^^This^^. I have permits from three state so it make me legal in about 38 states or so, the states that I'm not legal in don't go or I do it the legal way.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is a very touchy subject - I am retired law enforcement and a strong 2nd amendment supporter. There are many situations where having a firearm will prove crucial but unfortunately every state has different laws / rules and even subjective enforcement by different law enforcement officers and agencies.

Best rule of thumb is research each state law you will be traveling through and decide whether you can comply and if you choose not to comply are willing to accept the consequences if you have to use the weapon.

I would never have taken enforcement action against a lawful gun owner for simply possessing a gun in my state even if it was not in compliance with law. However, should they have been forced to use that gun in defense of themselves, their family or others, I can't say they would not have faced charges if they were not in full compliance. So possession differs greatly from actual use.

In the end, it comes down to a personal choice. I think you all know where I stand. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I Hate the cliche, but it rings true - especially today...

Yes, I agree with this, I do do it the right way so the states that I can't carry in if there is a state that I can't carry in I will unload and travel through there state.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
CAG

I love the comments “l would rather be tried....” but the problem with that is you may end up defending yourself in someplace like California or New York for simply possession of a handgun and the costs will make you rethink the bravado statements about protecting yourself.

There are Websites that will show you which states you can carry, which states honor CC of other states and which states you best be very careful. 35 years enforcing laws in the Phoenix Metro area and I never had to arrest anyone for carry violations. Most told me that they were and I appreciated that.

I often carried while in California but I knew that if I were stopped and for some reason searched, I was likely going to lose the weapon and be charged even though I carried the badge with me when off duty. If I used the weapon things could get worse.

Take the time to research each state you plan to trial in or through. It may save you some serious cash, time trying to clear yourself and maybe some time in a cell.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Yes, in a safe.

Wouldn't leave home without it and a NRA member since 1979.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Safe (1).jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #13
Site Team

How about hunting guns like rifles and shotguns? Are they allowed in most states?
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
How about hunting guns like rifles and shotguns? Are they allowed in most states?
Most do but you need to look at each state as laws are different. Some need permis some do not.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
^^This^^. I have permits from three state so it make me legal in about 38 states or so, the states that I'm not legal in don't go or I do it the legal way.

If you are retired LEO then CCW LEOSA covers all.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I love the comments “l would rather be tried....” but the problem with that is you may end up defending yourself in someplace like California or New York for simply possession of a handgun and the costs will make you rethink the bravado statements about protecting yourself.

There are Websites that will show you which states you can carry, which states honor CC of other states and which states you best be very careful. 35 years enforcing laws in the Phoenix Metro area and I never had to arrest anyone for carry violations. Most told me that they were and I appreciated that.

I often carried while in California but I knew that if I were stopped and for some reason searched, I was likely going to lose the weapon and be charged even though I carried the badge with me when off duty. If I used the weapon things could get worse.

Take the time to research each state you plan to trial in or through. It may save you some serious cash, time trying to clear yourself and maybe some time in a cell.
No "Bravado" about it brother. Simply stating that I'd rather survive an encounter and deal with whatever comes next. Also Belong to the USCCA for a bit of financial peace of mind.... And I already live in the once great State of New York.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
No "Bravado" about it brother. Simply stating that I'd rather survive an encounter and deal with whatever comes next. Also Belong to the USCCA for a bit of financial peace of mind....
Be sure to double check to see if you are covered in states that specifically outlaw handgun possession. If you pull and are arrested for illegal possession and display, well check. You may not be covered.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #18

In states that I'm not cover I abide by the rules, I'm not out to break any law so if I'm traveling through those states that my CCL is not cover I will look at the laws. I have no need to go to some states so I am good in about 99% of the times.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #19

Most of the time we are camped where animals are a bigger problem than people. I don’t want to encounter a momma bear or moose without being armed.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #20

I'm a resident of Michigan, and have a Michigan concealed carry permit. I only travel to states that honor my permit.
Closed Thread