Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

travelling alone

hi, just turned 66 and wondering if anyone has ideas on travelling with others. I'm trying to get from boston, to California this year to see my son. I've completely restored and re invented my 2005 165. you can look up posts on what I've done so far. I'd rather not travel alone. I have friends / girlfriends that would go but timing is a problem.i'm looking for groups, or individuals that may travel together. I belong to good sam and AAA, so I'm protected in a sense. I just don't feel comfortable travelling in this great old country of ours. time or route is not really a problem. even some ideas on safe routes would be nice. I'm an in shape carpenter of over 50 years, so I'm capable. I also have a nephew in Kansas city and friends in florida., that could make a difference in the route I choose.I'm just looking for some input on how I could do this and not be so paranoid about the trip...thanks for any thoughts
rewcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

What are your fears?

Mechanical breakdown: get good insurance coverage and a cell phone.
The boogyman? A 12 ga. shotgun and a loud dog.
The law? Slow down. and signal your intentions.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Don't carry magazines over 10 round capacity.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

Pay attention to your "spidey sense". If something doesn't feel right, get out of there.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

Being with a group is a great idea. I bet if you planned it right, you could attend some kind of group outing or festival every day of your travel across the country.

I would say that generally if you're camping with other RVers in parks or campgrounds, you're relatively safe. Introduce yourself to your neighbors and I'm sure you'll become fast friends. In my experience, most campers tend to watch out for each other. Sure, you run into the occasional bad apple, but they are the exception.

As for out there on the road in the event of a breakdown or something, well that's a little tougher to plan for. I would say stay to the main thoroughfares (like interstates) and carry at least one roadside assistance program. Also a good set of tools that you can and know how to use to get you out of a pinch, along with a few strategic spare parts.

A "personal protection" item will also bring a degree of comfort if you're well versed in it's use. (conversations like this invariably resort to gun-talk which gets them shut down; this is not a gun forum, but you have a very valid question and concern, and I would like to see the discussion progress.)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

I travel every year from Canada to SoCal for the winter with never a problem.. but if you feel you need someone with you join LoW's (Loners on Wheels) and you will probably find someone doing that trip..just depends on if you can fit their schedule.
Loners on Wheels - Home
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #7

This forum is a great start.
You are tech savy enough for being here
I have found that planning a route is made alot easier by sharing reviews on sites like Yelp or Urban spoon for places to stay
Since you have a trailer you have a place to stay so Apps for Walmart parking,Next exit or camp grounds like KOA are great and the people who have stayed there can be your compass as to whether their experience was a good one or not
We did a Motorcycle tour through Chicago and google maps was a blessing,.
Not only could you plan your route but you could zoom right down to to Street View and see the condition of the neighborhood and roadway long before you ever left
ANsd as mention by other stick to populated area ,well lit and trust your sixth sense if anything doesnt feel right
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #8

I can understand not wanting to travel alone. When we were at Lake Mead RV Village in November there was a group of 55+ that were together. Maybe 15 huge motorhomes. I don't know if they caravaned there or just met up. I didn't get their name but perhaps you could call the campground.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #9

Google this: caravan and motorhome club

Several promising links came up.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Have you looked at Family Campers and RVers? Family Campers and RVers | Where Strangers Become Friends and Friends Become Family
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

I have been travelling single for 7 years and find if I have done preventive maintenance there have been no machainal problems yet. Had a couple of flat tires that I can change (bring electric impact drill) myself, found that hardly anyone stopped when I was pulled over (2 flats two people pulled over one each). Stop early and pick good camp sites but I have also stayed at walmart and different service stations with no problem. I am 65 years old now. But if you can find someone to travel with it is nice sharing the wonders of the trip, it is a grand country.

Jack
advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Never stay alone at rural abandon campsites unless the owner of the campsite lives there.
While travelling just use common sense and listen to what your gut tells you.
Main Highways are usually board but faster in distance, secondary highways through towns are a bit slower to travel but more scenery. Hitch-hikers I wouldn't prefer unless I know the person. For the rest others have giving good advice.

I have stayed in the LA area on a super market parking lot............well 3 times they tried my door...............They heard the dog bark, but we wouldn't be a match to look in the hole of a gun. Now I always surround me with other campers or truck stops.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #13

We stayed for a while at a nice RV park in NM. It was a thru station for many folks during the winter and spring. We saw quite a few traveling groups go through. They would show up and have their own get togethers during the stay (from one night to a week depending on the group). Some were brand specific and some were not. One group was a 'wine tasting'. They would stay and hit all the winery's in the area. One group was a motorcycle group. They all stopped and went on bike rides for a couple of days.

Some of the groups traveled together and some just chose a spot to meet at again in a couple of days.

Best bet is to visit with folks at various CG's to see what is going on. Keep in mind that most of these folks will not be seen in a run down CG, mostly "RV resorts" or similar.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You can cross the country going from KOA to KOA.
They are like McDonalds. Not always the most scenic CG, but safe and clean. Never felt unsafe.
Bear spray is legal in all 50 states :-)

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #15

As noted above... structured campgrounds with some kind of a host increase your safety factors, parking lots lower it. Targeted campgrounds can increase that safety with some prior research.

Most of our long haul camping trips we have tried to avoid highway (a cool option on google maps), unless we were in a hurry.

Keep your speeds down, enjoy the scenery and increased fuel economy

Look into keeping your drive times shorter for each day. Add 1/3rd more time at least to whatever the maps calculate for you. A 6-8 hour drive time can easily turn into a 12-16 hour day through all sorts of variables, Kodak moments, vehicle issues, refueling, breaks... etc

Walmarts often have huge parking lots for re-supply and should be safe for daytime stops of newer travelers.

Should be a great trip!
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #16

Once you get away from the coasts I have never felt uncomfortable, and I have done that trip several times on a Motorcycle alone and with my wife. KOA is a good choice and are all across the country. Your route will be determined by your time and desires to "see" sights. Also which part of California your going to.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #17

Get some audio books

When we leave for a trip, I'm usually the only one awake. I find the time goes much quicker and I don't get upset about traffic if I have some audio books to listen too.
Some thoughts on your safety would be carry a big flashlight(duel purpose- light or a "bat"). Most robberies are about getting the next fix, keep most of your valuables hidden and a couple bucks in your front pocket. A friend used this technique and said they felt better giving away a few bucks vs shooting someone.
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Ditto on the bear spray. Non lethal and you won't spend the next 6 years in court because you shot someone.

Avoid Walmart parking lots unless there are already other campers there. There have been some incidents recently.

If you stay in motels, check out 'bedbugregistry.com'. It's a database covering lodging that has been treated for the critters.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #19

Safety. We travel a lot cross country. For safety I would stay on interstates and map out KOA's to stay at along the way. There are very few KOA's that have been bad for us. I would pick them for tent camping when I was on my motorcycle and traveling as well.

Areas to avoid if possible are places like oil fields where all the RV places are simply parking lots for the workers trailers. They are usually very safe, just not the best places I have stayed at. Areas where there are mines, very large construction projects. The workers are not the problem, it is the run down state of most of the parks and where the parks are located.

Look at sites like campgroundreviews.com or allstays. They give you good descriptions of almost all the rv parks around the country and the feedback from previous visitors is priceless.

Last, while I do have guns I have never needed to even pull one out in all the years we have had an RV. I have found that pepper spray is the best thing to have around. Bear spray sounds better, but, it deploys a fog of pepper, not a direct shot to the face. Not as effective and it is more expensive than the stuff made for people. I have heard of people using wasp spray but not sure what legal issues there would be with that.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
...snip

I have heard of people using wasp spray but not sure what legal issues there would be with that.
Wasp spray DOES NOT WORK! Only use real OC Pepper Spray (like Sabre Red). My dad carries bear spray, and thankfully has never had to use it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote