Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

Trip Planning Software

I'm old school. I still carry a road atlas just in case.I'm also a planner. Before I hook up, I know which roads I'll be taking, where my fuel stops and rest stops are, and approximately how much extra time additional stops will add. I used to use MS Streets & Trips. I still can, but it's no longer supported. We're not full timing yet so I still drive a gas truck. Our Jayco is fairly light, but those long uphills can be a challenge.
I'm looking for recommendations for trip planning software that gives me all the above and elevations and road grades. I'm not impressed with the online planners as they are designed to get you to their places of interest.
Next trip coming up is Minneapolis to Phoenix for the race (NASCAR of course!). I've done the trip to Prescott several times and am very familiar with Albuquerque. I'd like to find a flatter route - possibly along 60.
I'd like your software comments/recommendations, route suggestions in NM, etc. Maybe we'll see you at the race!
PapaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
CAG

If the races even allow (Arizona Covid rules) fans. I will be surprised if they allow the "packing" that has been the past.

The only flat route you will find to get here is the southern route via I-10 and you are probably still going to have to go through Albuquerque and Tijeras Canyon. There really is no route that you can take and not have mountains. This is the Rockies you know.

I am not sure what you are looking for in software but there are only so many routes that you can take and every software program is going to cover the same routes. You can probably avoid some mountains by using back roads but good luck with that. Slow traffic and many towns.

Covid issues are picking up here and while I doubt that we will go into another total shutdown, I expect that some restrictions are coming and it may have a negative impact on our snowbirds.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

Check out Google Maps. There's an option on it so you can view elevation maps. I don't know if you can fine-tune your route if you're using Google Maps for navigation but the elevation map feature would probably be really useful if you're already accustomed to planning routes on paper.
trentkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

We use RV Trip Wizard. It provides altitude and grades and knows you height, weight, length, propane, etc. We also just got a Garmin RV 785, which I like better than the Rand McNally RV GPS. I also cross check with the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Atlas.

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #5

I use a Garmin RV GPS and use their Base Camp software, among other things, for trip planning. Base Camp allows you to set parameters for your RV (height, weight, etc.) as well as the types of roads you'd like to take/avoid.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

Try Allstate’s. Camp & Rv.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote