Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

What can a camper tolerate for cold weather?

Hi,

I own a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT fifth wheel. I live in central New York. Right now my camper sits in storage from Columbus Day to Memorial Day. I am a couple years from retirement. I am considering heading South for the months of January through March. I am looking at North Carolina but I know it still gets "cold" there and they still get snow.

How do I know what my camper can sustain for cold and where is a good place to learn more about cold weather camping? How far South do I need to go? Any suggestions for year round, seasonal campgrounds?
Janet224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

Don’t come to Florida we are full up already....Maybe California...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #3

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking...

You can camp in any weather that you desire to camp, but comfort will become an issue. Before kids, my wife and I would camp year round. We went to the Pocono Mts in November. It was below freezing the entire time. We burned through 2 30# tanks of propane in one weekend in a small Nash camper. We went to NYC in December. It was below freezing the entire time. We brought an electric space heater and a heated mattress pad to make it more comfortable.

Neither time did we use water (water usually is shut off in areas that experience freezing weather). We brought bottled water to drink and went to the bathhouse to shower, toilet and brush teeth. Usually the parks are pretty vacant in freezing weather, so its easier to get a convenient site near a bathhouse.

Now that we have young kids, we try to avoid temps below the 40's for camping. Northern North Carolina will still get some nights below freezing in the winter. I'd suggest lower North Carolina into South Carolina, and closer to the coast, for warmer winter temps. An occasional night below freezing is manageable, but extended hours below freezing will result in frozen water lines and potential for problems.

We are in Florida right now for a 3 week winter getaway. LOTS of retirees down here that spend 4-6 months in the warmer weather. The further south you go the warmer the temps, the higher the rates and the harder to find sites. You've gotta find that fine line between warm enough, cheap enough and accessible enough. Warm and cheap are relative, everyone has a different definition for those. Good luck!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

There are lots of campgrounds open in North Carolina now. Stay anywhere east of Charlotte and may get a occasional nite below 30 but mostly in the 50s or higher. I live 20 mile east of charlotte and today it was 40. In a couple of days its going to be 72. As mentioned Myrtle Beach, Sc is even warmer and lots of campgrounds with lots of vacancies. Come on down.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

I lived in a 1997 Coachman TT in a park for about 22 months here in southeastern Oregon. I used both gas furnace and a electric space heater. The water hose had heat tape on it so it would not freeze. I hoped that there was enough of a thaw to dump the holding tanks every week or so. I did have cheap skirting on it in the worst of the winter months.
I think I found a way to cure the freeze up we had in the Jayco last Oct. We were dry camping and it got down to 8 degrees in a town a 10 or 15 miles from where we were camped. I just need to add more insulation to the low point drains that were out in the cold.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #6

Frigid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet224 View Post
Hi,

How do I know what my camper can sustain for cold and where is a good place to learn more about cold weather camping? How far South do I need to go? Any suggestions for year round, seasonal campgrounds?

A year ago I took a FR Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL to Arlington< Tx arrived in 60+ degree bliss, with a front coming in. Left gray tank drain open and bath sink dripping. Woke up to 18 degree outside temp and 68 inside. Used strip heater in AC in lieu of furnace, with space heater running half power. My last two TTs I have installed dedicated 20amp outlet just for this purpose. Not even a cover on underbelly, wouldn't suggest much below 15 degrees without tank heat and covers. I have a 2002 FR Cherokee 5r with winter package, water lines freeze where pass through threshold to main door at about 10 degrees, pirit hose keeps water coming from faucet.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:25 AM   #7

Hi, yep not planning on Florida. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was mostly worried about water. Would rather not have to dry camp. So just looking for how far I have to go to still have water.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Don’t come to Florida we are full up already....Maybe California...

That reminds me of the Seinfeld show (Don't come to Del a fista were totally full)
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
That reminds me of the Seinfeld show (Don't come to Del a fista were totally full)

Del Boca Vista [emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping in the south east