Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Winter setup

My brother-in-laws niece is being treated for luekemia, she is six years old. We are loaning our trailer to her family to stay in at the hospital. They have a small RV area there for this purpose, and won't be in it for the entire time but will be in it on a regular basis. Only one parent can sleep in the girls room at a time. This way they can bring their other two kids out and be able to stay together. I need some help as to how to keep my trailer from freezing up while it is there. We are expecting a cooler than normal winter here, so there could be periods of time below freezing. I am planning on winterizing the outside shower and putting a radiator style heater in side the trailer to keep it warm and dry. The trailer will be setup in Vancouver BC.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your in-laws relative. I pray that she can recover from this deadly illness.
You don't write much info about the weather in your place during the winter, if you can tell us, people will give a more precise answer to your question.
windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the well wishes, we have been told that her form of luekemia is the easiest to treat, a bit of a silver lining. In Vancouver the climate is similar to Seattle. We do go below freezing at times and we will go at times 5-10 degrees below freezing for 5-7 days a couple of times a year. The average temp in the winter is about 40F. We are expecting a colder winter this year not like the Olympics last year. The trailer has heated tanks but I am unsure how they are heated.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #4

I hope everything goes well for the family. If you have full hook-ups at the site then I would get heat tape for your water lines and you should be good to go, but if not full hook-ups then I would winterize and see if you have access to washrooms, showers etc. at the hospital and then the only thing you would need is propane or if you have electric then a couple of space heaters. Is this a Children' s Hospital in Vancouver? I don't think I have heard of an RV park before at any hospital, but good on them if they do.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

It is at Children's Hospital, they have space for a few RV's with power and water, apparently a truck comes by to pump out the trailers on site. I have a couple of warranty issues to get looked after tomorrow and hopefully I can take it out after that. I have been reading about doing this and if we run off the holding tank for water in cold weather it should stay fine with the heat on. We are going to put an oil filled radiator heater inside as well. If we get an extended cold snap then we will winterize the water lines and they can just sleep in it and maybe dump water in the toilet to flush it. I guess play it by ear. I will keep taking advise on the trailer and well wishes for Sidney, she is only six and taking it like a trooper, poor little girl.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Just an update, all is going well with Sydney's treatment, she is an amazing little girl. She just had her second to last treatment last week and the nest should be in about 3 more weeks. Here is an article from when the Vancouver Canucks visited Children's Hospital.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=545702

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
Just an update, all is going well with Sydney's treatment, she is an amazing little girl. She just had her second to last treatment last week and the nest should be in about 3 more weeks. Here is an article from when the Vancouver Canucks visited Children's Hospital.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=545702
Nice article. Hope the next one does work out to be the last and she can enjoy permanent remission! Thanks for sharing!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote