Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Winterize or not before a trip?

We will start our trip when temperatures are freezing where we live but we are arriving at our destination 2 days later where it won't be freezing.

Do I need to winterize the RV and then de-winterize it when we arrive at our destination? Hard to do at a campground. Are there alternatives? Perhaps partially putting some antifreeze in tanks?

Appreciate any advice that can help us.
wguillioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #2

Do you have the option to blow the lines out instead of running AF through them? It'll all depend on how long the rig is subject to the below temps. If it's a quick trip like you're saying, I probably wouldn't worry about it. But if it's gonna sit anywhere for a period of time, then yeah. I wouldn't do anything to the tanks.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #3

how cold how long.. generally it has to be below freezing for at least 12 hours... i doubt you need to... rule of thumb is every degree below zero you have that many hours before it freezes up.. so if it is 24 you have 24 hours ...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

Blow the lines out, and don’t worry about the antifreeze. Occasionally, I’ll set the furnace 50° when going down the road to keep it from getting to deep freeze when it’s really cold.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Drain the system and leave the taps open. Unless you are expecting a hard cold (unlikely at this time of year), that should be fine. A couple of degrees below freezing outside, the lines inside your trailer will generally be comfortably above freezing and should be just fine.

You should also be okay with a little bit of water in the tanks, but I would try to have them as empty as possible. If your underbelly is not wrapped, they might get colder than the inside but they have lots of room for a small amount of water to expand when freezing.

You can also try heating the inside of your trailer occasionally during the trip if things are getting very cold. Run your furnace for 10-15 minutes every couple of hours to keep things warm.

Another thought (a trick I use at the cottage with an unheated crawlspace) - get a remote thermometer and place it inside a cabinet against a water pipe in an area you think will get coldest. It will tell you just how cold your lines are getting. I use this so I don't have to turn on the supplemental heat to stop the pipes from freezing. It can get VERY cold outside before an enclosed space gets cold enough to freeze.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguillioli View Post
We will start our trip when temperatures are freezing where we live but we are arriving at our destination 2 days later where it won't be freezing......snip
Your 2-day trip can become a 3-plus day trip in the event of a breakdown or bad weather. Much easier to de-winterize than winterize while en-route.

I depart (mid November) winterized during my 3-day (minimum) trip from Michigan to Texas every winter. Once I'm into Missouri/Arkansas I will consider de-winterizing prior to reaching my Texas destination.

I carry a 6-gallon plastic container of travel water for use of the toilet/sink, and a spare gallon of antifreeze.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:13 AM   #7

Don't know when you are going but we will winterize soon so any trip in the winter involves de winterizing. We do this at a full service campground with sewer hookups.
As Rustic points out travel winterized is easy.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #8

Let's look at it differently, "How much does a RV plumber cost?"
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #9

We live in pa. And when we head to Florida I just blow out the lines. We head south in the middle of January. When going home we go to an tire pressure machine at a gas station and blow it our. I pull the plug on the water heater at the campground. After I blow out the lines I put anti freeze in the drains. The holding tank valves are pulled. Never had a problem. We stay at a hotel on the way home one night.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize