Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

1st Florida trip

Will be taking our first trip to Disney in Florida in a week. Have trip planned out, loaded to GPS. Will also be using Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. But there is no better info. than from the Rvr's who have done it. Is there anything I should be worrried about? Low Bridges, certain Cities to avoid along the way?
I will be coming in from Az. and have picked out a couple of places to stay along the way. One in particular is the KOA in San Antonio. Has anyone stayed there? Is it easy to get in and out of? We will be spending a few nights there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Can you program your RV profile into your GPS to avoid any issues with bridges or other places you don't want to be in? It gives me a good deal peace of mind. We primarily rely on our Garmin for directions but occasionally in the morning I'll put my day into Google Maps just to get another view.

We are just now heading home to Vermont from Florida where we wintered for five months. Hope your time is enjoyable as was ours! [emoji41]
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #3

Sperman3 Thanks for your reply. I do have my RV profile loaded in my GPS. I was looking for some input on I-75 and I-4 in Florida and the San Antonio area as to how RV friendly they are. We are meeting 3 of our G’kids At Disney. So yes it will be enjoyable. Safe travels back to Vermont. I am originally from Springfield,Mass have been to Vt. Countless times.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 AM   #4

KOA in San Antonio is a great place to camp in the city. Easy access getting in and out, your only hurdle will be construction and traffic.

I-10 junction to I-35, just plan ahead well in advance for your exits, I recommend you do not travel in the right lane as it commonly becomes a “Right lane must exit”. Also, the majority of the exits in San Antonio will put you onto one way frontage roads, so you will be merging into traffic at 45-50 mph.

I lived there for 2 years and stayed at the KOA for a couple of weeks while getting settled in, the park is nice, gated entrance, very secure. Nice pool and facilities.

Close to downtown for the river walk and the Alamo, less than a mile from AT&T Stadium where the San Antonio Spurs play, and close to Fort Sam Houston.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas is great if you’re into big roller coasters, it was a favorite place of ours.

For BBQ, find a Rudy’s - they’re awesome!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

I4 and I75 are major highways. Unless you have a massively oversized trailer, you'll be fine.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Agreed on 75 and 4 being plenty big and able to handle the rig. I assume once you come down 75, you're going to take off in Wildwood on the turnpike to go from 75 to 4 in orlando? If so just remember that is a toll road.

In Mobile, stay on I-10 and go through that tunnel. Do not allow the GPS to route you off I-10 to a different tunnel. That other tunnel is only 12' tall, but the one on I-10 is plenty big. It has no Propane restrictions, so you're good there.

Lastly, if you're looking for any overnight spots or places to stay on the way back, i'm in Fort White, FL on a couple of waterfront acres with a single-site campsite on it for friends and family. Here's the link so you can see location and pictures. https://www.hipcamp.com/florida/4a-r...ature-paradise

If you're interested, PM me so I can block the dates so noone books it. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the info. Notes will be made for sure. foretm your offer sounds good. We will be heading to Charleston SC after Disney. Have not looked at our return trip options yet. Winging it at this point.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Sounds like your on Interstate mostly check out the iEXIT app it’s a live following app with map that gives you info about all services available at all exits on the interstate system. I drive MO to FL through Orlando -I75, I4 - FL turnpike ,to the space coast several times a year , no issues other then traffic .Check out getting an EPASS for all those toll roads in Fl.
IEXIT is a good app imo ..... ymmv....

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
I was looking for some input on I-75 and I-4 in Florida.

We have stayed at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds several times and travel the I-10/I-75/Florida Turnpike to Disney with our Fifth Wheel. Your path is clear all the way to Disney via your route in Florida.

I would suggest rather than using I-4 to Disney that you take exit 267A off of the Turnpike onto the 429 (Toll Road). It will by-pass I-4 which can be a traffic nightmare. BTW, stay on 429 until the Western Way exit to Disneyworld.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
We have stayed at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds several times and travel the I-10/I-75/Florida Turnpike to Disney with our Fifth Wheel. Your path is clear all the way to Disney via your route in Florida.

I would suggest rather than using I-4 to Disney that you take exit 267A off of the Turnpike onto the 429 (Toll Road). It will by-pass I-4 which can be a traffic nightmare. BTW, stay on 429 until the Western Way exit to Disneyworld.
Second that.. I 4 is a nightmare even with a small TT like ours. The tolls are worth it. Going to Charleston is fine..95 and 26 is popular with RV ers.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #11

2x on the toll roads in FL. We’ve also stayed at the San Antonio KOA a couple of times and find it a very nice place. I-10 has a particularly rough stretch between Lafayette and Baton R. I-12 will bypass New Orleans and has construction still on-going I think but is better than following I-10 thru NO (IMHO).
Tell the Mouse I’ll be back as quickly as I can.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

We will also be visiting the Mouse soon, but from Texas.
Houston can be a bear, depending upon the time of day.
Do not drive through Houston during rush hour. And the traffic extends miles and miles outside of Houston.
During non-rush times, go slow and watch your lanes--they tend to exit or change without much warning.
We have stayed in the Houston East RV Park on I 10 in Mont Belvieu (east of Houston). It's clean and good for an overnight stop. The same people that own the Mont Belvieu location also own a Katy, TX location. We have not stayed there, however.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all of the info. Notes will be made for sure. foretm your offer sounds good. We will be heading to Charleston SC after Disney. Have not looked at our return trip options yet. Winging it at this point.
Have you booked a site in Charleston yet?
We live here and make that run often. If I can offer any suggestions let me know.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #14

Have a good trip.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #15

Enjoy your time at Disney. Fort Wilderness Campground is a great place.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

I live in San Antonio. I have driven I-10 to Orlando and back a few times and am not aware of any low bridges.

Your biggest issue is avoiding Houston and Baton Rouge, LA during rush hour. Baton Rouge gets backed up real bad at the bridge on I-10 going east. The last time I went that way it took three hours to go 35 miles. Once over the bridge it is you are clear.

I-10 can be a bit rough east of Houston for a while. There is a lot of construction east of Houston also.

Take your time, be patient and enjoy the Waffle Houses.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #17

The KOA in San Antonio is lovely. We are from Florida and traveled out to Utah last year - came home along I10 to I75. There is extensive construction through Orlando on I4. We usually take 417 around the east side of the city or 429 around the west side of the city. You can get to Disney from either of those routes. The 429 is much less traveled and you can get into Disney from that side, too. If you do come through Orlando on I4, avoid rush hour and stay in the middle lane. There is a lot of truck traffic and lane shifts - just take your time.
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #18

Hope you had a great WDW experience. We stated at Ft. W with the grandkids in our Greyhawk a few weeks ago.

We live in suburban Charleston. A good campground spot is oakplantationcampground.com we have stayed there just to do it.

Even better is a Charleston County Park, James Island Co. Park. Excellent.

Recommend both for convenience to downtown.

PM me for questions.

Previously:
Flagstaff MicroLite
Jayco Jay pop-up
Tent.... Several.
Campers for 40 plus years
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Will be taking our first trip to Disney in Florida in a week. Have trip planned out, loaded to GPS. Will also be using Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. But there is no better info. than from the Rvr's who have done it. Is there anything I should be worrried about? Low Bridges, certain Cities to avoid along the way?
I will be coming in from Az. and have picked out a couple of places to stay along the way. One in particular is the KOA in San Antonio. Has anyone stayed there? Is it easy to get in and out of? We will be spending a few nights there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,
Our first trip ever with our tt (2016 jayflight 287bhsw) was to Disney from Michigan. We tried to plan our stops but just winged it and it worked out fine. We used the KOA app and stopped in KOA’s along the way there and back with no issues. They have late night check in so if you arrive after business hours they’ll leave you an access key (if the park is equipped with a gate) and a map to your site.

Overall great experience - we’re doing it again next year.
Castmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #20

Haven't made it to Disney yet in our Greyhawk, but Flamingo RV Park in Jacksonville was a great park, as well as https://www.lakeairerv.com/ near Charleston, SC. Enjoy!
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote