Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

1st Trip of the Season

Well we made it though our first trip of the season. We went with some friends to the Walnut Hills KOA in Staunton, VA. Left the house Friday abound 1pm. Decided to take the highway not knowing that we were having 30 to 40mph wind gust which made for an interesting tow. We only had about 30 miles to go so I kept the rig at 60mph and took it easy. At least the rain they had called for decided not to show up. When we got the the campground set up was a little sloppy. With all of the snow and rain we have had it feels like we live in a swamp. Other than that everything was a breeze. Did some fishing with the kids and got a fire going. Saturday was nice and the weather held out until we were done fixing supper. We did some dutch over experimenting this weekend which turned out great. (Breakfast Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie). The dutch oven I had refurbished was still a little sticky so I coated it with some oil and hooked it to the tripod over the fire. Figured since we were just sitting by the fire drinking we might as well. Since it was raining after dinner we enjoyed a movie, got cleaned up and packed it in for the night. We woke up Sunday morning to snow flurries. Nothing was sticking to the road so we loaded up and headed home. We had a great time and didn't let the weather stop us. Some people at work asked me why I was still going if it was going to rain. My answer was, It's going to be raining at home too so why not. Hope everyone else get's to head out soon. This winter has been a rough one.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

You said it-this has been a very long, dreary winter. I was just looking at the website for Walnut Hills a few nights ago and it looks like a great CG! I'll be taking my 5 year old to Newport News Park this weekend for her first camping experience- and my recently acquired pop up for its first shakedown! We are excited, and hope to see Walnut Hills this summer
duncobx is offline   Reply With Quote