Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #11

Ayah, Camden ain't so busy, but that's cause there's not near so much there to see and do as Bar Harbor has. Nice town though!

Bad-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #12

550 miles a day?????? Not counting fuel stops, meals, bathroom breaks that is 9 hours of driving.. (You do know trailer tires (ST) are only rated to 65 mph right?) Slow down enjoy the drive there. that is really what RVing is all about..

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #13

My wife and I camped in Kennebunkport and loved it there. The Red Apple campgrounds was recommended to us by a friend and it was very nice, clean and close to Kennebunkport. We then traveled to Bar Harbour near Cadillac Mountain and camped near by but I can't remember the name of the campgrounds now. It was very nice though but more wooded. Spend several days there and up on the mountain. Both places are good for kids and I think you'd enjoy. We intend on going back to Kennebunkport again soon.
Reese Dual Cam
Canine Travelers - Emmy & Rocky
fayliaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

We stay in Southern Maine all the time. Usually do weekend trips and Bar Harbor is too far from Connecticut.

Old Orchard Beach is an old resort. Old boardwalk, rides, carnival games. Stay at Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA which is very nice, great people and has nice shaded sites. Its is about 1 mile from the beach and the trolly will pick you up at the entrance and take you to the beach for $1. Runs every hour.

Also stay at Ogunquit. The nicest beach in Maine. The place is trendy, but has great restaurants (Ogunquit Lobster Pound Yummmmmy) and little shops. Great for walking around and people watching. There we stay at Wells Beach Campground. Its just north of town. It is kinda pricy, but the cleanest camp ground I've ever stayed at. Its also about a half an hour from Kittery. A HUGE outlet center.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

we just spent 29 nights at the Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3. Closest campground to Acadia and Bar harbor village. Maine has a lot to offer but you will not regret spending your entire vacation on Mount Desert Island. We plan on the next 4 summers there before we get tired of it. If you like the outdoors it is the only place to be. 40 dollars for a yearly pass to Acadia with endless things to do.
The Bar Harbor Campground is the best and cheapest around. period. Beautiful large sites, only 42 a night for full hook up and 7th night free.

My only other choice if you are more into retail shopping is to stay in the Sebago lake region. Close to the outlets in Conway but prices are higher and not as much to do.
As has been said that is a ton of driving in 2 days. take your time and enjoy the ride.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #16

Thanks for your replies. My next thing is deciding which route to take towards Boston. Exit I90 and take I86 to I88 to I90 or stay on I90?
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
we just spent 29 nights at the Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3. Closest campground to Acadia and Bar harbor village. Maine has a lot to offer but you will not regret spending your entire vacation on Mount Desert Island. We plan on the next 4 summers there before we get tired of it. If you like the outdoors it is the only place to be. 40 dollars for a yearly pass to Acadia with endless things to do.
The Bar Harbor Campground is the best and cheapest around. period. Beautiful large sites, only 42 a night for full hook up and 7th night free.

My only other choice if you are more into retail shopping is to stay in the Sebago lake region. Close to the outlets in Conway but prices are higher and not as much to do.
As has been said that is a ton of driving in 2 days. take your time and enjoy the ride.
It is a lot of driving, but I drive a lot for work and I am used to it. I know it will be slower going with the TT, probably 60mph. Just found out we will have another child in April so we are changed our plans and are going to try and make it in three days. 345mi first day, 480mi second day, and 340mi on the last day. We will see how that works out. Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3, I see that is no reservations? Did you have any issues finding a spot? I would hate to drive that far and everything is booked? Thanks
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
It is a lot of driving, but I drive a lot for work and I am used to it. I know it will be slower going with the TT, probably 60mph. Just found out we will have another child in April so we are changed our plans and are going to try and make it in three days. 345mi first day, 480mi second day, and 340mi on the last day. We will see how that works out. Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3, I see that is no reservations? Did you have any issues finding a spot? I would hate to drive that far and everything is booked? Thanks
You will not have any issues getting a site. Worst case scenario is you get a W/E site and move the next day to a W/E/S. I have never had a problem. Plus they do not take Credit cards, cash or check only
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #19

We have been writing some blog posts for Jayco about Maine. Please check them out for pictures and reviews of campgrounds etc... Lots of good info here:

blog.jayco.com
Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #20

I put up a thread about the State Park system.

If you decide on Camden, you should really try to get into Camden Hills State Park. Can't go wrong.

Maine is a very diverse place. There is Southern Maine, which is pretty much North Boston. When you go out west, you got the lakes. We just stayed in Rangely. Unreal. You get above Augusta, and you're in Maine, proper. Head downeast to Bar Harbor, or anywhere on the coast (ie Camden, Searsport Shorres is another great campground).

The thing is, there is a whole entire state north of MDI. You ever get a chance to get up to The County, or even further downeast, you've got Katahdin (Baxter State Park) or Lubec (Washington County). They are rustic, as in, bring something to do, cuz there ain't much, unless you are really into being...outside...

I am happy to say you really can't go wrong in Maine. One of the reasons we are still here.

If you get to the point where you want some insider info, hit me up. Happy to help.

Hope you make it out here, and have a safe trip!

Nolaq is offline   Reply With Quote