Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

2 Week Maine Vacation

I am planning on pulling our travel trailer 1100mi next year out to Maine. We plan on 18 days including travel. Plan is for 2 days out and 2 days back with 14days in Maine. We were looking at the different things to do. We will have two kids, ages 3 and 13. We found some different camp sites. One that looks good is the KOA in Augusta/Gardiner Maine. It seems centrally located. Bar Harbor is 2.5hours away and Portland is 1hr. Any one that has camped out in Maine before have any suggestions. Our other option is two split the trip and do one week at one campground and then move to another are. Thanks.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

I have not camped in Maine but I've been there many times. I always say split it up if there is time, so you can experience new stuff. Secondly, Bar Harbor and Acadia are amazing. Portland is a very nice city if you are looking for something more urban. The one place I haven't been but want to go would be Baxter State Park. I've flown over it and I've heard all about it. Looks gorgeous. One of these years I am going to bring my trailer there as well.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

I would split it between Bar Harbor and another CG. Maybe in Portsmouth.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would split it between Bar Harbor and another CG. Maybe in Portsmouth.
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

I am originally from Cape Cod. Spent a lot of time in Maine. As a kid, a friend of mine would invite me during the summer to join them camping up in the Richardson lake region at a CG called South Arm Campground. Great memories. You will have fun. If you are going to be over on the coast, if you can find a place that does a traditional Clambake on the beach, I HIGHLY recommend it. You'll never forget it.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

Bar harbour

We went on cruise several years back to bar harbour area we went whale watching and acadias cadddilac mountain were very nice to see .good luck, very beautiful area !
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

I agree, I would suggest spending a week in Bar Harbor and a week in another location. I grew up in the Bar Harbor area...there are many fantastic campgrounds in that region. There is a waterfront KOA campground just as you enter Mt Desert Island, where Bar Harbor is located. There's another campground in the same vicinity called The Narrows. Beautiful waterfront sites and an easy drive to Bar Harbor and other points of interest on the island. There is another more central campground (I think called "Mt Desert Campground") and that is located on Somes Sound and very picturesque. If you are open to spending some of the two weeks in New Hampshire, there are many great campgrounds in/around the White Mountains region and places your kids might enjoy - Santa's Village, Storyland (both amusement parks for young children) and Whale's Tale (a water park)
Dugasville Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #8

We visited Maine many times over the last 10+ years (camping/B&B inns). Acadia National Park on Mt Desert Island is a must do. Excellent for biking, hiking and kayaking. Bar Harbor is nice to visit. It is very dog friendly. We have an 85# Golden Retriever and was welcomed into shops and outside restaurants. There is an ice cream store that serves a "yellow dog" sunday which comes with a dog biscuit on top.

On a side note, we just got back from Boothbay Harbor (Shore Hills Campground which was excellent) where we were allowed to bring our dog on a 2 1/2 hour boat ride to see the Puffins.

Back to Mt Desert Island, you can get lobsters from the local lobsterman for an excellent price. We had lobsters most nights. You want to see Cadillac Mountain (especially at sunrise and sunset), Sand Beach (for swimming and there is a nice path to follow along the water starting there) and a drive around the entire island for its beautiful scenery. In my opinion, if you are not going for the biking/hiking a week is plenty of time.

I would also recommend a visit to the beach area of Maine, any where from Portland down to York Harbor. On our trip to Maine two weeks ago, we also stayed at Old Orchard Beach Campground. Nice CG, recently updated and was very clean. The beach is about 2 miles away. We also found a dog friendly beach (Ferry Beach in Saco) not far from the CG where the dog was allowed on all day.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

We stayed at Bunganut lake last August and loved it we hope to be returning next year now that we have a reason to go! From Richmond va we figured 180 in tolls so we stayed off of 95 all together! One thing to keep in mind national and state parks up there have no hook ups so be sure to have solar or generator and definetly a waste tote!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

I just spoke to a guy from Maine for a while. He highly recommended Camden. Not sure if that spelling is correct. He said it's less busy than Bar Harbor and less touristy. It's a coastal town with lots of great hikes and apparently a castle and mountains.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

Ayah, Camden ain't so busy, but that's cause there's not near so much there to see and do as Bar Harbor has. Nice town though!
Bad-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #12

550 miles a day?????? Not counting fuel stops, meals, bathroom breaks that is 9 hours of driving.. (You do know trailer tires (ST) are only rated to 65 mph right?) Slow down enjoy the drive there. that is really what RVing is all about..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #13

My wife and I camped in Kennebunkport and loved it there. The Red Apple campgrounds was recommended to us by a friend and it was very nice, clean and close to Kennebunkport. We then traveled to Bar Harbour near Cadillac Mountain and camped near by but I can't remember the name of the campgrounds now. It was very nice though but more wooded. Spend several days there and up on the mountain. Both places are good for kids and I think you'd enjoy. We intend on going back to Kennebunkport again soon.
Reese Dual Cam
Canine Travelers - Emmy & Rocky
fayliaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #14

We stay in Southern Maine all the time. Usually do weekend trips and Bar Harbor is too far from Connecticut.

Old Orchard Beach is an old resort. Old boardwalk, rides, carnival games. Stay at Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA which is very nice, great people and has nice shaded sites. Its is about 1 mile from the beach and the trolly will pick you up at the entrance and take you to the beach for $1. Runs every hour.

Also stay at Ogunquit. The nicest beach in Maine. The place is trendy, but has great restaurants (Ogunquit Lobster Pound Yummmmmy) and little shops. Great for walking around and people watching. There we stay at Wells Beach Campground. Its just north of town. It is kinda pricy, but the cleanest camp ground I've ever stayed at. Its also about a half an hour from Kittery. A HUGE outlet center.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

we just spent 29 nights at the Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3. Closest campground to Acadia and Bar harbor village. Maine has a lot to offer but you will not regret spending your entire vacation on Mount Desert Island. We plan on the next 4 summers there before we get tired of it. If you like the outdoors it is the only place to be. 40 dollars for a yearly pass to Acadia with endless things to do.
The Bar Harbor Campground is the best and cheapest around. period. Beautiful large sites, only 42 a night for full hook up and 7th night free.

My only other choice if you are more into retail shopping is to stay in the Sebago lake region. Close to the outlets in Conway but prices are higher and not as much to do.
As has been said that is a ton of driving in 2 days. take your time and enjoy the ride.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #16

Thanks for your replies. My next thing is deciding which route to take towards Boston. Exit I90 and take I86 to I88 to I90 or stay on I90?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
we just spent 29 nights at the Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3. Closest campground to Acadia and Bar harbor village. Maine has a lot to offer but you will not regret spending your entire vacation on Mount Desert Island. We plan on the next 4 summers there before we get tired of it. If you like the outdoors it is the only place to be. 40 dollars for a yearly pass to Acadia with endless things to do.
The Bar Harbor Campground is the best and cheapest around. period. Beautiful large sites, only 42 a night for full hook up and 7th night free.

My only other choice if you are more into retail shopping is to stay in the Sebago lake region. Close to the outlets in Conway but prices are higher and not as much to do.
As has been said that is a ton of driving in 2 days. take your time and enjoy the ride.
It is a lot of driving, but I drive a lot for work and I am used to it. I know it will be slower going with the TT, probably 60mph. Just found out we will have another child in April so we are changed our plans and are going to try and make it in three days. 345mi first day, 480mi second day, and 340mi on the last day. We will see how that works out. Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3, I see that is no reservations? Did you have any issues finding a spot? I would hate to drive that far and everything is booked? Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
It is a lot of driving, but I drive a lot for work and I am used to it. I know it will be slower going with the TT, probably 60mph. Just found out we will have another child in April so we are changed our plans and are going to try and make it in three days. 345mi first day, 480mi second day, and 340mi on the last day. We will see how that works out. Bar Harbor Campground on Rte3, I see that is no reservations? Did you have any issues finding a spot? I would hate to drive that far and everything is booked? Thanks
You will not have any issues getting a site. Worst case scenario is you get a W/E site and move the next day to a W/E/S. I have never had a problem. Plus they do not take Credit cards, cash or check only
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #19

We have been writing some blog posts for Jayco about Maine. Please check them out for pictures and reviews of campgrounds etc... Lots of good info here:

blog.jayco.com
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #20

I put up a thread about the State Park system.

If you decide on Camden, you should really try to get into Camden Hills State Park. Can't go wrong.

Maine is a very diverse place. There is Southern Maine, which is pretty much North Boston. When you go out west, you got the lakes. We just stayed in Rangely. Unreal. You get above Augusta, and you're in Maine, proper. Head downeast to Bar Harbor, or anywhere on the coast (ie Camden, Searsport Shorres is another great campground).

The thing is, there is a whole entire state north of MDI. You ever get a chance to get up to The County, or even further downeast, you've got Katahdin (Baxter State Park) or Lubec (Washington County). They are rustic, as in, bring something to do, cuz there ain't much, unless you are really into being...outside...

I am happy to say you really can't go wrong in Maine. One of the reasons we are still here.

If you get to the point where you want some insider info, hit me up. Happy to help.

Hope you make it out here, and have a safe trip!
Nolaq is offline   Reply With Quote