Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

2 week trip - where to go - a little help?

So, my 16yr old daughter's off season of volleyball is FINALLY over... it's drug on and on - enough about that.....

My son's summer started a month ago, but since sister's volleyball has pretty much dominated my schedule, it's time that my 11yr old son gets some summer. He's asked to go camping for 2 weeks - but not just A campground, he wants to travel and visit a few.

We live in eastern CT, and have traveled north into upper N.H. quite a bit due to having a seasonal site up there for 4-1/2 years - but it's time to see and do other things. He seems to really enjoy campgrounds with pools and waterslides, mini-golf, arcades, - let's face it, I think he really likes K.O.A's, lol. Then there's fishing - but I think he does it simply because I really enjoy it.

I've never spent much time in Upstate, NY, but a neighbor just got back from a trip to Herkimer and Watkins Glen - so I was thinking about heading out that direction. It's easy enough to sift through K.O.A's and see what their amenities are, but it's a never ending task to look at all the non-K.O.A campgrounds on the old Google Maps.

So, I'm asking my fellow Jayco Owners Forum Members to speak up about any "must stay" campgrounds or "Must Do" things close to campgrounds they just loved in that area... or even shed light on a similar trip they may have already taken.

Early thinking is spending 2 nights at a campground and then driving 2-4 hours to the next one. I'd prefer to make a loop of it, so that we aren't driving back home along most the same roads we went out on. We're anticipating leaving early next week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team

We will also be traveling through upstate NY all of next week. We are coming from the west starting in the Erie area, traveling to the finger lakes region, and then finally down to Lakeside Campground in Windsor while we visit my in-laws in the Binghamton area.

Though I haven't been there, I've heard great things about the Watkins Glenn KOA. Apparently they are connected to a water park. Your son may like that. Please double check with them directly as I'm not exactly sure of the details there.

JFlightRisk is your guy to talk to. He is from the finger lakes region and will be able to give you a lot more info.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #3

Destination full-time on u-tube did a review of a jelly stone campground in Western New York. It looked like a pretty good time. https://youtu.be/sHOOa3EaiZM
Old 07-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
Site Team

It's been many years since I been to the Watkins Glen KOA, so I imagine it's gotten bigger and better than I remember it. One hint, the hill going down into the village of Watkins Glen is long and steep. Start out slowly near the top so you don't roll into it too fast.

The Farmington KOA has the usual amenities, but some of the sites can be small and close together.

Up close to the shore of Lake Ontario is a Yogi Bear Jellystone Camp Resort in Mexico NY. A ton of things for the kids there too. You'll want to call ahead for site availability, since they're all booking up fast these days.

Farther east in the Lake George area, there are more parks since it's a resort town. Great paddle wheel steam boat tours up the lake.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #5

you will be driving past it but i have heard great things about Moose Hillock campground in lake george ny, has its own waterpark and nice sites

also lots to do in the lake george area you may consider a 3 or 4 day stay
kwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

There's the Diamond Mine KOA in Herkimer that he may enjoy too. Might find the "big one" as well.....
Old 07-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

While I'm thinking about it, there is a really nice animal park north of Binghamton. If you or your kids like giraffes, this is the place to go.

https://theanimaladventurepark.com/Page/home

Just a quick warning, the place is EXTREMELY commercial. Want to enter the park, pay a fee. Want to actually look at the animals, pay a fee. If you want to feed a giraffe, pay a fee. You get the picture.

But, with all of that said, we tend to go back every time we are in the area. My kids just love it there.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

Ok, trip is set and we are headed out tomorrow... Hopefully we have a great time - if nothing else, we'll make the best of whatever comes.

We start off @ Herkimer (NY) KOA, then to Saratoga Escape Lodges and RV resort (NY) (finding a weekend site was a HUGE issue), then to Moose Hillock (that place looks great), then to Lebanon (ME) KOA, and finally to Strafford / Lake Winnipesaukee (NH) KOA.

Thanks to those that spoke up... I have a new appreciation for my wife whom usually spoon feeds me on places she would like to go and I just help finalize when she's got it 90% figured out. I think planning well more in advance would of helped, but it is what it is.

I'm hoping we take a few day trips and see some neat stuff. We'll see how adventurous my son wants to be.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:37 AM   #9

that sounds like a great trip, when you are heading to Herkimer just make sure to watch for low bridges, there are a couple low train bridges right off the exit of I-90, if you are taking the Thruway you want to take the little falls exit and go around them

also when in lake george make sure to go to Martha's for ice cream
kwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote