Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Another request for OBX trip advice

We will be heading to Camp Hatteras in September and having never traveled through Norfolk-Hampton region in an RV I am curious about avoiding the tunnels if possible. DW hates being in the tunnels.

Is there a bridge across the bay that will get me to NC without going through the tunnels?

If not, what is the motor home protocol for the tunnels?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
We will be heading to Camp Hatteras in September and having never traveled through Norfolk-Hampton region in an RV I am curious about avoiding the tunnels if possible. DW hates being in the tunnels.

Is there a bridge across the bay that will get me to NC without going through the tunnels?

If not, what is the motor home protocol for the tunnels?

Thanks in advance.
Just need to turn off propane before you go thru. The view of the bay is worth the ride thru the tunnels.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

We just got back from the KOA down there. Beautiful area. The tunnels are the only way to go if you don’t want to take the scenic route way around. Tunnels are very quick and painless. Only have to pull off at the inspection station to ensure tanks are off.

What area are you coming from?
Enjoy the trip!
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Coming from Cincinnati first time to obx with an rv. I’ve been through that area in cars and pickups multiple times and agree it is beautiful. DW just wishes to not travel the tunnel in our Motorhome.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

You can always take the James River Bridge from Newport News to Suffolk. Shouldn't add too much time. No tunnel to deal with.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Thanks Mike, exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate your help.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #7

Glad to help, Nick. When you get on the bridge,look at the long fishing pier to the right. That thing used to be the bridge across the river. 2 lanes and very narrow.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

We just got back from trip where we spent a night at Oregon Inlet Campground before traveling down to Charleston.
It was my first Walmart camp the night before and first Bay bridge/Tunnels in an RV as well. Just (2) short tunnel runs, not a big deal.
My son and I have tent camped at Hatteras with my 4x4. Great if you have a 4x4 so you can drive out on the beach.

I'm confused though, if you are coming from Cincinnati why would you need to go across bay bridge tunnels?
You would only need the bridge/tunnels if you were coming down from Delaware & Eastern shore of Maryland

Also there are (2) bridges onto outer banks. The northern one into Kitty hawk can back up for many miles with house renters

The southern bridge below Nags Head is hardly used and may be an option if your arriving on a weekend
Old 08-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

Bridges are NOT the issue, DW doesn't want to go through the underwater tunnels. When I come through on I64 or 664 we usually end up at one of the other underwater tunnel.

If I can divert across a bridge without going many miles out of the way she becomes happy, and a happy DW certainly makes for a good day.

Since we are in a motor home we are not in any particular hurry. We will spend the weekend of 9-8&9 in Beckley, WV with her brother and leave Beckley on the 10th. We will likely be a day or two early for our reservation at Camp Hatteras so will have plenty of time to kill between Monday and Wednesday.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Ahh now I see the tunnels in Norfolk using I64
So how about 77 S >> 74>>52 S >> 40 E to US-64 E.
US-64 E will take you to southern bridge just below Nags Head

Oregon Beach campground is about 10 mins south of the bridge and has several sites with electric and water, right on the beach. Only state campground with utilities on outer banks
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

We did the I40 US 64 route 18 years ago from Rock Hill, SC. I threw it out as an option but seemed like it took all day after we got off 40.

We both like the scenery coming through the SE part of VA and NE part of NC so will likely travel that route.

If I recall the campground at Oregon Inlet was a sandy affair and not conducive to a 10 ton motor home.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Nick, if you like seafood, when you get to Hatteras go by Risky Business Seafood Market. They have outstanding shrimp, tuna, mahi and a lot of other fresh off the boat seafood. If you pay cash they give a discount. They'll also vacuum pack anything you want.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

I'll do that, I really need to learn to cook seafood. We usually hit Awful Arther's at least once while at OBX.