Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Thumbs up Anyone have input regarding Silver Lake (MICH) SP?

Greetings JOF folks. I have a trip reserved for late June at the Silver Lake SP in western Michigan. I have heard through the grapevine that it is peaceful, beautiful and relaxing, yet the reviews I read regarding the place state it is noisy and very busy. Anyone spend time there? From the looks of things on the internet, the park is split into a North and South CG with a busy road running between the two, and our site backs up to that road. Any input would be appreciated; we haven't had a bad experience with a Michigan SP yet, so I would like to think that this trip will not disappoint. However................ We have enough time between now and then to change plans if that is necessary. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #2

I just knew this was going to be about SILVER LAKE in Ms which is not really a LAKE at all... Silver Lake in Washington County, Mississippi, USA. Latitude: 33.14528 : Longitude: -91.00667... I had my input for LEROY PERCY Park ready to submit hehe...

Wrong STATE....
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

I have heard it can be quite noisy at night, when people come in off the dunes in there vehicles reving engines, and if you have children kind of a money pit with all the attractions such as dune buggys, go carts, etc. We considered going there this summer as well. We live in Michigan. Ludington SP, the SP in marquette, and the one just south of ludington are all on lake Michigan and are beautiful and peaceful. As well as if you are interested in the east side of Michigan our 2 favorite parks are Harrisville SP which is right on Lake huron is beautiful. And Port Crescent which is at the tip of the thumb and because of the saginaw bay, you get the beautiful west side type beaches, all sand no rocks, dunes great trails, our fav park by far. Great sunsets and an a occassional sunrise. We are going to both Harrisville and Port Crescent this year. Hope this info helps regarding Silver Lake, my neighbor has been several times with her boys, so thats where I received the money pit info, and our other friends told us about the noise.
ambryant100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

We decided to leave Ludington SP on the spur of the moment and try another CG. We didn't like the site (next to lighthouse trail) we had for last 2 day stay. Our "neighbors" were locals and suggested that we not stay at Silver Lake because of comments similar to ambryant100's. They suggested we try Charles Mears SP instead. We were able to get a last minute opening and LOVED it, even though sites were packed closely. The beach was within walking distance and was absolutely beautiful. If I didn't know better, I would think I was on a beach overlooking the ocean. Lake Michigan was never-ending. Our neighbor at Mears live in MI and they made same comments about Silver Lake. They come every year to Mears. If you have little ones, they would love the sandy sites. My daughter was in heaven made of sand!