Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Arizona 64 along south Rim of the Grand Canyon

I am going to be at the Grand Canyon later this year and the kids want to go by the Four Corners Monument on the way home. I want to take Arizona 64 out of Grand Canyon Village and head east to Cameron. Then up Hwy 89 and 160. It has been about 14 years since I drove the Arizona 64 stretch from Cameron to the Village. At the time I was not driving so I was staring out the window in amazement at the giant hole in the ground and not paying attention to the road.

Does anybody know how the road is for someone that is a little over 63' in length? Pretty sure I don't recall any low clearance worries on that stretch but I could be wrong.

Thanks

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

I used to live in the area and don't remember any low clearances. The road should be ok. There is a new bridge across the Little Colorado at Cameron, with some new road up to 160. You can head to Monument Valley, north of Kayenta on 163. Take it in at sunrise. And there is a hotel in the Valley that was blown up in a Bond movie.

And be aware, the 4 corner marker is off by a few dozen feet.

Great trip, enjoy
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
I used to live in the area and don't remember any low clearances. The road should be ok. There is a new bridge across the Little Colorado at Cameron, with some new road up to 160. You can head to Monument Valley, north of Kayenta on 163. Take it in at sunrise. And there is a hotel in the Valley that was blown up in a Bond movie.

And be aware, the 4 corner marker is off by a few dozen feet.

Great trip, enjoy
Thanks for the Info!!!

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #4

If you want to see what the hotel and what is supposed to be the biggest explosion in a 007 movie, watch Quantum of Solace. The View Hotel is the site the movie was made.

There is a campground at the site: Campground | Monument Valley View

Also, just south of Kayenta, you will be very close to Navajo National Monument:

https://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm

I don't remember if they have campgrounds at the site but there are RV sites around Kayenta and at Monument Valley. This is a paleo Indian site which you can hike to with a reserved permit.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #5

We stopped by the Four Corners last year on our way from AZ up to ID. I was not impressed. In fact, I didn't even get to see it. Once we got to the admission gate we were notified they take CASH only. No warning beforehand. It's $5.00 each person. I only had $10 on me so I was able to pay for my 2 daughters to go in but was not allowed to drive them up to the monument. They had to walk from the gate, about 1/4 mile each way, in the early part of July. It was well over 90 degrees. I will not go there again nor recommend it to anyone I know. If you do go, make sure you have cash on you as it's out in the middle of nowhere and I don't recall seeing any ATM within a reasonable distance.
n3wpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Here is information I found is a quick online search.

The site is privately owned and operated by the Navajo Nation.

Where: Just off of U.S. Highway 160, about 6 miles north of Teec Nos Pos, Arizona.

When:
May 1 – Sept 30: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
October 1 – April 30: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day

How Much: $5 per person over the age of 6. Ages 6 and younger are free. Cash only.

How Long: 15 minutes to 1 hour.

Amenities: Primitive toilets and picnic tables. Fry bread and souvenirs*may be available from vendors.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wpv View Post
We stopped by the Four Corners last year on our way from AZ up to ID. I was not impressed. In fact, I didn't even get to see it. Once we got to the admission gate we were notified they take CASH only. No warning beforehand. It's $5.00 each person. I only had $10 on me so I was able to pay for my 2 daughters to go in but was not allowed to drive them up to the monument. They had to walk from the gate, about 1/4 mile each way, in the early part of July. It was well over 90 degrees. I will not go there again nor recommend it to anyone I know. If you do go, make sure you have cash on you as it's out in the middle of nowhere and I don't recall seeing any ATM within a reasonable distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Here is information I found is a quick online search.

The site is privately owned and operated by the Navajo Nation.

Where: Just off of U.S. Highway 160, about 6 miles north of Teec Nos Pos, Arizona.

When:
May 1 – Sept 30: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
October 1 – April 30: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day

How Much: $5 per person over the age of 6. Ages 6 and younger are free. Cash only.

How Long: 15 minutes to 1 hour.

Amenities: Primitive toilets and picnic tables. Fry bread and souvenirs*may be available from vendors.

Good to know about the cash. Will have to make sure I have some stashed in the truck. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Know the marker is several miles off from being the actual 4 corners. That being said, it's nothing but a tourist trap and money maker for the local tribes. We have been there before there was a charge and since, it's nothing special at all. Go if you to take a picture of the marker, but understand many times in the summer you will be greeted with long lines to actually stand in the marker. Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wpv View Post
I missed it last year when traveling out that way. I passed it by & than realized I didn't have enough room to make a U turn (30 TT & truck =50 ft) so I said F it. I just wanted a picture of my dog with one paw in each state otherwise a useless place to stop. Headed into Page Az from there, Now that is a nice place, especially Wahweep.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

No, it is only off by 0.34 miles... it is east of where it should be. The original media report was wrong because the guy made his own error when he was trying to find an error.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #11

Every place you go on vacation can be called a "tourist trap" if you're going to have that attitude. It is still a worthy stop... get the photos on the monument... things were calculated different long ago... by using a different "zero" point... so, at the time, when measuring from within the United States (from the White House or DC or something), it was correct.

As far as cash only... so what? A person who travels cross country without any cash isn't very smart... how many times have communications been down, computers out, etc. where no one could take a credit card? no, not many, but it's happened several times to us over the years.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote