Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 01:56 AM   #1

Assateague Island

Has anyone been camping here? We are going the weekend of June 8 and staying at the state park right on the beach. My wife really wants to go to see the wild horses. I'm just happy to be beach bum for a few days! Anyways, figured I'd ask a few of the experienced campers out there for any tips or ideas.
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #2

I want to plan a trip there - my daughter (5yo) is a horse lover... I've heard it is hard to find a site when they do the swim (waiting lists for years), but other times aren't as hard. I've seen pics people have posted (not on here) where the ponies come right up to the campers. Are you getting a site with electric?

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
Site Team

We have camped at Assateague state park, which is on the Maryland side, in H loop the only electric loop in the park. Our site was right by the dune, beach just a few steps away. You can book up to a year in advance at 8AM in the morning and that loop stays pretty much booked. The other loops are more accessible to booking as they are not electric. Plenty of firewood vendors nearby. Ocean City and its attractions are nearby. Horses were there but a non issue for us. Eat crabs when there and support the local crabman economy. The Assateague National seashore park is also there but no electric sites.

The pony swim in July is on Chincoteague Island in Va. There are several campgrounds on the island but all are private. The wildlife refuge is on there on the Virginia side of Assateague island, you just cross a bridge from Chincoteague to get there. Nice visitors center, beaches, variuos widlife and horses there as well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #4

We have been going yearly since about 2010. Bring lots of DEET and Thermacells. Secure your coolers in your vehicles. Do not leave food unattended. Do not get within 10 feet of the horses.

If the weather has been dry for the preceding two weeks before arrival, skeeters should not be too bad. Otherwise, be mindful that skeeters can be a problem in bayside breezes, overcast skies and nighttime; so, spray yourself with DEET and/or carry a Thermacell.

Make sure the screen door is closed promptly. Bring tiki torches and citronella candles. Smoke from campfires ward off the skeeters, too.

That said, by being prepared, we have enjoyed our visits.

We stayed once at the state park and the rest at the national park. I hear that the comfort stations have been renovated at the state park. At the NP, there are crabbing, clamming and paddling programs run by the rangers; so, take a look at the schedule.

En route to Chincoteague is a NASA visitors center at Wallops Island. Check the event schedule.

We are going during the first week in August.

Have fun!
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

We hit the National Park beach while we camped at Castaways, right down the road. The ponies were pretty cool; they are not hard to find. A band of them ransacked our beach area looking for food. They just go from group to group looking for stuff to get into. I have a great picture of one of them w/ my daughter's sun hat in its mouth.

Word to the wise; keep your stuff in a cooler and packed in such a way that you can take your edibles and split when they come foraging for food. Keep your head on a swivel; its easy to get carried away staring at the water, or your kids, or whatever and not notice they showed up and are helping themselves.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

We are staying on the I loop at the state park, no electric like crabman said which is a bummer but it was about the only site available, plus we are bringing our dog's so the I loop is pet friendly. We are pretty excited to see the ponies out there, actually we own a few horses (the wife used to barrel race) so she and our daughter are extra excited to see the wild ponies.

Thanks for the info sebring96hbg. We will have the thermacell's running nonstop. Although if we are in an area with mosquito's without fail, they will attack my wife and mostly leave me alone. No clue why, but I'm kinda happy with that arrangement!

We will most definitely be supporting the local crabmen, I can't wait. Like you Gone campin, we want to watch the horses swim, but those are apparently booked years out, so June it is. Thanks for the quick replies, I'm going to search the national park schedule for some ideas. We last lived near Destin, FL so it will be nice to back on the beach again.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Assateague state park is a great place to camp. I used to go tent camping there a few years back. If you stay between the campsites and the beach then the mosquitoes aren't bad. they can get bad on the walking trails on the bay side of the island. the wild ponies and deer will raid any food you leave out, but they never messed with our tents or vehicles. we used to go to a camp store on 611 just a few miles north of the bridge to assateague (you would pass it if you were headed to ocean city) their prices are a lot better than the camp store on the island and they have a lot of camping essentials, souvenirs and some groceries. enjoy your trip and don't forget a dust pan and brush for the sand that will inevitably find its way into your trailer.
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcav8er View Post
Assateague state park is a great place to camp. I used to go tent camping there a few years back. If you stay between the campsites and the beach then the mosquitoes aren't bad. they can get bad on the walking trails on the bay side of the island. the wild ponies and deer will raid any food you leave out, but they never messed with our tents or vehicles. we used to go to a camp store on 611 just a few miles north of the bridge to assateague (you would pass it if you were headed to ocean city) their prices are a lot better than the camp store on the island and they have a lot of camping essentials, souvenirs and some groceries. enjoy your trip and don't forget a dust pan and brush for the sand that will inevitably find its way into your trailer.

Thanks will check out the camping store. I also plan on bringing lots of mosquito repellant!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Assateague State Park is one of our favorite destinations! You just have to learn to camp without hook-ups. I have a 40 gallon "bladder" that I can haul water to the trailer with, we try to shower at the loop's bathhouse, and we can usually get the black-tank to go a full week without having to dump.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Assateague State Park is one of our favorite destinations! You just have to learn to camp without hook-ups. I have a 40 gallon "bladder" that I can haul water to the trailer with, we try to shower at the loop's bathhouse, and we can usually get the black-tank to go a full week without having to dump.
I could manage OK without electric, but the DW has to have her AC when its anywhere close to hot. And if mama aint happy.....
Old 03-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Lots to do and the water could be warm enough to take a dip. We used to go years ago then had a hiatus but started coming back 2 years ago. Area around the island has grown so be prepared for more traffic & Tourists. We have been using the National park but either one is fine. Gas up on Rt. 50 between rt.113 & rt. 611, more competition (including a Wawa) up there, so lower prices.
As Crabman said, support your local Crabbers and fishermen. Couple of fresh seafood markets between the island and OC area, just past the OC Airport. If you make a right on Sunset ave off rt. 611, you will be in the Harbor area. Went to Martin's Fish market last year right in the harbor where the Fishing boats dock. We walked out with local live Crabs, live clams, various fresh caught fish, scallops, etc. and it cost us around $30.00. Made multiple great meals. There are 3 or 4 Seafood restaurants there also.
And if you are into craft brews, try the Burley Oak in Berlin right off rt 113. Only about 13 miles from the island. Great selection of beers. Ask about their "Secret Sauce".

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

Thanks RSerendipity, great write up. And I am most certainly into craft brews. Martin's sounds great, I'm getting hungry already haha.

Is there a good place to fill up the fresh water tank on the way in the park? I'm coming from Pittsburgh and have no desire to haul 40+ gallons the whole way.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #13

We like going to Crabs To Go in Berlin for our crab fix to take back to the site.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

sebring96hbg, thanks for the tip, will certainly put on our list for our next trip. Wow, Crabs & Brews in one location for a quick off-island trip. Sounds like the beginning of a great night!
fragmag, Both campgrounds have multiple faucets before your site, so you can fill up then. Water pressure is normally good so it will be a fast fill-up

As for the Ponies, you never know what to expect. Last year's trip we were on the Beach @ the beginning of the OSV in the National Park & watched a Pony stand still for over an hour staring into the sea. He was about 75 yards away from us and 10 yards from the water. We thought he was a Statue, only his tail moved occasionally. Then the last night, 3 Ponies came to our campfire while we were sitting there. They stood next to the fire, downwind in the smoke, for about 10-12 minutes. then they moved on.

Enjoy your trip.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post

[SNIP]

Then the last night, 3 Ponies came to our campfire while we were sitting there. They stood next to the fire, downwind in the smoke, for about 10-12 minutes. then they moved on.

Enjoy your trip.

Two years ago, we camped in oceanside loop 1, we walked past site #9 by the boardwalk and saw a group of people hanging out by the campfire. An hour later, the same people were in the road looking at about a half dozen horses laying down around their campfire. It seems they like s'mores too!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Is there a good place to fill up the fresh water tank on the way in the park? I'm coming from Pittsburgh and have no desire to haul 40+ gallons the whole way.
There is a fresh water fill in the main parking lot, by the office. You can refill water jugs (or run a hose to a water bladder) at any of the bathhouses, or on the opposite side of the dump station loop.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
There is a fresh water fill in the main parking lot, by the office. You can refill water jugs (or run a hose to a water bladder) at any of the bathhouses, or on the opposite side of the dump station loop.

Awesome thanks!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #18

Just got back from Assategue and we really had a great time. The weather was perfect the whole trip. Lot's of horses roaming around and not a ton of other campers. Probably due to the fact we camped during the week instead of the weekend. Couple of pics I snapped.

Only had a few complaints about the park, 1: there are not very many electric hook ups! Wasn't a big deal since we bought a honda generator. But, 2: only 1 dump station for 350 camp sites? You should have seen the line to use it! Yeah, anyways, we left and dumped at a site close to home. Other than that than, this place is great. 20 minutes from ocean city. Had some awesome crabs from some local restaurants, and the night sky view was amazing. Highly recommend it!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #19

Is H Loop the only loop with electric? I don't think we will have any water issues since we can carry 88 Gallons of water in the FW tank. When is the best time to go?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Is H Loop the only loop with electric? I don't think we will have any water issues since we can carry 88 Gallons of water in the FW tank. When is the best time to go?
Yes H loop is the only electric loop. It is very hard to book a site in that loop even a year in advance.