Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #21

heck if you do the math... you can get 2 - 2x4x8's cut them into 2 foot pieces and get them for around $2.39 a board so almost the same cost wise, but you may end up with more wood....and you can protest!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #22

I'm the same way, I cut/split my own wood for the house but can't take it with me. I have a cord dry and ready now, mostly oak. Have some ash dropped in the woods will be getting to that in a couple weeks.
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #23
Site Team

Florida state parks do not allow picking up or burning deadwood. There may be some others but Fl. is the only one we have camped that would not let it be used.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Almost the same price as gold for what you get. 5 to 7 bucks for a few small sticks of wood in a bundle. One of my pet peeves, if you won't let me bring in firewood at least give me an affordable alternative. A good fire on a cold Fall night when it gets dark at 430 would cost more then the campsite did lol.
Please also make it dry. In California, we camp at the State Park Beaches. The wood you buy from the campground won't ever burn. Even if you buy it at the grocery store, it is wet.
mafuma,52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #25

Flame Genie

i picked up a Flame Genie for about $50 and use it on camping trips. The Flame Genie uses wood pellets that I buy at Menard's for less than $5 for 40#'s. The 40#s will last us a weekend with some left over. It's generally smokeless unless I mess up and pour in too many pellets but this is what works for us. I always know I will have "firewood" when I get somewhere.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #26

I used to bring a couple fires worth from home. Now we have a nice propane fired fireplace and we get instant fire and no smoky clothes! Usually enough “real” fires nearby to give us the ambiance we all like.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #27

We have a stair builder close by our house. All their stairs are built out of hardwoods, like Maple, Cherry, oak etc. They sell a 50 gallon barrel of scrap cutoffs for $5 (Canadian) so like $4US and the over fill the barrel as well. It's amazing. All kiln dried so I can take it over the USA/Canada border without issue (I declare it) when I camp in the USA. It doesn't spark like 2x4s either.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #28

I don't like to pay for overpriced wood when I camp either. I also don't like that I had to cut down 8 very large ash trees because of the borer. We have a gas firepit that we use but if I want a real fire I'll either take kiln dried scraps or pay the piper.

Doesn't matter how close to the campground you are as they don't know where the wood came from when you show up. We stayed at a CoE CG in the winter though and they said pick up as much as you want that's on the ground.... please and thank you!
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
Site Team

Exactly, in Ga. SP's they encourage you to pick up deadfall wood and burn it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #30

In Indiana State parks they discourage you from picking up dead wood. There are signs that state that "it rebuilds the natural Humus in the soil". Many people do it anyway.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #31

Quote:
. A good fire on a cold Fall night when it gets dark at 430 would cost more then the campsite did lol.
Not to mention the $5 on fire starter you had to use to get the green wood to even start burning.
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #32

Support local wood yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLETROUBLE View Post
Just a quick question about firewood cost at the various camp grounds. We have a short trip planned next weekend but we live in northwest Ohio and are going to southeast Michigan and it is illegal to transport firewood. The site is only 30 minutes from our house but I don't want to risk the fines and such and ruin the weekend.
Can some of you give me an idea of the average cost of firewood at campgrounds and how much do you get for the money paid. Thanks.

For our part we buy our firewood from local rockyard or firewood dealers close to where we are going to be. You can generally get more firewood for your money and it is legal. Check with the specific campground to see what there specific rules would be. https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/michigan/ Check out this site.
Jeepxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafuma,52 View Post
Please also make it dry. In California, we camp at the State Park Beaches. The wood you buy from the campground won't ever burn. Even if you buy it at the grocery store, it is wet.
Well at least here what you buy is dry and burns well, there's just not much of it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I don't like to pay for overpriced wood when I camp either. I also don't like that I had to cut down 8 very large ash trees because of the borer. We have a gas firepit that we use but if I want a real fire I'll either take kiln dried scraps or pay the piper.

Doesn't matter how close to the campground you are as they don't know where the wood came from when you show up. We stayed at a CoE CG in the winter though and they said pick up as much as you want that's on the ground.... please and thank you!
I get the not transporting firewood to curb the spread of insects thing, but I have to wonder if logging trucks traveling the same roads and woods loaded with trees just defeats the purpose of it all. Lots of logging done here.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #35

Quote:
I get the not transporting firewood to curb the spread of insects thing, but I have to wonder if logging trucks traveling the same roads and woods loaded with trees just defeats the purpose of it all. Lots of logging done here.
I've often wondered about the logging trucks around here as well. The Emerald Ash Borer has been here for a number of years now and has devastated our Ash trees and has seemed to have moved on but I guess there's other dangerous tree insects as well. Or it's a scam for the parks to get more $ out of us.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I've often wondered about the logging trucks around here as well. The Emerald Ash Borer has been here for a number of years now and has devastated our Ash trees and has seemed to have moved on but I guess there's other dangerous tree insects as well. Or it's a scam for the parks to get more $ out of us.
I've never hauled logs, but I have hauled a number of loads of chip in to the Tyrone PA paper mill. It was nothing for us to go pick up a chip trailer from 400-500 miles away. I don't know how that compares to hauling logs in or transporting firewood, but I guarantee you that those trailers were not insect free.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #37

$3-5 here
Acadia at Seawall gave firewood away. Free
Invasive pests are serious
The Emerald Ash Borer is a real threat to Native Americans basketmakibg

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #38

Quote:
I don't know how they figure all that out. I would think that there would be some control on how far timber could be hauled before it was outside an infested area. When you show up at a campground with split wood it could have come from anywhere so the simplest control method is to just say no.

Once an area becomes infected with an outside species it's done. We also have Asian long-horned beetles. The Gt Lakes have zebra mussels from Russia, US rivers have the Asian carp that likes to jump. If I don't have kiln dried wood to burn when camping then I'll just suck it up and pay if I want a wood fire. It's better than looking at acres of dead trees in the future.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #39

I take my own as I cut and split it as well. It's all Locust, Oak and Cherry with some pine to make it crackle more.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #40

We typically bring our own. We have found locals near by the parks willing to take $15 for a good size wheel barrel full.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote