Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

AZ--->TN in December on I-40?

Our first trip to TN was last August and for the most part went really well considering it was our first ever trip with towing and our "new" fifth wheel. This time it will be in December and we are looking for feedback, experiences and maybe some parks along the way to look at. We stayed in Little Rock, AR "Scott" at the Willow Beach Campground and liked it and found Montgomery Bell State Park in TN that is within 30 minutes of our conference in Vanleer, TN online as well rated and looks nice.

Another consideration is to take I-10>I-20 up. We got stuck on the 10 a few years ago during an ice storm.

Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Parks need to be kid friendly as we have 4 kiddos.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:42 AM   #2

Be prepared for horrible weather in NM, and Oklahoma..Also I 40 east of Flagstaff closes fairly often due to high winds and snow... Myself I hate driving I 40 in summer, let alone in December. Watch your weather forecasts along your route and don't try to push it, be safe. Make sure your propane tanks are full in case you get stuck for a few days somewhere, also keep your gas tank full on your TV. Think about it, you got stuck on I 10 which is much further south,,, be safe. Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply...any experience on the 40 past NM?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsSmith View Post
Thanks for the reply...any experience on the 40 past NM?
I-40 from OKC to AR is a a rough road.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #5

In Dec I doubt you will find much that is not family friendly in or about Tn CG's. I've gone fishing on Dale Hollow Lake at 65 degrees or higher many times in Nov and Dec. On the other hand weather can get quite nasty in those months. For the most part, winters are pretty mild in Tn.

As for i40, pretty much any interstate during winter can have issues with bad weather. I would travel with extra time to get to your conference and keep an eye on the weather along your route.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #6

I-10, I-20 to Dallas then I-30 to Tennessee. NM & Tx Panhandle can get bad quick on I-40.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
I-40 from OKC to AR is a a rough road.
X2 one of the worse we've ever driven.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

In August, I made two trips on I-40 from Arizona to Knoxville. Went to Knoxville to pick up my, new to me, TT. Oklahoma still hasn't figured out how to make the road surface level with the bridge surfaces. Coming back towing the trailer, even though I carried about 40 gallons of water for weight, I thought for sure the trailer would launch into space on some of those bridge transitions. BTW, Oklahoma is uphill almost all the way heading West. I was curious why my MPG's were down! Also, if you have to go through Nashville, please take the By-Pass (I-840). Nashville I-40 roads were horrible! The rest of I-40 is quite doable...although Arizona in the winter can get windy and snowy...even gets closed due to no visibility. Just remember, bridges freeze before roadway and take it easy.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

Completely agree...the whole I-40 was tore up from OKC to TN last August on every bridge! Maybe enough complaints got their attention.

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. Right now we are leaning towards the southern route, 10>20>30 with extra travel time for inclinent weather.

Tags
oklahoma, tennessee, texas