Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper, Alberta

Since it appears we'll be locked in our country again this year, we're planning a trip from Ontario to Alberta this summer.

We are hoping to make reservations in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

I'm looking for recommendations on campgrounds as well as things to see. The internet makes everything sound amazing, but what are your favourites?

Also, anyone who has travelled Ontario to Alberta, where did you stop along the way?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Since it appears we'll be locked in our country again this year, we're planning a trip from Ontario to Alberta this summer.

We are hoping to make reservations in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

I'm looking for recommendations on campgrounds as well as things to see. The internet makes everything sound amazing, but what are your favourites?

Also, anyone who has travelled Ontario to Alberta, where did you stop along the way?
I made that trip only I started in the US, crossing over in N.Dakota, but unfortunately it was in 2004 and I don't remember where all we stopped. You need to plan your trip so you can take in the Calgary Stampede while you're there. I do remember where we stayed for that and it was South in Okotoks at Riverbend. We did a day trip from there to see Lake Louise and Banff since we spent 2 days at the Stampede
Old 03-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I made that trip only I started in the US, crossing over in N.Dakota, but unfortunately it was in 2004 and I don't remember where all we stopped. You need to plan your trip so you can take in the Calgary Stampede while you're there. I do remember where we stayed for that and it was South in Okotoks at Riverbend. We did a day trip from there to see Lake Louise and Banff since we spent 2 days at the Stampede
We're going to miss the Stampede by 1 week unfortunately!! But, God willing I will be there again in the future!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #4

We went through ON from
Maine to Alaska
Have camped in Banff and Jasper
Tunnel Mt ok in Banff
Snye Overfliw in Jasper was what we had to take: all others fill way ahead
But it was a wonderful open area with mountain views
We liked Serpent River in ON and the municipal campground in Dauphin MB was gorgeous
Banff and Jasper have some tight campsites so be aware of the details. We were going to try and get aomething at Maligne lake but the road was horrid and the sites hard to access mostly on hills
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
RPR

Book now, couple articles saying campgrounds in Alberta expecting huge influx of campers that normally cross the border headed South.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #6

National park reservations are delayed from January to April this year. This link should help https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/Home.aspx

Each park has a different reservation start date. Popular dates and the preferred sites will disappear very quickly so be ready to book the second it opens

Whistlers campsite is Jasper (almost 800 sites) closed in 2019 for a one year complete renovation, didn’t open in 2020 and still pending for 2021 but should be announced soon. Unfortunately the pine beetle is everywhere therefore most of the trees were cut down because they were dead or dying and it want safe to leave them so the park will look very different from the past
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #7

There are no private campgrounds in the national parks. Note, if staying in Lake Louise and have a soft sided trailer make sure you pick the right campground.

The national park campground booking was delayed from January to April this year. Try this link for booking dates and reservations
https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/Home.aspx

Popular dates and preferred sites (e.g. full hookups) book immediately so be ready when the reservations open for the campground you want

Whistlers in Jasper is the only full hookup campground. It closed in 2019 for a one year renovation including upgrading some sites to 50A. Still under construction in 2020 and waiting for the official announcement that it will be open in 2021 (update is supposed to be this month). At almost 800 sites it is by far the largest campground.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

We were there some time ago and stopped on the way at Glacier park and took a trip onto the glaciers. We also made a day trip (alllllll dayyy) to see the trains go through all the mountain tunnels. Took a tour of the big original hotel and lots of wonderful hikes nearby. Don't forget that you will be in the mountains and rain-wear and jackets should be in your car or backpack all the time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #9

We stayed at Snaring overdlow not Snye
Private full hookup campgrounds are virtually no. existing till outside the park
Example KOA in Jasper Hinton is almost an hour east of Jasper

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all the tips thus far!

We are keeping an eye on the dates and plan to book on the first day when reservations open up.

Fingers crossed.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #11

I was there in '85 starting in Mn to Winnipeg, Regina, and finally onto Calgary. Stayed in motels back then unfortunately, so didn't get to experience the camping. You are in for a fantastic trip. Should be on every bucket list.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #12

we did a travel in 2014 from quebec , crossing Ontario ,Manitoba,saskatchewan,and Albert, in Alberta we first sop brooks dinosaure park campground, for few days, and made guided tour in trail where dinosaure bones are found, and also visit the drumeller dinosaure museum. very nice and unique . also in Banff and jasper we stay longer to have plenty time to visite every things , cave and bassin, for the history, lake louise, the glacier on Columbia ice field, and some more places in jasper, like the hot spring, and canyon maligne. we have a travel blog, with photos and short desc. at www.enroutes.com/pc35.

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #13

Overall I find Banff far busier than Jasper. I also see more wild animals in Jasper. Lots of hiking trails however since I am not a hiker I can’t provide any advice

Banff:
- sky tram to the top of a mountain
- Hot springs in town
- Banff Springs hotel golf course usually has elk
- Nearby is Lake Louise (60km/36mi west), very nice walk around the lake. Also almost impossible to find a parking place, suggest looking at the shuttle from Banff
- Johnston Canyon (25km/15mi west)
- As mentioned the Spiral Tunnels used by trains to descend in a short distance (almost at Field BC, 80km/50mi west)

Banff to Jasper
I don’t recall any gas stations on this route so make sure you have a full fuel load
- Columbia Icefield. Tours can be booked to go onto the glacier and bus to the nearby glass skywalk. Recommend reservations
- Athabasca Falls is right beside the highway

Jasper
- Common to see elk walking in town
- sky tram to the top of a mountain
- Maligne Canyon has multiple spots to view the canyon, I usually go the main parking area a short drive up the road. You can also drive to the lake. Boat tours are offered on the lake
- Pyramid Lake
- Miette hot springs (60km/36mi east)
- Mount Robson, tallest peak in the Canadian Rockies (90km/55mi west)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #14

In July of 2018, my wife and I joined a Fantasy RV Tour through the Canadian Rockies. The RV sites were:
We met at Banff Tunnel Mountain (Village II) and stayed for 4 days; then to Hinton Jasper KOA for 3 days. We then traveled to Irvin's RV Park in Valmont for 2 days. Day 9 we traveled to Cache Creek, BC., and stayed at Hat Creek Ranch for 2 days. On day 11, we continued on to Sunshine Valley Resorts where we stayed for 2 days and finally ending at Burnaby Cariboo RV Park near Vancouver for 4 Days. Whew, that was a fantastic whirlwind trip.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

We did a trip from Ontario to Alberta in 2017, staying at Provincial/National Parks. We had time, so many of the parks we stayed two nights there so we could drive one day and then explore the area/relax the next day. Here are the parks we stayed at. Hoping covid is on the way out and travel restrictions are lifted this summer.

Pancake Bay PP ON
Sleeping Giant PP ON
Aaron PP ON
Birds Hill PP MB
Crooked Lake PP SK (very remote)
Douglas PP SK
The Battlefords PP SK
Wabamun Lake PP AB
Whistler Campground Jasper NP AB
Lake Louise Campground Banff NP AB
Old 04-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #16
RPR