Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Bar harbor

Im considering a short trip to Bar Harbor KOA. Ive never been to Maine before does anyone have any insight as to what there is to do up there. If I bring my paddle boards will I be able to use them there? Should I bring fishing gear? Im not bringing our toad so i we will be hanging out mostly at the campground unless we are able to get an uber. Any info would be great thanks.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #2

I would check with the Chamber of Commerce and the Campground especially with the Covid craziness. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

I had to do a major itinerary change this summer that why im looking north. Im coming from one of the few states that they are allowing without quarantine.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #4

Well, I used to fly people up there to Ba Haba many times. I hear Acadia National Park is worth seeing.
Expect to see 11 - 12 foot tide changes there. Lottsa Puffins too.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

We stayed there 2 years ago and no need for a toad. Unless things have changed there is a free bus that stops at the office and goes down town. I think Eddie Bauer or some other outfitter pays the fee. We had a real good lobster dinner our first night cooked on site. If I remember correctly there were people fishing from camp but I don’t recall seeing any paddle boards. There is the shuttle downtown where you can shop or pick up tours of The area and Acadia Nat Park. We had a great time and the management was accommodating when our first site showed we needed to raise the front tires 10”.

We got tired of lobster the second day btw.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the great info. That tide change is crazy. Low tide is probably a great time to hit the beach area and explore.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:11 AM   #7

You want to see a crazy tide change, go further north to the town of Alma, New Brunswick (when COVID is gone), highest tides on the planet (Bay of Fundy).
But to your inquiry, we are on our way back from northern New Hampshire, perhaps the most COVID free zone in the states. Spent a week in the White Mountains (Twin Mountains KOA). Hiking, biking, visited the top of Mt Washington, Conway, Kangamanus Highway, Cog Railway, etc.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Last time we were there was at Mt Desert KOA. We kayaked from the Cg on the back bay which is at the CG. Shuttles to town and we spent a lot of time exploring Acadia.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #9

At the Bar Harbor OceanSide KOA campground I don't recall the big tide changes but in town you can walk across a sand bar to Bar Island at low tide. Looked and they still offer the free island shuttle. It is sponsored by LL Bean not Eddie Bauer like I posted earlier.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Last time we were there was at Mt Desert KOA. We kayaked from the Cg on the back bay which is at the CG. Shuttles to town and we spent a lot of time exploring Acadia.
I thought when we stayed there we had 2 KOA's to choose from but not anymore. Mt. Desert is not listed as a KOA anymore but it still looks like they are still open.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
We stayed there 2 years ago and no need for a toad. Unless things have changed there is a free bus that stops at the office and goes down town. I think Eddie Bauer or some other outfitter pays the fee. We had a real good lobster dinner our first night cooked on site. If I remember correctly there were people fishing from camp but I don’t recall seeing any paddle boards. There is the shuttle downtown where you can shop or pick up tours of The area and Acadia Nat Park. We had a great time and the management was accommodating when our first site showed we needed to raise the front tires 10”.

We got tired of lobster the second day btw.
NEVER get tired of lobstah!!!

FYI, I did some digging last night and discovered that the free shuttle buses are NOT running this season, until further notice. Bummer. See this link: https://exploreacadia.com/

We still have Maine on our agenda for September (postponed from June), and even that is starting to look questionable at this point.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
NEVER get tired of lobstah!!!

FYI, I did some digging last night and discovered that the free shuttle buses are NOT running this season, until further notice. Bummer. See this link: https://exploreacadia.com/

We still have Maine on our agenda for September (postponed from June), and even that is starting to look questionable at this point.

Roger
Bummer about the shuttle. It is the reason we didn't drag the toad from Georgia. Tolls were expensive enough without the 2 extra axles.
After thinking about it, was after the second day we both opted for something other than lobster. We ate lunch and dinner in town all trip but the lobster we had was at the campground the first night was the best.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #13

Just got back. Had a great time exploring Acadia, the tidal pools at the campground, and lots of Lobster. The Restaurant at the campground had great Lobster also. FYI the shuttles are not running and also there are no UBER drivers in the area because of Covid. Luckily enterprise delivered a car to the campground for us.