Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Beach Campground Recommendations

We're thinking about doing our first beach camping adventure later this summer.

Driving from Nashville, TN area, so would like to keep it under a 12ish hour drive if possible. Would prefer full hook-ups and definitely a beach site, but neither are absolute deal breakers.

We've been to OBX, Charleston area and down along the coast line of the FL gulf area.

No real preference, although I'm slightly leaning more toward the East coast (SC/NC/VA) for a change of scenery, but also wouldn't mind GA /FL maybe.

There's so many choices I'm not really sure what to do other than hear about other's CG experiences or throw a dart at the map....or a combination of both.

We looked into Camp Gulf in FL, man that's one expensive CG!

Henderson Beach CG looks interesting -

Henderson Beach State Park - Destin, FL - RV Park Reviews

Anyways, any opinion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

Well, to your north are so nice beaches along the Lake Michigan coastline on the Michigan side (I can't speak for WI or IL). The Warren Dunes state park about 15 miles into Michigan has three miles of beachfront, a huge dune you can climb and six miles of wooded trails.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...pe=SPRK&id=504

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

Myrtle Beach Travel Park

We are returning this year for our fifth visit to the Myrtle Beach Travel Park. It has become a favourite for our family. The park is on the beach so you have full access to the Ocean. The transient sites are all within 200m of the water. The location is always clean and well maintained and the facilities are above average. When you want a break from the Ocean there is an outdoor pool, an indoor pool and a lazy river. You are also within 20 minutes of pretty much everything the Myrtle Beach area has to offer.

Staff there have always been freindly to us and even off season they run activities in the pool area for all ages. The on site store is well stocked and the Ice Cream Store serves huge portions

The sites are well groomed with a shade structure on every site. Being a beach location there is no natural shade available but the ocean breeze keeps things relatively cool.

If you are able to go in the last two weeks of August they are into their quiet season as school in that area has started back up. We always go at that time and most years have been one of the only campers in our row. I would say they are at less then 30% capacity at that time of year.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Team

My go to spot is St. Augustine Fl. My favorite area on the entire east coast. If you haven't been there and you like history as much as I do, it's a must do.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
We are returning this year for our fifth visit to the Myrtle Beach Travel Park. It has become a favourite for our family. The park is on the beach so you have full access to the Ocean. The transient sites are all within 200m of the water. The location is always clean and well maintained and the facilities are above average. When you want a break from the Ocean there is an outdoor pool, an indoor pool and a lazy river. You are also within 20 minutes of pretty much everything the Myrtle Beach area has to offer.

Staff there have always been freindly to us and even off season they run activities in the pool area for all ages. The on site store is well stocked and the Ice Cream Store serves huge portions

The sites are well groomed with a shade structure on every site. Being a beach location there is no natural shade available but the ocean breeze keeps things relatively cool.

If you are able to go in the last two weeks of August they are into their quiet season as school in that area has started back up. We always go at that time and most years have been one of the only campers in our row. I would say they are at less then 30% capacity at that time of year.
How far in advance do you need to make reservations? We are trying to plan a trip for summer of 18 but are finding a lot of places are already booked.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

We like Myrtle Beach State Park. It's right on the beach and the sites are much roomier than the nearby private RV parks.

Sites do not have "shade structures" because the campground is heavily wooded and they re not needed. Majority of sites are electric/water with full hookup sites scattered throughout the campground.

It has a paved walking/biking path that connects to the city's bike trails and the Food Lion across the street. The state park is at the lower left of the bike path map.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #7

Depends on Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
How far in advance do you need to make reservations? We are trying to plan a trip for summer of 18 but are finding a lot of places are already booked.
If you are looking at high season... I am guessing the earlier the better. But off season times you can show up there and get a site without reservations.

I have been suprised this year how much harder it is to get sites at many locations. I am amazed though to hear you are running into problems for 2018 bookings??

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #8

We just went to Tybee island and stayed at Rivers end camp ground it was great wish we could have stayed a week. 2 bulks from the beach. We left Nashville jelly stone b 4 that. Not a bad drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Navarre Beach RV resort, just east of Pcola, nice place, stayed there a month in Jan/Feb this yr. Might be crowded, never been there in summer. Lived in PCB FL for 4 yrs, enough of summer beach for me. LOL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
If you are looking at high season... I am guessing the earlier the better. But off season times you can show up there and get a site without reservations.

I have been suprised this year how much harder it is to get sites at many locations. I am amazed though to hear you are running into problems for 2018 bookings??
Suspect the problems they are having with 2018 reservations is that states like Fla have 11 or 12 months restrictions on making reservations. You can't make a reservation for july 18 until july or August 2017. The frequent flyers know how to do this and have their computers prepped to book the reservation the minute they come into the booking window. We found this out on a favorite state park on the Fla gulf coast. Checking at 9 or 10 months early and the park is already booked for all the best sites. Once you figure out the routine and have your site selected [suggest you target 3 or 4 sites] all you have to do is be sure you are firm on your vacation plans for next year. Most people wait until the last minute but this OP may be trying to early.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote