Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #1

Beach camping destinations??

Looking for ideas/past experiences (maybe?) on a beach camping idea. We purchased a new to us HTT late last summer and my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of trying to do an extended weekend trip to a beach. We are in Northeast Ohio and would like to stay within 8 hours, so we were thinking the East Coast from NC to DE and we wouldn't rule out a Laker Erie or Michigan beach. I would like to be right on the beach if at all possible. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences of doing such a trip that you would care to share? Thanks!!!
Flippin 416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
Looking for ideas/past experiences (maybe?) on a beach camping idea. We purchased a new to us HTT late last summer and my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of trying to do an extended weekend trip to a beach. We are in Northeast Ohio and would like to stay within 8 hours, so we were thinking the East Coast from NC to DE and we wouldn't rule out a Laker Erie or Michigan beach. I would like to be right on the beach if at all possible. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences of doing such a trip that you would care to share? Thanks!!!
Holland, MI
Grand Haven, MI

Two of my favorites. There is some beach camping in the Thumb area as well on Huron.

Where you are though, it's a toss up. You could go to the Jersey show for just a tad longer of a drive and have warm water. Just depends what you are into. I personally love the great lakes more than the beaches of the east coast until you get down to Jupiter Florida and further south for decent shore diving.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #3

Delaware Seashore State Park. It is right on the water, but approximately 150 yards (unobstructed) walk to the beach. Short drive to beach towns like Bethany, Dewey and Rehoboth. We go there once or twice a year. Good prices, great access to the water and nice facilities.

Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware is also nice. Its a little further from the water, requiring either a nice walk/bike ride on asphalt paths through the woods, or you can drive to a formal beach area. We haven't stayed here before, but we have been to the park before and its beautiful. Campground is tucked in some nice mature pine trees and has shade.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Assateague Island State Park There are a few sites with electric only.
We were there for 5 nights. Kids loved it. Keep your food well contained or the ponies will help themselves to it!
You are allowed to run Generators from 0800 t0 2200

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands...ssateague.aspx

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #5

This might be a little far for you but O. B. Fuller county park south of Escanaba, MI has a few beach sites.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
Thanks for asking the question. This will benefit us also! Looks like March is coming in as a lion this year.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it. I have started to look at the suggestions listed above. Thank-you!!
Flippin 416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Cape Charles, VA, on the southern most tip of Virginia’s eastern shore. The state park has some nice sites, but they’re inland a bit. However, there is a KOA that is right on the water, bay side. My wife and I loved it when we were there over our anniversary last September.
NotAmishEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #9

We're in NEO as well. Check out Indiana Dunes National Park. There is a very nice campground in the park with full hookups and access to Lake Michigan. If you do go, take the turnpike. We took rt. 30 over and it was brutal. Not worth saving a few bucks.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #10

Another vote for Grand Haven State Park, its one of the few campgrounds right on the beach on Lake Michigan. There are maybe 25 sites on the beach out of 200 total sites, by this time of year they are all booked for the summer like most popular places. If you are flexible you can usually snag a cancelled site here and there just have to watch the web site, here is a link to the GHSP section. https://www.midnrreservations.com/cr...MT-0400%20(EDT)
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote