Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Cabot trail in Nova Scotia

Looking for where I can stay on the Cabot trail and driving the trail. I have a 38' Seneca.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

The trail is not as large as you may think ( can do it in day). I have visited but did not stay in the national park on the "left side" of the start of the trail. (Had no alcohol allowed on Canada day weekend, so kept driving). Also drove through another campground just shortly after that one, and it was close quarters field camping... Which in a tent, we weren't interested in. So drove to the about halfway point and stayed in the "hide away campground and oyster market" . Was decent wooded sites. Not sure about the large size that you need... We were tenting. Showers were gross and needed an update. This was about 15 years ago though.
On the "right" side of the trail is whycocomagh provincial park. This is a very large hill with lovely views. We really liked this campground. The staff was excellent helpful and friendly. Recently the province has pretty much removed staff from provincial parks, so I'm not sure if this place is still a great place to camp.
I suggest using good Sam online guide for more up to date info on Cabot trail camping.

Please use caution on the steep incline/declines. Engine breaking is strongly recommended.

Edit to add: if interested in cape Breton, I would strongly recommend heading over to Sydney and visiting the Fortress of Louisburg. This is not to be missed when in this area of Nova Scotia. This is the real deal and is so much better than Williamsburg for authenticity.
There is camping there, although I've only stayed in hotels in that area.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

We are going to be there for a week and will able staying near Sydney. The fortress is definitely on the list. Really trying to figure out if we drive the CT with the rig and take 2 days or if we do a day trip from Sydney although 5 in a Wrangler will be tight for a whole day!!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Oh if you have a toad, then leave the camper at one of the campgrounds at either left or right side entrance to the trail and take the wrangler for the actual drive around. This will give you more chances to stop and check stuff out. And will save your camper brakes. Last time I was on the trail, there was garage after garage advertising that they fix brakes. There is a reason for that.

Edit to add, that I wouldn't leave the camper in Sydney as you said the wrangler is tight. Just at the actual trail itself. -- Sydney is a bit of a drive to the trail, so less time in tight quarters is better
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

ENJOY, it's a great trip.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #6

Any specific CG's you would recommend?