Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Caledonia and Codorus PA SP's. Anyone stay here?

Anyone stay at these parks? I'm thinking about Caledonia since about 20 minutes from Gettysburg. Everything I read, filling our 86 gal tank will be a bit difficult as the few water spigots they have, do not have threading. My first choice are the SP's b/c of the nature and lower cost than private CG's. Just wondering!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Team

The closest I've been to Caledonia was to drive by the entrance on US-30. Codorus I've been to twice, but not in recent times. You don't say when you plan to visit, but in season, Codorus is one of the few state parks that has a swimming pool and it's within walking distance of the campground. However, you might want to drive to the pool if you're in one of the loops that are further away, are handicapped, have small children or taking a lot of gear there.

Yes, Codorus is further than Caledonia, but it's a much larger park with more campsites and has a large lake. The closest town, Hanover, is the home of several snack food manufacturers and some (I've been to Utz's) offer tours of their plants- a fun trip for both adults and children.

A "water thief" will solve the problem of obtaining water from threadless water faucets. They're easily obtainable and every RV should carry one. The annoying part, though, is that with most faucets of that type, the shutoff valve is designed to close the valve unless someone holds it open.

If your "mission" is primarily to visit Gettysburg, You'd probably save time, money, plus have the convenience of full hookups booking a private campground in the Gettysburg area- and there are many to choose from. If your planned visit is "off season" I would think some campgrounds might even offer lower rates. I'd rather give my money to the campground rather than waste my time and fuel traveling between Gettysburg and a state park; especially if you're visiting for more than one day. 20 minutes? That's 40 minutes round trip. Now add another 20 minutes to dump your tanks on the way out (assuming that you don't have to wait in line) That's a whole hour you could have sitting outside your RV relaxing, sipping a glass of wine (or whatever your favorite beverage is).

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

I often camp at Codorus (several times each season). Some of the water spigots are damaged in the loops so we fill up at the designated drinking water spigots in the dump station on the way into the campground. If you want lots of direct sunshine, choose a site in loop D. The sites in the other three loops are mostly wooded. Also, there is a new Camping World store that is a five minute drive from the Codorus CG. We have not been to Caledonia so I can't offer any information.
Crexmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Yes, our main concern is visiting Gettysburg in the day and at night. I've heard they had some night tours, as well. We thought we may want to so do some light hiking on the Appalachian trail though too. But, our time will primarily be spent in Gettysburg. We're not going until next August, which is peak season. Yes, I plan & book earliest as possible! I've checked into a few private CG's near Gettysburg and keeping open mind, but they do seem alot more expensive. We're actually stopping in Gettysburg on our way to Lake George and booked an expensive private CG there, so hoping to offset cost somewhat. I've looked into the following CG's in Gettysburg: Gettysburg CG, Artillery Ridge, Granite Hill, and Gettysburg KOA. All but KOA can be booked this far in advance. We do like the idea of amenities of private CG's. I have a 7 yo that likes to swim and ride her bike. I will most likely skip the SP's this trip.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

The pool at Codorus has recently been completely rebuilt. It is quite nice. It has water slides and a separate splash/play area for the kids. You do have to pay to go to the pool but there is a discount for people staying in the campground.
Crexmcc is offline   Reply With Quote