Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #21

I had the stock am/fm radio antenna taken off of my truck at Rincon beach in Ventura several weeks back. As many folks have had bicycles, generators and such stolen I guess I should feel luck that's all that they took.

Friggin' tweekers - get a JOB!!!!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #22

In Campgrounds, we were using Genny in the morning and I used a cable lock to secure it to the TT hitch frame area, Genny sat with cover on, against rear SUV bumper when not in use. No problems. Left chairs Outside but pulled closer to TT under awning when away from TT.

*We left TT unattended at boondocking sites, driving off in SUV, we just left one chair out & a kids toy... Genny was hiding inside TT.
I admit I was extremely anxious leaving TT so obviously alone at the boondocking sites we stayed at!!

Didn't ever have any issues... Except for 1night boondocking, Genny cabled to frame, heard someone or something, poking around outside. Our closest neighbor was 1/2mi away... I turned on outside light & wished I had a shotgun to pump!!
:/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #23

Luckily we have not had any issues to date. Been camping about 5 years so far. I have had a buddy we have camped with have a Yeti cooler stolen, so now he cable locks his new to his front jack leg.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #24

No issues to date.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
So, my wife has been reading on a FB camping group about all the break-ins and theft people experience. I've been broken into at my storage unit. That being said, I don't worry too much at the mostly state parks I use. What say you? I lock my truck and trailer when I leave, but I don't pack up my grill, chairs, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If your going to take what’s not yours, go ahead maybe you need it more then I do
My concern is the damage done when they break into your camper. Please don’t ask how I know [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stan lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #26

The only times we have had things stolen or messed with were out west. In California, Oregon, and Washington we had to keep a close watch on our site, especially in CA. I grew up out there, and it is sad to see how "raw" it has become. It was not like that back in the 50s-70s.

My brother is still there. He gets stuff stolen and messed with pretty much every time he camps. Everything has to be chained (seriously chained) and securely locked. He has even had to buy very expensive "unbreakable" chains and locks for his camper and home. He is to the point of giving up camping, and he is counting the days until he can move to a more civilized and "old man friendly" state. Wandering strays and vehicles stop and actually walk right up to his house in broad daylight and take what they can. He cannot leave anything unattended for a minute. And he does not live in the "hood." He lives in a suburban neighborhood, or what used to be a neighborhood - there is not much "neighbor" left to it.

In the South, we have not had the first issue. We think it is all about the larger cultural/social structure of the areas in which we live and camp. Our life is a lot more "civilized" down here. It makes me sad. I grew up immersed in the Sierras and the Pacific Coast, but I am glad to live somewhere where there is more respect for others. That is how the CA farm towns were when I was a boy and young man, but they have really changed.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #27

Yeah we have 2 fur baby alarms, Chihuahua and Yorkie, and trust me NOTHING / NO ONE gets near the 5er without us knowing. If we leave the site I will leave chairs out on the side patio and since I have the "beer fridge" on the patio, I quit using a cooler. I always lock every lock on the trailer due to my tool assortment I haul around. I also always turn the water off as a "just in case" and my peace of mind.

Rob
7.3 Fan clutch upgrade, Mishimoto coolant filter
Airlift bags on rear
Reese 20K hitch
2005 H-D Screamin Eagle (Banana)
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
The only times we have had things stolen or messed with were out west. In California, Oregon, and Washington we had to keep a close watch on our site, especially in CA. I grew up out there, and it is sad to see how "raw" it has become. It was not like that back in the 50s-70s.

My brother is still there. He gets stuff stolen and messed with pretty much every time he camps. Everything has to be chained (seriously chained) and securely locked. He has even had to buy very expensive "unbreakable" chains and locks for his camper and home. He is to the point of giving up camping, and he is counting the days until he can move to a more civilized and "old man friendly" state. Wandering strays and vehicles stop and actually walk right up to his house in broad daylight and take what they can. He cannot leave anything unattended for a minute. And he does not live in the "hood." He lives in a suburban neighborhood, or what used to be a neighborhood - there is not much "neighbor" left to it.

In the South, we have not had the first issue. We think it is all about the larger cultural/social structure of the areas in which we live and camp. Our life is a lot more "civilized" down here. It makes me sad. I grew up immersed in the Sierras and the Pacific Coast, but I am glad to live somewhere where there is more respect for others. That is how the CA farm towns were when I was a boy and young man, but they have really changed.

My aunt, uncle, and my 1st cousins moved to Sacramento CA region in 1972 due to a job transfer. When they first moved out there, it reminded you of the Brady Bunch. Station wagon, convertible, and a ranch style house on a beautiful street. When we would go out and visit, we would ride bikes to the park, play ball, and spend endless hours just being kids. I wanted to live there so bad, but my father remained here in PA with his work.

Fast forward to 2017, the neighborhood that they used to live in looks like a demilitarized zone. My cousins are now all in their late 50's and have moved their families to various towns outside of Sacramento, but they all keep saying that they want to move back to PA. Unfortunately, things have changed here also and not for the better. One of my cousins recently retired and she and her husband visited last month. Though they wouldn't admit it, I know that they were here casually looking for a place to buy. They were mortified at what they saw. Economics and the drugs have all but destroyed this area too. It's so sad.

I guess the moral of the story is, we are in a decline in our society, morally, economically, and socially. Cherish the areas that remain like they were when we were kids.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #29

No Locks

Never had any problems here in New England, not to say there aren't problems , but in 35 yrs of popup camping ( no sense trying to lock) never had anything stolen like bikes, chairs etc. Bought a hybrid 8 yrs ago and never locked it, in fact misplaced both sets of keys until we sold it a month ago, just lucky I guess. Larry
Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #30

We traveled to Fresno, Ca for a family event and brought our bikes and the staff there stored them inside their workshop/storage room.

A lot of transient traffic and stolen bikes are quite common in the city. Heading back again in Spring 18’ and trying another RV Park in the city but will invest in a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lock and chain. Just in case they don’t have locked inside storage.

Like mentioned earlier, it is unfortunate to see the decline of cities in the Central Valley. Quite a change from the days when we would visit as kids.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #31

Sitting in the RV having my 1st. cup of coffee when camper and son from across the way walk into my site and proceed to carry off 3 or 4 pieces of firewood I'd brought from home and had neatly stacked beside my fire pit. After confronting and explaining that theft would NOT be tolerated they then proceeded (along with their later arriving guests) to walk thru our campsite multiple times until I explained that they either needed to quickly become a courteous camper or I would have the park ranger have them leave.
Steve-O Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #32

Park in Williams Arizona camp hosts suggested not leaving genys out at night. Said someone was cutting lock cables and walking off with them. We put ours inside!Must say in 30 years of camping we never lost anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Tombstone 09 (5).jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post

Very interesting comments.

Born and Raised in CA, native 4th generation CA, grew up in and currently live in a Central Valley farm town like you describe. I certainly don't feel as though my town has deteriorated as you describe. Admittedly there are some that have, many towns that were 100% dependent on the farm economy are facing serious challenges as agriculture and the related economy has changed. My town, near Fresno, has a rather diversified economy as its functions as the county seat, posses many federal gov't jobs contains the local hospital and medical facilities, and is currently experiencing incredible growth in MFG and privately help small business. My town has doubled in size to 60k people over the past 15 years.

For 15 years, I lived in the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley. Now my experience there is much different, there are no "neighborhoods" left and people have become very anonymous to each other.

I was extremely happy to cash out and move back to the valley where neighbors are friends and kids play freely in the yards and parks. We have experience zero theft here at home, can't say the same for my time in the "city".

So everyone's experience varies, but I think my point is you just get used to where you live and overlook what others would consider problems. I travel the country for work, there are places in each region I would enjoy living in and others that I wouldn't step foot it...I've hopefully made my last trip to Cleveland, but I am sure there are folks who love it there and have a wildly different perspective than I do.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #34

DW and I have camped all over the East Coast of Canada, Parts of the US and a lot of camping at Ontario Provincial parks.

We have never had a problem until last season, we went camping at a nearby campground (Fitzroy) which is only 40 Min from home. We usually go here to shake things out in the spring and or to prep for Winter in the Fall.

This campground has access to the local community as many residents walk through the park for exercise and things. We've been camping at this site for over 5 seasons.

Well, I woke up one morning and some "Kids" based on what was stolen, helped themselves to the following:

FlashLights
Fishing Net (Large nice one)
Lighters
Sun Glasses
and other small value things.

Despite this one off incident, we continue to camp and leave our things out as always without issue no matter where we go.

One thing for sure, When this happened I never blamed fellow campers. It's not what we do to each other.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #35

In well over 30 years of camping we have never had anything stolen. We leave out chairs, decent quality bicycles, and other things. We've traveled a fair amount around the country with the trailers and no troubles.

Many years ago we use to go to a county campground outside Madison, WI. It was pretty common for local kids to go through the CG at night dumping out coolers looking for beer. When we were using coolers we never left them outside at night.

My dad camped at Pottawatomi State Park on one occasion and was told by the rangers when checking in to keep their car doors locked when not at the camp site. Some local kids had been going through the CG and going into unlocked cars looking for valuables.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I've had the "L" snap pins stolen at a campground before. I took off my bars and leaned the bars and "L" clips against the A-frame. Went to leave... "L" clips were gone. I lock them up in the front storage hatch now!

We don't lock up our chairs, but we have our names written across the back. I don't lock up my Weber q100 grill either. I guess I am either too lazy or too trusting to look it up.
I had one of the pins for my L bracket disappeared while camping. I never thought of theft. I just assumed it got dropped and lost in the dirt while disconnecting (spouse and/or child always does that side).

I do carry a spare set of pins and brackets, just in-case.

Otherwise, I cannot think of any issues we have ever had. Have had CGs tell us that they have been issues recently.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #37

My brother had two expensive mtn bikes stolen when he was in Hemet CA last winter. They were cable locked to his MH and they were inside sleeping when they were taken. The cable was cut. This was in a gated RV park.

I lock my bikes up if they are out and don't leave anything other than chairs outside when I'm not at the trailer.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #38

At my former favorite campground they put up mercury vapor lights a couple of years ago... That's why it's formerly my favorite. They attributed it to thefts of the newer expensive ice chests that people were leaving out. Now... with the lighting... we can see nothing but lit-up trees, like at a Wal-Mart parking lot. But the thieves are sure better able to see what's available... and not trip while pilfering what you have.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #39
Site Team

Never have had anything pilfered in a cg.

I must be going to the right places!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #40

20 years ago we were robbed and vandalized at the private camp ground on the entrance to east Glacier park. B 4 that we liked the quiet secluded sites. They stole clothes alcohol a cellphone and tried to steel my truck. They cut the windows on our pop up they could have pulled the Velcro off and driving through bear county stinks with a broken window in your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk