Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Camping in Long Island, NY-- Are we nuts?

We are heading from Michigan to Long Island, NY for a baseball tournament the end of July. The tournament is located in Yaphank. We are planning on camping as we have found a campground a few miles from the baseball fields. The hotels are outrageous, and camping just works better for our family of five. When we mention our plan to people, they think we are crazy. Are we?

tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

There are limited ways through NYC out to the LIE. My suggestion would be to plan your trip so that you are driving the "through NYC" leg during off-peak hours. For me, pulling a trailer, that would be between 9P and 6A.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We are heading from Michigan to Long Island, NY for a baseball tournament the end of July. The tournament is located in Yaphank. We are planning on camping as we have found a campground a few miles from the baseball fields. The hotels are outrageous, and camping just works better for our family of five. When we mention our plan to people, they think we are crazy. Are we?
I live on Long Island and not far from yaphank. Also I was a town forman (retired) in that area and my men took care of those ballfields. If you have any questions I would be happy to help you out.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Thank you so much. We have found availability close to the ball fields. We would much rather camp than cram five of us into a hotel room for a week. Not to mention the cost with eating out all the time. We just don't want any suprises with hauling so far away from home.
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

I live on Long Island as well. Like Fire Instructor said, the few times we have taken the trailer off the island, we left at 3am to avoid traffic and hung out just outside the city until midnight before crossing the bridges. Could we do it in the day? Of course, but, why make it more stressful than it already is? Be prepared for traffic and high tolls, EZ Pass helps.

There are several state and county campgrounds to camp in as well as a few handful of private ones way out east. The county campgrounds require residency to book reservations online, not sure about walk ups or if you try by phone though.

I say it's worth it, but I'd use any excuse to use our trailer!
JLSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

Consider going across the Tappan Zee and coming back to LI via the Throgs Neck bridge
Remember your only way across NYC is the GW Bridge or the Verrazano Narrows. I wouldn't wish the GW bridge on my worst enemy.. after you get to the Manhattan side its potholes rough road and god forbid you get a flat. While you call for help. someone that you don't know is stealing your other wheels.
its been a long time since I went via Verrazano.
Tunnels are verboten with propane.

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #7

If it's the one I think it is you will be fine so long as you are in the T section. Coming in to the Island is the challenge. I - 80 from the PA line to NYC is 1 hr 30 mins. If you hit the GW bridge mid/late AM through about 1PM during the week it's ok and might cost you 20-30 mins in traffic. Before 7AM and after 3PM your sitting in heavy traffic.

Tolls are expensive so get ready to pay! About $100.00 on and off up to PA especially is you pay cash and hit a peak time somewhere.

Fuel is also expensive so fill up in NJ somewhere.

I would do it!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

I plan to go camping on Long Island at some point. You just need to research and make sure you have a good route to get there. I wouldn't want to be hauling my camper through the city if I could avoid it at all...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

My sister lives on the island in Hampton Bays and we visit regulary. There is no way in H*** I'd cross the Verrazano-Narrows bridge with my trailer. I don't care if it's 2 in the morning...not happening.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
My sister lives on the island in Hampton Bays and we visit regulary. There is no way in H*** I'd cross the Verrazano-Narrows bridge with my trailer. I don't care if it's 2 in the morning...not happening.
a bit breezy?

The Tappan Zee is currently under construction in that a new bridge is being built next to the old.. Its two miles long.. most of it near water level

So how do you get there. Port Jeff ferry or Orient Point?

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote