Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Camping in Long Island, NY-- Are we nuts?

We are heading from Michigan to Long Island, NY for a baseball tournament the end of July. The tournament is located in Yaphank. We are planning on camping as we have found a campground a few miles from the baseball fields. The hotels are outrageous, and camping just works better for our family of five. When we mention our plan to people, they think we are crazy. Are we?
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

There are limited ways through NYC out to the LIE. My suggestion would be to plan your trip so that you are driving the "through NYC" leg during off-peak hours. For me, pulling a trailer, that would be between 9P and 6A.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We are heading from Michigan to Long Island, NY for a baseball tournament the end of July. The tournament is located in Yaphank. We are planning on camping as we have found a campground a few miles from the baseball fields. The hotels are outrageous, and camping just works better for our family of five. When we mention our plan to people, they think we are crazy. Are we?
I live on Long Island and not far from yaphank. Also I was a town forman (retired) in that area and my men took care of those ballfields. If you have any questions I would be happy to help you out.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Thank you so much. We have found availability close to the ball fields. We would much rather camp than cram five of us into a hotel room for a week. Not to mention the cost with eating out all the time. We just don't want any suprises with hauling so far away from home.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #5

I live on Long Island as well. Like Fire Instructor said, the few times we have taken the trailer off the island, we left at 3am to avoid traffic and hung out just outside the city until midnight before crossing the bridges. Could we do it in the day? Of course, but, why make it more stressful than it already is? Be prepared for traffic and high tolls, EZ Pass helps.

There are several state and county campgrounds to camp in as well as a few handful of private ones way out east. The county campgrounds require residency to book reservations online, not sure about walk ups or if you try by phone though.

I say it's worth it, but I'd use any excuse to use our trailer!
JLSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

Consider going across the Tappan Zee and coming back to LI via the Throgs Neck bridge
Remember your only way across NYC is the GW Bridge or the Verrazano Narrows. I wouldn't wish the GW bridge on my worst enemy.. after you get to the Manhattan side its potholes rough road and god forbid you get a flat. While you call for help. someone that you don't know is stealing your other wheels.
its been a long time since I went via Verrazano.
Tunnels are verboten with propane.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

If it's the one I think it is you will be fine so long as you are in the T section. Coming in to the Island is the challenge. I - 80 from the PA line to NYC is 1 hr 30 mins. If you hit the GW bridge mid/late AM through about 1PM during the week it's ok and might cost you 20-30 mins in traffic. Before 7AM and after 3PM your sitting in heavy traffic.

Tolls are expensive so get ready to pay! About $100.00 on and off up to PA especially is you pay cash and hit a peak time somewhere.

Fuel is also expensive so fill up in NJ somewhere.

I would do it!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

I plan to go camping on Long Island at some point. You just need to research and make sure you have a good route to get there. I wouldn't want to be hauling my camper through the city if I could avoid it at all...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

My sister lives on the island in Hampton Bays and we visit regulary. There is no way in H*** I'd cross the Verrazano-Narrows bridge with my trailer. I don't care if it's 2 in the morning...not happening.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
My sister lives on the island in Hampton Bays and we visit regulary. There is no way in H*** I'd cross the Verrazano-Narrows bridge with my trailer. I don't care if it's 2 in the morning...not happening.
a bit breezy?

The Tappan Zee is currently under construction in that a new bridge is being built next to the old.. Its two miles long.. most of it near water level

So how do you get there. Port Jeff ferry or Orient Point?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
a bit breezy?

The Tappan Zee is currently under construction in that a new bridge is being built next to the old.. Its two miles long.. most of it near water level

So how do you get there. Port Jeff ferry or Orient Point?

When we visit, it's not with the trailer. We stay at my sisters house. We take the V-N bridge then the parkway all the way out. I've crossed that bridge a thousand times and have always said I'd never tow anything across it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Remember your only way across NYC is the GW Bridge or the Verrazano Narrows.
Unless you come down the NYS Thruway (I-87) to the Major Deagan Expressway, then north (actually east) onto I-95, the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Unless you come down the NYS Thruway (I-87) to the Major Deagan Expressway, then north (actually east) onto I-95, the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Having lived in Westchester county for a long time.. that is not a good route.

yes it uses the TZ bridge. The Cross Bronx is what I wrote of. What a god awful condition that road is in where it goes under apartment buildings in a sort of tunnel.

TZ to 287 ( Cross Westchester Expressway) to 95 south and then Throgs Neck is way better.

You can also use Whitestone but that dumps you more in Queens

Last month we went ( towing the TT)from Rockland County NY to Maine.. and used that 287. It had years of construction and is all better now. In good shape. No holes

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

I would either take I80 across the GW bridge then the Throggs Neck Bridge to the LIE (I495) OR go across MI to Port Huron,then across Ontario to NY. Take the NYS Thruway south to I84 east to I684 south. You can connect with I95 south and take the Throggs Neck Bridge. You would avoid the GW Bridge if you prefer. I have taken both ways and timing your entry is important to having a less stressful trip. If you get caught in traffic just be patient. Just out of curiosity what campground have you chosen?

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #15

Quote:
TZ to 287 ( Cross Westchester Expressway) to 95 south and then Throgs Neck is way better
I drive to LI from ALB at least 2x per month for work. Doing it again this morning, in fact....

All the times the Ive done it, trying all the various routing options, this is a route that I've never done. My usual route (non-towing) is 287 to Sprain, to Cross-County, to Hutch, to Whitestone, to Cross Island Pkwy, to LIE...

I guess I have a new route to try this morning!!!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #16

Quote:
I drive to LI from ALB at least 2x per month for work. Doing it again this morning, in fact....

All the times the Ive done it, trying all the various routing options, this is a route that I've never done. My usual route (non-towing) is 287 to Sprain, to Cross-County, to Hutch, to Whitestone, to Cross Island Pkwy, to LIE...

I guess I have a new route to try this morning!!!
Well that would be fine.. except TT are banned from Parkways.. Gritted our teeth and fought through Stamford the last time in i 95 as the Hutch was verboten.

CBS 880 radio has annoyingly frequent traffic updates. But usually are the best and latest when something plugs up.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
My usual route (non-towing) is 287 to Sprain, to Cross-County, to Hutch, to Whitestone, to Cross Island Pkwy, to LIE...
Wow, that seems like work. I lived in Rockland for 25 years and drove back and forth every week to Long Island for the last 10 (I now live on Long Island), my route is/was always TZ Bridge, 287 to 95 to Throgs Neck, Clear View to LIE.

I've tried to dip between Sprain, Hutch, Cross County but just taking 95 may add 5-10 minutes in travel time and a few extra miles on the car, but it's a straight shot and aside from the usual traffic trying to get on/off at the Hutch right by the Throgs, its the least stressful.

The Hutch is just a nasty, nasty narrow winding road.

And to the one who said the Cross Bronx is an awful road, you're 100% right. Potholes have their own potholes. I used to drive from Long Island to Newark Airport twice a week and was in constant fear of blowing out a tire. The benefit of taking the Cross Bronx with our Jayco is that at 2 in the morning we can go slow enough it's not too much of a danger.

Any other time of day when you're not towing, if you're not sitting in standstill traffic, you better be going 70mph (all of New York traffic is that way, I suppose!)
JLSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Tried the 287 to 95 route today. Very good route!!!

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #19

We are extremely overwhemed after reading all of the responses. We are thinking that we may have to find a place to stay. Hauling the camper may just be too hard. It isn't the distance that bothers us, but the route to get to the campground.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We are extremely overwhemed after reading all of the responses. We are thinking that we may have to find a place to stay. Hauling the camper may just be too hard. It isn't the distance that bothers us, but the route to get to the campground.
Please don't give up.

All of the options mentioned are within 15 miles of each other. We just have so many roads in the NYC area. None of them are any good.

Because you want to pull your trailer, stay with the Interstates! Very Important.

We have something around here called "Parkways" and anything bigger than an SUV or 1/2 ton truck is absolutely forbidden! Overpasses are under 13' (some as low as 9').

So if you keep to I95, I84, I684, I287, I278 and/or I295 and keep to the edges of NYC, you'll be fine.

[Its quite the pass-time in these parts to argue what is the best way to get from A to B. Because no route is any better than any other. ;-) ]

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote