Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

camping in nova scotia from Ontario

Hi all, my wife and I are thinking about taking a trip out east to nova scotia for a week or so of camping. Looking for anyone who has gone here from Ontario and what campground did you stay at. Or any recommendations for a good campground in Ontario.
bexiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Been looking at doing the same thing
KOA has a an app for your phone which I have been looking at
there is a campground 20 Minute outside downtown Quebec City( with Shuttle) and another in the Middle of the Cabot Trail Cape Breton Island
All I have so far
My estimation if I hope to see anything is five days out and five days back and we haven 't touched the arriving there 2000 km each way without wandering
If you have any tidbit you discover please pass them along and happy travels
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

We have made the trip east many times. Depending on how long or far you want to drive each day, there are some good KOA's enroute. We have used the KOA at Ivy Lea on the Thousand Islands Parkway. There is another at Cardinal, Ont, we haven't tried that one yet but plan to this season with our granddaugter. Both are 5 to 6 hours. We used to go north of the St Lawrence to avoid the bottle neck in Montreal, now we use the by pass to the south of Montreal. It can be tricky, spend some time on the internet researching that. We often stop at the Quebec City KOA, that is a 5 hour drive for us. However last season we drove thru to St Antoine, just past Rivière da loup, Que. just as an overnight. The Quebec City KOA is a good spot if you want to tour the city, there's lots to see.
Our next stop is usually Moncton, NB at Camper City RV Resort, as an overnight, then on to Baddeck, NS at the Brasd'or KOA. Don't drag your TT around the Cabot Trail, also do it counter clockwise so you have a better view of the ocean on your right. The road can be rough and there isn't much room to pull over for vistas.
While in Nova Scotia there are many sites to see:
1.Fortress Lousiberg, there is a municipal campground in the town that is great but make reservations
2. Sydney mines tour, strong recemondation
3. Lunenberg
4. Mahone Bay
5. Digby for the Scallop festival and parade
6. Halifax, tour of the Citadel, strong recomendation
7. Pier 21, lots of history of immigrants to Canada
8. Peggy's Cove, stay off the rocks and away from the waves

Obviously more then a weeks worth. The highway is 4 lane until the end of Quebec and the beginning of New Brunswick. The speed limit in NB is 110 Kms/ hr. There is a tolle road at Coboquid Pass, NS, $5.00 or so and it is the best straightest route.

Fill yer boots as the say down east. In my humble opinion the secondary roads in NS are second only to ALL the roads in Newfoundland as the worst I've ever driven. Make sure to check your a/c bolts during and after the trip and have fun. You can get lots of info from the respective Provincial Govt's.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #4

We did the east coast 2 years ago from Northern Ontario to PEI with stops in North Bay, Ottawa, Quebec City, Bay of Fundy, Halifax, Baddeck, PEI, Fredricton then home up through the Laurentian's. Quebec City KOA was a great place to stay if you want easy access to Old Quebec. If you want a nice small private campground very close to Peggy's Cove try King Neptunes. It is only 2 kms away and right on the ocean. Lobster pound is next door and the owners are great. Not much of a web site but I took a chance and it was excellent. Bay of fundy National Park was a great place as well, with nice large sites.
DMRGMC gives all the same advise as I would have.
Enjoy!