Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

Can a Handicapper Enjoy Yosemite?

Living in So Cal I would like to make a trip to Yosemite. Problem is I am handicapped and only able to walk short distances. Being retired I can pretty much go there anytime but am not sure what to expect when I get there.

1. No TOAD so question is can much be seen while driving there in a class 32' C?

2. What would be a good campground to select? Maybe one where just sitting outside the motor home would be enjoyable. Also prefer to not have to try to run faster than a bear.

3. I see that there are tours there. Has anyone taken them and have recommendations? How do you get to the tours?

Any info on Yosemite would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Upper Pines (and probably Lower Pines and North Pines) have handicap sites. The valley also has a ADA compliant shuttle service that runs between the campgrounds, Happy Isles, Mirror Lake Trail head, Curry Village, Yosemite Village, the Ahwanhee Hotel, Yosemite Falls, Yosemite Lodge and Housekeeping. (Oh, is it good to call these by their original names!) There is paved roadway up to Mirror Lake, but I'm not sure a rig your size would be able to turn around. There is a tour of the lower valley that is in an open, adult size kiddie train sort of set up. It takes you past some of the rock formations with a park service guide explaining what you are seeing. I believe that tour leaves from the Yosemite Lodge, where there is a shuttle drop off or parking. I've never been on that, but I have seen/done all of the others.

Other places with short walks are the Wawona Hotel and Pioneer Museum on the way into the valley from Oakhurst. There are several museums and galleries in the valley itself. It is a long ride from the valley to Glacier Point, but in the summer it is spectacular. Not too long a walk to the Valley View.

Bears haven't been a problem for us (I go every spring with a group of high school students) for several years. You have to be careful with your food and obey the rules, but I haven't seen a bear in the campgrounds for a long time.

Here is a website concerning accessibility access in Yosemite:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...essibility.htm

Good luck and have fun!
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Outstanding info!

Jim

Old 11-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

I will add that the shuttle in the Yosemite Valley is free. It's a very nice to have a bus that runs every 10 to 15 minutes and goes to several hiking, shopping, waterfalls. They have the shuttle to keep down on the road traffic in the Valley. Its much easier to ride the free shuttle buses than try to wait for a parking spot in either Curry Village or Yosemite Falls.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

Free, now that is my kind of price! Thanks for the info.

Jim

Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #6

There is a lot you can see in Yosemite by only walking short distances. We have taken people up on crutches, a walker, and a wheel chair. You can drive the main roads and most of the major attractions can be seen from the roads. All of the shuttles are handicap accessible as are most of the tours. Stop by the visitor center, they have complete and updated information for you.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote