Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Cape Cod to Portland Maine

In early July we will be driving from the Cape Cod KOA up to Rangely Maine. I have reservations on both ends but would appreciate some advice on driving and on a place to overnight on the way.
Google would like me to go through Boston going in on 93 and then picking up 95 in the middle of the city. I don't see that happening. I'm thinking either 95 or even 495 to avoid driving the motorhome and toad through city traffic. I'm unfamiliar with the area so any ideas would be welcome.
For camping sites I'm leaving the KOA on July 6th and arrive at the Cupsuptic Campground on the 7th. I'm looking for an overnight somewhere around Portland Maine. Again any ideas would be welcome.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

We get WBZ up here in Maine just north of Portland and on Sundays have a good laugh listening to that station. Getting off the Cape sometimes takes hours.

That you are leaving the Cape at rush hour on Wed is problematic. 95 and rt 3 always jams up south of the city.

You might try running up 495 to 95..keep a sharp ear on WBz 1030 AM and decide to stay on 95 or do the big 495 circle around Boston.

Wassamski Springs is just outside Portland. https://www.wassamkisprings.com/rates.html

if all else fails the Walmart in North Windham allows RVers.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #3

I live just off Cape and we snowmobile in Rangeley, and someday I may have to see that area in the summertime! It's a 5 hour drive from here, so for me personally I'd do the entire trip in one day and not worry about the overnight stay somewhere.

That said, you can't go through Boston (propane tanks) so you'll have to take Rt128 (Rt 95), or 495 though that is at least 30 mins longer. Once you get north of say Exit 50 it should be smooth sailing up 95 into Maine and eventually Route 4 all the way into Rangeley.

Not sure what your GPS will try and do, but I recommend going through the Farmington area (route 4) and NOT come up the left side of the lake via Route 108 and Route 142.

While the views are beautiful that way, and it may even be 10 mins shorter, the road itself is a frost heave nightmare

Edit: I much prefer the WAZE GPS app over Google for smart phone navigation. It leverages Google maps but has the benefit of real time feedback from other Waze users, so things like construction or road hazards or a hiding State Trooper are updated in real time.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

My druthers would be 93 to rt 2 to rt 16 in Gorham. Then 16 to Rangeley
But the OP wants Portland 16 is good but it probably ls longer. Its got curves N of Errol.

I agree on Rt 4. Rt 17 has wicked heaves between Rumford and Rangeley. 17 comes over the height of land before Rangeley. It is beautiful as it passes Mooselookmeguntic Lake.
My GPS always insist I take 108 and 142. I agree Do not do it. Go to Farmington on rt 4

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
My druthers would be 93 to rt 2 to rt 16 in Gorham. Then 16 to Rangeley
That's a really good route option too. More scenic than spending all that time on Rt 95 plus more camping options should OP decide to stay somewhere in between.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

Its 92 miles from my house to Rangeley. We sometimes take Rt 17 as it is so scenic(OK I just hate rt 4 between Auburn and Farmington.my problem). But it takes almost three hours. Seatbelts required to avoid headbanging.
Thats without an RV!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

"My druthers would be 93 to rt 2 to rt 16 in Gorham. Then 16 to Rangeley"

Looking at the map I like the idea of going through New Hampshire. I'm looking at campgrounds south of Conway NH and then heading through the White Mountains on the way to Rangeley.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

I always use 495 vs. 128/95 around Boston as there are too many crazies on 128/95. Route 3 to get there is no bargain either (drive that to work every day). I made that trek with the TT once and, unless absolutely necessary, won't do it again.

The Cape Cod KOA is an easy run off of 495 too - I go by it on my way there
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

So the plan for now is to leave the Boston Cape Cod KOA on the morning of July 6 and take 495 wide around Boston up to the Bear Pine Wodds campground in Moultonborough, NH for an overnight about 182 miles. The next morning we'll drive through the White Mountain National Forest MoultonboroughMoultonboroughoMoultonboroughn our way up to Rangeley Maine. That will add another 103 miles according to Google maps.
We could do it all in one day but we haven't been back to this part of the country for thirty years and we are looking forward to seeing the area again.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #10

Sounds like a fun trip!!

Is the Cape Cod KOA in Middleboro MA? That's not even on the Cape so you won't see Cape Cod traffic..

Middleboro is 30 miles north from the Bourne and Sagamore Bridges which is really where the Cape begins. The bridges (both Bourne and Sagamore), routes 25 & 6 leading up to the bridges, and routes 6 & 28 once over the bridges (on the Cape) is where all the Cape Cod traffic is. You are well North of it all.

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic heading up 495 on a Wednesday morning from Middleboro.
Once you get closer to Boston, that's a different story. Mid week traffic during the summer shouldn't be too bad depending on time of day.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

The KOA is in Middleborough MA. My wife is taking some classes in Providence RI for a few days and that seemed better than going out on the cape to shorten the driving distance to take her in and pick her up.

Also we'll be staying over the 4th of July and I didn't want to have to deal with any more crowds than necessary. We could leave on the 3rd but we're staying over until the 6th so we miss the holiday traffic coming and going.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

We were trying to get into Cupsuptic for that same weekend! However, being newbies at this, we waited far too long to make our reservations. So, we're going somewhere else in Maine that weekend. My wife and her family have camped at Cupsuptic many times and said they loved it there, so you're probably going to have a great time!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by unh044 View Post
We were trying to get into Cupsuptic for that same weekend! However, being newbies at this, we waited far too long to make our reservations. So, we're going somewhere else in Maine that weekend. My wife and her family have camped at Cupsuptic many times and said they loved it there, so you're probably going to have a great time!
Try South Arm Campground on Richardson Lake. Not too far at all from Rangeley.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in