Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Dont know where you're at but this is a picture from Crater Lake today! Mother Nature is really messed up this year. Be careful out there!
Wow! Lucky we left there 4 days ago! Leaving Crooked River tomorrow on our way to Columbia River. Oregon is an awesome place.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #22

Here is our trip report, it was a great trip and we loved Oregon

Central Oregon and Coast
June 4th – 25th 2018
Some technical things we tried or learned.
1. Putting one cap of Calgon into the Black tank each time we emptied improved the situation with sensors not reading correctly but didn’t cure it.
2. Adding grease to hitch ball, sway bar connections, and equalizer bars minimized any extraneous noise.
3. Reset the Brake Controller: Stayed next to a retired professional truck driver. We were discussing braking down mountains. Our brake controller was set the day we took possession of the TT and Dealer told us we just needed to verify that it was set to the same number. Truck Driver made the comment that brakes wear and the controller needs to be reset as wear occurs. I checked our setting prior to the next leg and adjusted it. Brakes did work better. This was a good lesson. He said he checked his settings prior to every trip.
4. Trip planning completed using Good Sam site, Rand McNally Road Atlas, Google Web Site.
5. Traveling: Used Good Sam (written instructions as back-up, RM Road Atlas and Waze. Waze was a problem in many rural areas, so we ended up using Google Web directions in those areas. One note about Waze. Often, when we lost internet connection in the mountains, Waze would still continue to provide us with the directions. This was a great asset in some cases. But again, you needed to check the original directions to assure they were accurate.
One note: We are both Seniors and retired. We travel with our dog, Aki. We understand that having her limits some of what we can do, but having her around all day more than makes up for the minor inconvenience.
To Red Bluff: Route: 680, 80, 205 & 5. Normal bad traffic on 680 into Concord and 80 passing Cordilia.
Trip was fine. Stopped off at CAT scales and found that this attendant had no idea on how to weigh a TV/TT combination. By the time I did my first two weighs the scale got very busy. I didn’t want to interfere with truckers on a time clock so I decided to weigh later in the trip; was just frustrated with the attendant. He kept fighting me when I tried to put axles on different scales.
Red Bluff RV Park: My review: Red Bluff RV Park - Red Bluff, CA - RV Park Reviews.
This was an overnight stay and we would stay there again. Pull through, good utilities, level site. See the above review.
Route: 5 to 97
Day 2-4 Crater Lake RV Resort: Crater Lake Resort - Fort Klamath, OR - RV Park Reviews We would happily stay there again.
Hit Crater Lake in the afternoon and then spent all day the next day visiting every view point we could. Weather was perfect! No problem with pulling the trailer. Camp site was on a river and it was just great. We sat by the river and enjoyed…..Mosquitoes in the entire Crater Lake area were a problem. We used mosquito repellent scarfs and clothes and Jungle Juice Repellent.
Route: 97
Day 4 – 7 Crooked River Ranch: Crooked River Ranch RV Park - Crooked River Ranch, OR - RV Park Reviews Would stay there again
Visited the Painted Hills and Desert area. It was a great trip, about a 3 hours driving round trip. The next day we visited the city Sisters. Fun little Western Town with some great and unique shops. Great views of the mountains.
Route: 97…..was supposed to be to 197 but in Madras there is a right and left split; right is 97, left is 26. Both DW and I watched as we went under the 97 sign. It was not until we started climbing Mount Hood that we realized we were on 26. We still don’t know how we got there. NOTE: on the Good Sam route planner there is a warning about a low tunnel on Highway 84. The warning says 11.3’ Our trailer is 12.’ When I planned the trip we were supposed to be on the other side of the tunnel. When I saw the tunnels I grew very concerned, but watched a 5th wheeler come towards me. As we go to the tunnel we saw that is was 11’3 coming towards us, 12’3” on our side, but right at the lower point of the arch. The only way we might have hit it was if the TT was scraping the side. Interesting that Rand McNally nor Google has a warning.
Summary: Route was 97 to 26 to 30 to 84. Toll over the Hood River Bridge. If your vehicle is higher than 12’ and you are going west on 84 go west to the “Bridge of the Gods. Also, the Hood River Bridge only has 9’ lanes, can get very close if another TT or truck is coming across. If I were to go again, I would use the Bridge of the Gods exclusively.
Day 7 – 11: Timberlake Campground and RV: Timberlake Campground & RV - Stevenson, WA - RV Park Reviews We would not only stay here again, we are planning a vacation in the area. This park is the best we’ve seen.
The Gorge and surrounding area are magnificent. We are going to come back to spend a few weeks here. We hiked, drove, relaxed, saw waterfalls etc. If you are going to this area we suggest you purchase the book “Curious Gorge.” RV Park owner loaded us a copy and we were able to plan our entire trip from the book. Hikes to waterfalls, museums, etc. We also took a drive to the East to see a War Memorial site that is a replica of Stonehenge. Hood River had a number of places to eat that were dog friendly. And I can’t say enough about the RV Park. It is just a great place to stay, walk around, relax, sit by the campfire etc. DW said to explain our feelings about the park. RV parks are for the purpose of parking the TT so we can see surrounding adventures. If the park has ease of use, good utilities, is clean, has decent internet, then the park gets high scores as it serves its purpose. (We don’t rate cable as we never even connect, no TV while traveling). Timberlake is set up so comfortably (as each TT site in in the “forest,” it is not only a great place to park the TT, it is a great place to actually camp and just enjoy the setting.
Route: 84 to 5 to 18 to 101: We ignored the Good Sam Route because we wanted to drive along the coast. It added 40 minutes to the trip (as planned) but ended up taking about an hour and a half longer because you travel through cities and they can get slow. Still was worth it but a few times in the cities I wondered what the heck I was doing.
Day 12 – 16 Woahalink RV Resort:
We were a bit concerned with our plan to stay at this camp as it is a base camp for dune buggies, 4 wheelers, etc. It is located right next to the sand dunes (8 miles of them). The owners get a 10 for management of the noise. They are very strict; they even have a decibel meter. If you are over 95 DB (National Park limit) you are evicted from the park). They also separate the 4 wheelers from “regulars.” Hats off the 4 wheelers themselves, not once in 4 days did anyone rev their engines or disturb the park. We did one hike (about 3 miles) that we recommend to anyone who enjoys nature and waterfalls. It is the Sweet Creek Falls hike. About 25 miles east of Florence on highway 26. It is an easy (off leash hike) where you pass 11 waterfalls. We went in mid-morning and it was a joy. If you want, bring swim trunks as there are many places where you can swim, if it is safe (due to water levels). This is probably the best hike we’ve ever taken in regards to scenery, comfort, and degree of difficulty. We also signed up for a ½ hour sand dunes adventure. Took a drive to Coos Bay so we could walk along the sand dunes.
Route: 101 to 38 to 138 to 5.
Valley of the Rogue State Park:
This is a great park, located right off highway 5. Yes, there is some freeway noise but with all the trees and vegetation it is not intrusive. This was a “relaxing” portion of the trip. Sites are easy in and out and spaced comfortably apart. We had neighbors the entire time (multiple neighbors) and were not disturbed. We wanted to be in a campground rather than an RV park.
We did a Jet Boat tour along the Rogue River which we would recommend; for us, with the low water, the excitement level was moderate. But, great scenery, nice wildlife, and worth the time and cost. Cost was $180 with lunch for the two of us.
Frankly, the other 3 days we just walked around the camp, read, visited with neighbors, etc. If a little noise bothers you, don’t stay here, but if not, a really great place to just kick back.
Route: Highway 5
Stopped at CAT Scales in Southern Oregon, at another Loves. They don’t seem to understand RV’s. When I checked in and tried to explain what I was going to do, she impatiently said just tell us on the radio. 40 minutes later, and 3 attendants total; I finally got what I needed.
17 – 20 Waiiaka RV Park, Yreka
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...alifornia.html
We picked this park due the good reviews and the poor reviews of other parks near Mount Shasta. We wanted to stay near there but it seemed every park had numerous “complaints.” Yreka is a great little town. When you arrive at the park, pick up the Yreka area brochure at the desk. We noted that there were 3 different “scenic tours,” we took all 3 of them over the days we spent there and they were well worth it.
Last Day:
Trip home was thankfully uneventful. Unpacked, washed the trailer, and put it back into storage.
Next Trips:
4 day Boondocking trip to Lake Tahoe and then 3 week trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. An interesting comment regarding Yellowstone: One Traveler told us not to “waste” 7 days in Yellowstone but to take 3 – 4 days out of that portion and visit the Grand Tetons.
Attached Thumbnails
Crater Lake 1.jpg   Stonehenge.jpg   Falls Creek Falls.jpg   Mount Shasta with field.JPG   Sitting in Camp View Crater Lake Resort.jpg  

2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #23

travelingjw, great write up and beautiful photos. Sounds like ya'll had a great time!

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #24

Thanks for the great report! We are likely headed up to the Oregon coast in the near future and your thoughts are very helpful.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #25

Nice write-up for sure! Particularly interested in the areas around the Columbia River Gorge area. We are wanting to spend some more time there. In fact just a couple weeks ago we were at the Stonehenge replica and War Memorial as well. Also took in the Maryhill Museum of Art which is about 3 miles or so west of the memorial.

It's been a while since we were at Crater Lake but it sounds like the mosquitoes are still every bit as thick as I remember. Sounds like a great trip that went relatively well - always a plus.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #26

For the Columbia River area, purchase the local book, Curious Gorge. It is filled with numerous suggestions, ideas, places to go, things to do. The owner of Timberlake Campground (awesome place to stay) spent about a 1/2 hour with us on the first day suggesting hikes etc that are in the book. We filled 3 days with adventures.