Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorses24 View Post
Very nice. Enjoy. We typically get 10-13 spots in San Clemente for Memorial, 4th and Thanksgiving. That's a bit harder to pull off

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for saving some for the rest of us (and keeping your loophole to yourself)...sheesh.

Very kind of you.[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #42

We have to book at least 6 months in advance to get what we want in the Michigan State Parks. We have already planned 5 trips and made the reservations just to make sure we can get a site. Finding if very hard to just go on a whim and have a weekend away. Now have to plan each trip. Especially as we go with 4 other parties and hard to get close sites. I have a feeling it will get worse.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Thanks for saving some for the rest of us (and keeping your loophole to yourself)...sheesh.

Very kind of you.[emoji53]

Wasn't posting to beat my chest or put you down, just letting you know its the same frustration I felt for years until I discovered how some were getting the best spots year after year. It even seems lately the little trick isn't working so good which means more are catching on...

Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #44

The popular state parks in WI are pretty hard to get into, always have been regardless of the economy. And in the past few years they've added electricity to many sites that had no improvements. Going to be even harder to get good sites now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I'll buy the cheap gas and higher sales volume. Improving economy? Not so much. I think in a good economy people would be going on vacation not doing budget friendly camp outs.
Tenting is a budget friendly camp out. RVing and owning a travel trailer and a truck to tow it with, is not budget friendly. In fact depending on where and when you are traveling, staying in a room may be the cheaper option. That said it's a lifestyle choice.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorses24 View Post
Wasn't posting to beat my chest or put you down, just letting you know its the same frustration I felt for years until I discovered how some were getting the best spots year after year. It even seems lately the little trick isn't working so good which means more are catching on...

No worries. [emoji4]

My husband calls me the queen of research so I WILL figure it out! I'm on a mission now...See what you started, lol?!

I am not too frustrated yet though as I was successful for the spots I wanted over Labor Day weekend, Memorial Day weekend and Columbus Day weekend. I only have a few more years to worry about it though as my DH will retire and we can go during the week.

Then we'll have to really figure out Internet so my home schooled kids can still go to their virtual classes.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #46

If you figure it out, let me know - I need to reserve 2 spots for a week at the end of July 2017 at Carlsbad. It'll be the 10 year anniversary of my daughters death and we are having a family reunion. I'm getting nervous about being able to get 2 spots, let alone 2 together!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPlayVA View Post
If you figure it out, let me know - I need to reserve 2 spots for a week at the end of July 2017 at Carlsbad. It'll be the 10 year anniversary of my daughters death and we are having a family reunion. I'm getting nervous about being able to get 2 spots, let alone 2 together!
pm sent

Old 04-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #48

Quote:
I will tell you how I did it for the reservations I got because that's the kind of person I am. May not be any groundbreaking info but it worked almost every time so far. I also forgot to mention I got a beach reservation at Crystal Cove beach in CA on a July weekend too. [emoji6]

I log in early, around 7:30-7:45. I pull up on another tab the standard U.S. time which has a seconds ticker. I find the sites I want and at 10 seconds before 8 AM 6 months ahead of the month you want (the whole month you want opens up on the 1st of the month) I start clicking reserve. It refreshes pretty fast each time. We have had all 4 computers in house with a person there ready to click going before when we try to get just one spot for Yosemite.

Put on your calender reminders for February 1st. I'm sure if you ask for help here there would be some willing participants to help you...

I'm wondering if Wildhorse has some sort of software that can reserve automatically. ....hmmmm

Read this link: http://activesupport.force.com/Reser...n-Sale-Secrets

I'm very sorry about your daughter. I hope I never feel the utter grief of a child of mine going before me.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #49

Quote:
I will tell you how I did it for the reservations I got because that's the kind of person I am. May not be any groundbreaking info but it worked almost every time so far. I also forgot to mention I got a beach reservation at Crystal Cove beach in CA on a July weekend too. [emoji6]

I log in early, around 7:30-7:45. I pull up on another tab the standard U.S. time which has a seconds ticker. I find the sites I want and at 10 seconds before 8 AM 6 months ahead of the month you want (the whole month you want opens up on the 1st of the month) I start clicking reserve. It refreshes pretty fast each time. We have had all 4 computers in house with a person there ready to click going before when we try to get just one spot for Yosemite.

Put on your calender reminders for February 1st. I'm sure if you ask for help here there would be some willing participants to help you...

I'm wondering if Wildhorse has some sort of software that can reserve automatically. ....hmmmm

Read this link: http://activesupport.force.com/Reser...n-Sale-Secrets

I'm very sorry about your daughter. I hope I never feel the utter grief of a child of mine going before me.

No software, I do all the above as well bit your dates are off. six months is too late.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #50

I know they say up to 7 months in advance but the only way I can figure is if you book for dates at the end of a previous month that may make your arrival too early...I'm still thinking.....😒

Old 04-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #51

Quote:

Thank you. I, too hope you never experience this.

Thanks for the info - I've heard great things about Carlsbad and it is centrally located for the people coming to the reunion. Any suggestions on other places should we not be able to get a reservation?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #52

The only other ones we have been to around there are Aqua Caliente at Anza Borrego which we LOVE but closed during the summer and San Mateo Campground at San Onofre. I would say that one would be a good choice and easier to get. It is a 2 min drive to San Clemente SB (another option but hard to get) or there is a trail to hike to beach. I thought sites #23 and #24 were the best hookup sites at San Mateo. There are also some boondocking sites too if you want I can give you numbers of one's I scouted out. My preferences are in privacy, view and space. Those are both about 30 min north of Carlsbad.

Otherwise you could escape the heat and check out Palomar mountain. Never been but want to. Julian could be an option too but no state campground there only private.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #53

Ever notice with all the new RV's being sold every year but no where near that amount of new campsites opening up?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Ever notice with all the new RV's being sold every year but no where near that amount of new campsites opening up?
The 'ol supply and demand??
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
We burn several nights each year over this kind of stuff. My typical nightly rate is $30, so if want 3 nights that's $90, if there is a 4 night min is $120. We end up just make a reservation longer than we want and just think of it as $40 nigh and leave with a day/night remaining that we paid for. It's not like I'm going to let $30 stand in the way of my family spending time together.

I bet we burn 4-5 nights a year this way. If rates start climbing I might have to rethink this strategy. But right now the juice is still worth the squeeze.

I hear you and agree. Except for the fact that Moose Hillock is $90 a night now. They are getting greedy.

Frank

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab w/Reese 20k Slider

2016 Jayco North Point 375BHFS

2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK (Traded!)

2003 R-Vision TrailCruiser (Traded!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #56

When I read a thread like this one, I'm grateful that we are retired and not locked into weekends. Sounds a lot like the frustration I used to have trying to get weekend reservations at Denver area golf courses.

Most of our camping is in the Rockies, and we mostly do forest service campgrounds, but also some state and national parks. Many can be had easily for a Monday-Thursday arrival. For a weekend trip with friends who work, we plan to arrive early Thursday at a no reservation campground and don't usually have any trouble getting a good site.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Most of our camping is in the Rockies, and we mostly do forest service campgrounds, but also some state and national parks.
What campgrounds do you like in the Rockies? We are in the Denver area and so far have most done state parks.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #58

Quote:
What campgrounds do you like in the Rockies? We are in the Denver area and so far have most done state parks.
We just got back into camping this last year. One of my favorites is Tunnel GC on the Laramie River Road north of Chamber's Lake. My parents always loved Kelsey CG near Pine and my Mom's favorite was Heaton Bay on Lake Dillon (reservations are needed on the last one). I use this website to research National Forest Sites: Forest Campgrounds.

And this one to find what national forest I'm looking in: Forest Locator

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Anyone notice how hard it is to get a reservation these days? We usually camp at state parks. In the past, we could book a trip with a couple weeks to a months notice. Now it's like a couple of months or more. [emoji35]

We tried to get a site at one of our favorite CGs (which happens to be one of a very few that you can site reserve) for the summer. Nothing. Kept trying further and further out. Nothing. Booked until January of next year. Crazy! We could get a "non reservable" site in two months but they aren't as big, or as nice. Guess we are going to start camping more in the federal parks. Maybe it's because we have a big trailer but sheez! Sometimes we would go on a whim and could usually find something. Those days are over. Bummed.

It is very hard game to play to get the site you want or any site for that matter at a state park. I have done a lot of reasearch this year and this is what I had to do please don't be a hater of my method.

1. You check the site calendar on each site number you want at the park you like.
2. Write down the day it becomes available to reserve such as for today I can reserve out on August 3rd plus 10 days out right now. Trick some people don't know if it greyed out you can still reserve the days just as long it's within 10 days of the available date 9 months from today.
3. The night before you can see what will come available the next day.
4. BE READY with the site open on what you want to reserve ready to hit the reserve button right at 6:59am. It opens for reservations at 7am. I start clicking a few seconds early then hit the back button and hit the reserve buttton until I get it. Sucks but that is how it's done. There were 6 sites this morning and all were gone the first minute.
5. This is cheating but I want a specific site on a certain date a week out longer than I can get it but I don't want someone to reserve it by overlapping on the days I need for my vacation. So this is what I do and don't hate me for it. I have my buddy sign up for camping and reserve out to the date I want basically 10 days before I can get it and then when time comes for me to reserve I cancel his reservation which costs $20 I then reserve mine right after the cancelation. Then all his days open back up for everyone and I get the site and days I want costing me an extra $20 buck to do it. I only do this for my week vacation but other times I'm just on right at 6:59am hitting the reserve button hoping I win the lottery. It's not any better than trying to get tickets to a hot concert.

The rest is luck and being super fast. Otherwise they are gone and you get sites with no power or sewer. Which we have done in the past.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote