Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Charlottesville, VA Campgrounds

Hello,

I am looking for recent personal reviews of campgrounds in the Charlottesville, VA. DW and I are planning to go for 2 weeks in October to check the area out as that is on our list of potential retirement locations.

I looked at Misty Mountain but they are full so the other choices are the KOA and Heavenly Acres. Looking at Google Earth, Heavenly Acres does not show up. Image is from 1994 and Heavenly Acres website seems to indicate they started in 1995.

Also anyone living in the Charlottesville area I wouldn't mind hearing from you via PM on what its like living there.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #2

We stayed at the KOA for a couple of nights earlier this year and it's your typical KOA. All sites are crushed stone, and overall decent sized. Don't know if I'd want to be there for two weeks though. If you do decide to stay there, be sure you follow the directions on their website - GPS will try to take you in a different route that is windy narrow roads. The map also shows a third option that looks great, except that there's a low clearance bridge (IIRC it's 11').

We'll be back in that area for a few days in September and will be staying at Heavenly Acres. It was several months ago that I was looking but thought I found several good reviews on RV Park Reviews.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Team

We stayed at the KOA for about a week. It was ok and one of the nicer KOA's. Noting special but convenient.
We have stayed at another called Small Country. It was a little rough but I would not stay away without getting some more recent reports. Good management can make a big change in a mediocre cg.

That is the only 2 we found on the west side of town, but both worked because of our needs which made them convenient to Palmyra and Fork Union.

Also check out Lake Louisa SP.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Thank you all for replying. I ended up booking 2 weeks in mid-Oct at Heavenly Acres. I did this for several reasons.

Misty Mountain had no vacancy and the KOA was almost $150 more. I also read a number positive reviews for Heavenly on Trip Advisor and others.

I will report back on my experience at Heavenly Acres.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

We went to Heavenly Acres in 2014 and liked it pretty well - it isn't super fancy, but the owners were really nice and we met some great friends there that we still meet up with on occasion. It is our kind of place - smaller and not so commercialized. Hope you enjoy it!

We just spent the 4th weekend at Misty Mountain - it is pretty nice as well, and we will probably go back again. We didn't want to go home after 4 nights there, so we ended up driving another hour and a half to spend 5 more nights at our favorite place - Endless Caverns in New Market, VA.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Just to say bummer that misty mountain is full. We visit relatives down there every year and love that campground. Will look forward to your feedback on heavenly acres.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charlottesville