Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel - RVs

In case you wondered, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel allows RVs with propane but it must be turned off.

See this link:

CBBT Recreational Vehicles
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #2

Just pull up to the tool both and the attendant will ask if its turned off and you are good to go. If you are planning on taking this bridge with the rv check their Facebook page because they often restrict travel for rvs when the wind picks up.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

Where do you stop to turn your the propane back on once you get across the Chesapeake bridge tunnel? I will need to get the fridge back on. Heading to Waves, Outer Banks area.

Thanks,
Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
In case you wondered, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel allows RVs with propane but it must be turned off.

See this link:

CBBT Recreational Vehicles
Thank you. I always believed that you couldn't.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Where do you stop to turn your the propane back on once you get across the Chesapeake bridge tunnel? I will need to get the fridge back on. Heading to Waves, Outer Banks area.

Thanks,
Earl
We travel to Rodanthe / Waves just about every other year. I usually just find a place to pull off onto the shoulder after exiting the bridge / tunnel to turn propane back on. Or if we are stopping for fuel I do it at the next (gasp) gas station... I always figure we have plenty of time to get it turned back on as the fridge will have been fully cold by the time we shut it down.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
We travel to Rodanthe / Waves just about every other year. I usually just find a place to pull off onto the shoulder after exiting the bridge / tunnel to turn propane back on. Or if we are stopping for fuel I do it at the next (gasp) gas station... I always figure we have plenty of time to get it turned back on as the fridge will have been fully cold by the time we shut it down.
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to avoid stopping on the shoulder. Plan to fuel up just before the bridge tunnels at a truck stop on I-64. Which should get me to the Waves area of Outer Banks.

Isn't there a pull off/inspection lane where I can turn off my propane before entering the tunnel? Or will I need to turn it off at my fuel stop? Read so many different things that are contradicting.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to avoid stopping on the shoulder. Plan to fuel up just before the bridge tunnels at a truck stop on I-64. Which should get me to the Waves area of Outer Banks.

Isn't there a pull off/inspection lane where I can turn off my propane before entering the tunnel? Or will I need to turn it off at my fuel stop? Read so many different things that are contradicting.

Thanks,

Earl
Yes, there is a welcome/visitors center before the toll booths. You can access this from either direction.