Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #21

As a current camp host I wish all of you that posted here previously were in the park I am. After bath house duty I spend a lot of time riding around the sites on a golf cart picking up trash, but mainly butts. They are everywhere. I have heard campers make the statement "I paid my daily fee, let some flunky pick up my trash". I guess I retired and became a flunky, but then I get to live here for free and this guy doesn't.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
As a current camp host I wish all of you that posted here previously were in the park I am. After bath house duty I spend a lot of time riding around the sites on a golf cart picking up trash, but mainly butts. They are everywhere. I have heard campers make the statement "I paid my daily fee, let some flunky pick up my trash". I guess I retired and became a flunky, but then I get to live here for free and this guy doesn't.
Ed,
You didn't mention the broken shower heads,handles or soap dispensers. What would happen if you didn't lock up the wood. Where do all those doggie bags go and how in the hell did that steel fire pit get broken.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #23

Well Ed, thanks for trying.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Most hosts don't get nearly enough credo! You guys really work hard!

The occasional host can be kind of a jerk though. I was at a park and had just pulled up, had barely positioned my trailer and was in the process of disconnecting. In the process of positioning my trailer, my front right tire went off the asphalt, by one tire width. The inside edge of my tire was about 1 inch from actual asphalt. This area of the ground is covered with gravel for about 3 feet from the edge (overflow from years of resurfacing), so I had one tire on the gravel adjacent to the asphalt. The host felt it necessary to come over and ask me to move my truck back on the asphalt as soon as I was unhooked. No "hi how ya doin'" or anything, just a "make sure you get your truck back on the asphalt when you're done unhookin'"

I don't think he was a very happy person or he wasn't feeling well or something. He barely acknowledged us the rest of the weekend, not even to return a friendly wave or anything.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but hosts really do deserve some respect.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Most hosts don't get nearly enough credo! You guys really work hard!

The occasional host can be kind of a jerk though. I was at a park and had just pulled up, had barely positioned my trailer and was in the process of disconnecting. In the process of positioning my trailer, my front right tire went off the asphalt, by one tire width. The inside edge of my tire was about 1 inch from actual asphalt. This area of the ground is covered with gravel for about 3 feet from the edge (overflow from years of resurfacing), so I had one tire on the gravel adjacent to the asphalt. The host felt it necessary to come over and ask me to move my truck back on the asphalt as soon as I was unhooked. No "hi how ya doin'" or anything, just a "make sure you get your truck back on the asphalt when you're done unhookin'"

I don't think he was a very happy person or he wasn't feeling well or something. He barely acknowledged us the rest of the weekend, not even to return a friendly wave or anything.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but hosts really do deserve some respect.
Hosts like that get their names written on the comment cards I fill out and send to the DNR. If they can't interact with guests on a friendly level even if they are chastising someone, then they don't belong in that position. Part of being a good host is public/human relations skills.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #26

I have a Lab she is 1 year old. She has taken to cigarette butts. I was in TN camping this past week, and she was having a field day sniffing them out in the grass and eating them at our site.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by licamp View Post
I have a Lab she is 1 year old. She has taken to cigarette butts. I was in TN camping this past week, and she was having a field day sniffing them out in the grass and eating them at our site.
Don't you just hate that when you take your best friend for a walk. Kind of the same thing with "Tunce" I have to keep my eyes to the grind stone every foot of the way. Good thing she can find her way back to the car or "TT" because I'm to busy just looking at the ground.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #28

Quote:
..."I paid my daily fee, let some flunky pick up my trash".

Ugh, I hate hearing this. I teach my kids to clean up everything...and leave nothing.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #29

I for one would not be a campground host! I too have seen what they have to put up with. I always strike up a conversation with our host and all have been very enjoyable. I am sure there are some bad apples out there, as they are everywhere. As far as butts, that is a pet peeve of mine, especially since I don't smoke. Those of us who have been in the military know how to field strip a butt. Those that have not probably don't and don't want to know. They just throw them wherever they happen to be. I hated that duty in the Marines. When it came to police up time, I pointed out the butts to all the smokers! That went over well! My hats off to you campground hosts. I thought about doing that but after seeing all you have to put up with, just decided to sit by the fire and relax and pay my daily fee!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #30

I have a trail camera set up beside my site and get a lot of good pictures day and night of deer and other critters. This one showed up a couple of days ago - wood thief. My camera is rather high end and the shutter speed is set to fast. Obviously she was walking pretty quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
07230005 (Copy).JPG  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #31
Site Team

It would also be nice to have pics of the camper who does not pick up after his dog.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #32

As far as park hosts goes never seen one at their site probably working . The last thing my wife and i do when finished with a site is walk it and leave it absoulutly clean
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #33

Way back in the day when DW, the kids and I first started tent camping, we had a favorite spot on one of the local creeks. At the end of our stay we always restocked the firewood pile, and took out way more trash than we took in. Nothing went in the fire that wasn't paper based. Still do it that way today. I am a smoker, (yeah, Booo), but I try my best not to leave my buts behind! (snicker) . They get fieldstripped ang go in a pocket, can, or ashtray.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #34

Clean up your butts

Ok, so I just watched a video on how to field strip a cigarette, since I had no idea what that meant (I don't smoke nor have I been in the military). My question is why is process done? Why not just throw the whole butt away?
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikester View Post
Ok, so I just watched a video on how to field strip a cigarette, since I had no idea what that meant (I don't smoke nor have I been in the military). My question is why is process done? Why not just throw the whole butt away?
I think the idea is to minimize the amount of trash you have to haul out, like if a trash container is not available and you have to keep it in a pocket or something. Shouldn't be an issue in a campground, but maybe if you are on a hike or bike ride.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #36

After years in the Army and as a non-smoker I got tired of picking up cigarette butts. On a weekly basis (sometime more often) , we would do a "police call" where a group of soldiers would line up at pick up trash. The military uniforms have large cargo pockets so they made great temporary trash cans until you could find a place to dump your collection. I still have a habit of stuffing trash in my pockets when I'm not near a trash can. Field stripping was also a way to make sure your cigarette was out before it went into the trash.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #37

Overall I have been fairly lucky and not had to many messy messy campsites. I understand that a piece of trash gets accidently dropped or blown away. But smokers in general are the messiest breed on earth! They take off the cellophane and toss it aside. The pollute the air I breath (DW gets severe asthma attaches from cig smoke). They throw their butts onto the ground or where ever. My FI was banned from smoking at our old house, as he would toss his trash and butts into the yard. The final straw was when he set down a freshly lite cig on the edge of the brand new deck and burn part of it. That was it. Period no smoking in my yard, and it does not matter who you are.

The boy scout outdoor code should apply to all. “As an American, I will do my best to - Be clean in my outdoor manners. Be careful with fire. Be considerate in the outdoors. Be conservation minded. “

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by licamp View Post
I have a lab too and she is exact same way. I have drilled the command LEAVE IT into her head. Thankfully she doesn't try to eat them anymore

I hate when people litter, how hard is it to keep your small area clean o.O
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #39

"The toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight. The butt of a cigarette can contain from 4 to 8 milligrams depending on the length of the butt and the content of the original cigarette."

Found that on critters360.com..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
"The toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight. The butt of a cigarette can contain from 4 to 8 milligrams depending on the length of the butt and the content of the original cigarette."

Found that on critters360.com..
Had a buddy whose dog ate the filters off a brand new pack of my Marlboros (all of them) when I smoked in HS. I'm not sure how much of the tobacco he actually got, but he lived a long and healthy life after that (despite my best efforts , but it wasn't his fault, I left them on the ground next to my chair and he sneaked off with them...).

My dog knows the "LEAVE IT" command as well, not only for various trash or other "smell goods" on the trail, but for holes and whatever else he's not supposed to be getting his nose into...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote