Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Colorado trip

Headed to Colorado next week and will be traveling from Colorado Springs to Estes Park. Thinking of taking the scenic route instead of the interstate. Has anyone taken the west side if so what roads did you take and how steep were the mountains?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

If you're talking about going west out CS, up through Woodland Park and past Lake George (24) and picking up 285 up through Fairplay, it's a great route, trucks do it. Good road and the high plain valley once you get over the front range is awesome. Staying on 285 through Bailey, Conifer and Indian Hills you can jump on the 470 over to 6 and Golden then you can take 93 up to Boulder. It's all along the front range and skirts most of Denver. In Boulder you can pick up 7 up to 36 which takes you right into Estes Park. 285 just outside of Bailey is 4 lanes through the mountains and 470 is the 4 lane loop around the south and west side of Denver (about 50 miles total)...the rest is mostly 2 lane, but good roads and interesting points along the way to visit. The grades are moderate....you have a 5% grade climbing out of the upper high plains valley around Jefferson Hill that's easily doable and you have a 6% grade climbing out of Bailey. From Conifer down to 470 it's mostly downhill 4-5% with a few ups and downs, but it's divided 4 lane. I pulled my Pop-up (1206) behind my truck (dodge ram hemi) a few times that route and never had any problems. Like I said the trucks use it... there aren't too many north south routes through the mountains that aren't steep and winding (switch backs), other wise you're talking about going over the divide and traversing north and then coming into Estes Park from the west, which again brings you through some pretty high 2 lane passes with steep grades and winding roads for sure. Just my thoughts.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote