Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #1

Dallas Bypass

Hello All. Hope I'm in the correct thread for this question. I'm looking for a way to bypass Dallas, heading West. I have a 20' truck towing a 20' travel trailer and I'll be driving on interstate 20, heading from Louisiana towards New Mexico. I'd like to bypass Dallas if I can but not on backroads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, John.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #2

Staying on I20 takes you close, but South of Dallas and Ft. Worth proper. Not a bad drive really. I would plan to try to travel through the area outside of morning or afternoon rush hours though. ~CA
Old 02-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #3

Thanks Craigav. I'm not familiar with the area so that info is really helpful.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:46 PM   #4

As someone who routinely heads from San Antonio north you are correct, avoiding Dallas is a great idea. If you are heading to Albuquerque getting north to 40 in Oklahoma works well.

If you do take 20, we've had good luck with several city owned free campsites (with hookups) along 84 in West Texas on the way to Santa Fe.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Staying on I20 takes you close, but South of Dallas and Ft. Worth proper. Not a bad drive really. I would plan to try to travel through the area outside of morning or afternoon rush hours though. ~CA
I agree with the above. I live in north east Texas and when we travel with our fifth wheel to west Texas, I've found the best way is to stay on IH20. Although the traffic on IH20 near Dallas and Fort Worth is not easy, if you stay on IH20 you'll probably be OK. Be careful not to get fouled up near Terrell, where Hwy 80 continues straight into Dallas; follow the signs to continue on IH20.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #6

Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello All. Hope I'm in the correct thread for this question. I'm looking for a way to bypass Dallas, heading West. I have a 20' truck towing a 20' travel trailer and I'll be driving on interstate 20, heading from Louisiana towards New Mexico. I'd like to bypass Dallas if I can but not on backroads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, John.
STAY ON I-20. There is a maze of toll roads all over the DFW metroplex. Avoid 700am to 1000am and 300pm to 600pm m-f. Alternate route to get to I-40 is US287. Beware-construction in Ft.Worth proper, otherwise an easy drive once you get off I-35w. I have dragged a 26ft tt all over the metroplex Aledo, Arlington, Saginaw, Azle, Texas Motor Speedway. I lived in Ft. Worth and moved to Spring the week they started widening I-35w from 4 lanes to eight in 1981. I-20 to Abilene, US83 north to US287 at Childress isn't bad either...and you go right through the 6666 Ranch. The 6666 Store is on the left leaving town, you'll miss it if you're not watching.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote