Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #1

Devil's Tower

We are traveling from Custer State Park to Glacier NP in September. Was thinking of taking a detour and hitting Devil's Tower. It would add about an hour of drive time to our original destination. I don't know how much time we would need once there. Was wondering if it is worth the time?
Sully54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

I can't answer for you but it was an interesting trip for me. About two hours to see everything I was interested in.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #3

IIRC it took us about an hour to hike around the base. It's a pretty cool formation and well worth the detour off your original route. You will probably see people scaling the side to get to the top (special permit required).
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #4

We live in Wyoming, and have visited Devil's tower many times. In my opinion it is worth it. You can get a brief history from the Rangers stationed there, walk around the base, and as mentioned, watch climbers scaling up and down. The surrounding area of the Black Hills are beautiful as well. That said, when my brother was here, and we suggested he take time to see it on his way to Rushmore, he was thoroughly unimpressed. So, to each their own. If this is going to be your only opportunity in a while, then why not? What do you have to lose other than a few hours?
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

We stayed for a couple days in the area. I enjoyed the area more than Rushmore.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

We spent 10 days in Custer SD (Big Pine CG) and thoroughly enjoyed the area. A day trip to Devils Tower was worth the drive and as stated a couple of hours is probably enough time to take in the sights. The visit left me with an odd craving for mashed potatoes tho.
If you want to visit Mt.Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments I suggest visiting them in that order. While not finished the scale of Crazy Horse is amazing and visiting Rushmore after could leave you with a “meh” feeling.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #7

We enjoyed the stop at Devil's Tower. You may want to reroute so you can go to the Badlands and Wall Drug in Wall, SD. All worth the trip. There is a great city run RV park in Spearfish, SD so you can camp thre and see all the above, and Sturgis. Good food around there, too.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

Second the City Campground in Spearfish, SD. That is a very nice place to stay.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFactor1 View Post
Second the City Campground in Spearfish, SD. That is a very nice place to stay.
Agreed! They pack you in there but it is a well run place that sits right on a creek. Plus there is lots to do in the area, it sits next door to a fishery and there are walking paths all around you. Beautiful place.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses...
Sully54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #11

IMO it's worth the detour. We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch last year to see the sights in the Black Hills and Custer SP. We took a day trip out to Devil's Tower, and I liked it a lot. There were beautiful views, and the formation is interesting as is the history surrounding it. The "hike" around the tower is what I would consider somewhat leisurely and nice. It's a paved trail with places to stop and rest along the way, and LOTS of good views of the formation.

I don't remember there being a great deal of access for "larger" vehicles? We took the TOAD out there (Jeep Grand Cherrokee at the time), so there was plenty of parking, and getting around was pretty easy. I seem to remember it getting pretty tight in the parking areas up around the main visitor's center?

My son LOVED spotting the prairie dogs along the road just inside the park. And the gift shops in the area were pretty interesting too. LOTS of alien-related stuff... And I thought a lot about mashed potatoes too...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #12

Spent a week in Custer Park and didn't make the effort to visit Devil's Tower. We did see Mt Rushmore which we enjoyed. We watched the movie of it's making and toured the museum, I would guess 3 hours max and we were done.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #13

I was well worth it. We were so impressed with the prairie dogs!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I was well worth it. We were so impressed with the prairie dogs!
I liked Devils Tower WAY better than Mt Rushmore! So glad we saw it.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #15

Worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully54 View Post
We are traveling from Custer State Park to Glacier NP in September. Was thinking of taking a detour and hitting Devil's Tower. It would add about an hour of drive time to our original destination. I don't know how much time we would need once there. Was wondering if it is worth the time?
Give yourself a couple hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
A4001926-88D2-4BEA-AE5E-A2F4DBC8B6B5.jpg  
Als1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #16

Are you kidding ? Did you not see Close Encounters? Best movie ever, how could you not stop. Get out and breathe deep. Nothing wrong with the air there.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #17

We did it a number of years ago. Def worth it but it's a day trip no more. Unless u plan to climb it
Dr Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully54 View Post
We loved It! It’s so majestic and beautiful. It was my 2nd favorite after Mt. Rushmore. We didn’t stay long, but so worth it.
zimkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #19

Just did the same trip in reverse. Montana to SD. Badlands scenic road, (Minuteman missile launch room tour, reserve in advance, and soilo, then up into Black Hills, lakes to camp around, on to Rushmore and then Deadwood, definitely stop at Devils Tower. KOA at entrance (8pm every night they play Close Encounters outside!) or Mom and Pop RV camps nearby. Got to climb the boulder field!!
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #20

Definitely worth the trip. I love the American Indian story of how Devil's Tower was created. Indian braves were out on a hunting trip when they came across a giant bear. It chased the braves but they were able to save themselves by climbing up a huge rock. The deep grooves on the sides of this rock were made by this giant bear as he tried to get to the braves. Enjoy your trip and definitely make the side trip to Devil's Tower!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote