Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Grumpy;381563]If you haven't already made your reservations I recommend using a Travel Agent that specializes in DISNEY, doesn't cost you any additional, Mickey pays them.

Thank goodness the DW is a Travel Agent! Every little bit helps!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #22

We did Halloween there last year. Didn't own an RV so we rented a Popup from a local vendor and rented a golf cart (not from Disney). We had a blast and big part of the reason we just ordered our hybrid travel trailer. Everything mentioned here is spot on.

This is the coolest resort (barring the ones on the monorail loop) to reach Magic Kingdom from since it is a boat ride there. The golf cart or bikes are definitely needed because the grounds are so spread out. If you do Halloween or Christmas, you'll also want to tour all the neighborhoods for the unique decorations of the sites.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #23

We went a few years ago and had a great time. The campground is awesome. Was very clean and organized. We took our bicycles to get around. Plenty of things to do at the actual campground. Made our reservations a few months in advance. Makes me wish we didn't live two time zones away so we could get there more easily.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJayco View Post
Makes me wish we didn't live two time zones away so we could get there more easily.
That's a dual edged sword. We are in the same time zone, but still 1200 miles away. We used to go to Disney, practically every year - non camping, mostly. It was using up the time off that prevented camping trips to other parts of the country. We decided we wanted to get the kids to as many National Parks as we could before we can't force them to travel with us anymore.

That put our Disney trips on a less frequent schedule, but don't worry! We still have our Disney Visa, earning or our Disney Dollars do so that we'll have to go back every now and then.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #25

For those of you that have rented "off site" golf carts at WDW, how do you get the cart into the CG? Loaner trailer, back of the TV? I understand the rental Co's used to be able to deliver and pick up but the Mouse put a stop to it some years back.
I'm finding out that having a cart is lots of fun when camping but with a 5th, unless I want to double tow (I don't), I'm stuck with renting.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #26

RedHorse1: Sent you a PM.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
For those of you that have rented "off site" golf carts at WDW, how do you get the cart into the CG? Loaner trailer, back of the TV? I understand the rental Co's used to be able to deliver and pick up but the Mouse put a stop to it some years back.
I'm finding out that having a cart is lots of fun when camping but with a 5th, unless I want to double tow (I don't), I'm stuck with renting.
You meet them nearby (we chose a grocery store parking lot). They lend you their truck and trailer loaded up, you leave your car there (locked), they wait for you to go to your site and drop off. Rinse and repeat when you leave. It definitely feels sketchy, but it worked for us last year. I most likely will consider just renting from the mouse when we go this year.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #28

I would so avoid campsites next to the bus routes. I haven't camped there but the bus we took went a long a road about twenty feet away from the nearest campsite.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #29

The DW has worked for Disney 20 years and goes once or twice a year with her discount of course. In all those years I have never been to Disney. Now that I have the 5er I may have to make my first trip. I'll skip the park tho.
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #30

You can have a great time at Fort Wilderness without hitting any of the parks. There is so much to do, two pools, archery lessons, horse barn with rides for the younger ones, nightly outdoor movie with a campfire, walk down to the beach and watch the MK fireworks and electrical boat parade. You can walk the mile long trail through the woods over to Wilderness Lodge, you will see deer, turkeys and many other critters. Then hop on one of the boats and take a ride over to the Contemporary Hotel where you can hop on the monorail and visit some of the other resorts. Rent a bike for the day or bring your own and ride the miles of trails around the almost 800 acre campground, if your into fishing you can rent equipment, rent a canoe. Its one of the best kept campgrounds you will ever visit. If you want to visit during major holidays they fill up more than a year in advance, reservation can be made 499 days out.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #31

I've been checking the Fort for 3 weeks now for cancelations for the week of Thanksgiving (I know it's early yet)...No luck so far! Does anyone have any suggestions?? Especially GRUMPY, he seems to know ALL things Disney!! Any suggestions is much appreciated!!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #32

As you know its very hard to get a reservation at the Fort from just before Halloween thru New Years, since you can make reservations 499 days out the regulars grab them up fast. You can sometimes grab a day here and there by looking online or calling the Fort, then once you have all the days they combine them into one reservation. Or you get lucky and someone cancels a whole week, you will just have to keep trying and the closer it gets the more people cancel. Check out the website Disboards.com and look under camping its full of so much info about the Fort, sometimes people will post that they are about to cancel a week to give others a shot at it. Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #33

Hey Gang,

So I'm in the introductory stages of planning a Disney trip in April 2017. I'm going from Jersey down to Orlando, so I'm assuming I'm going to stop in Fayetville for a night to recharge.

Driving the second leg of the trip, I'm wondering if there are any days to absolutely avoid? My first 'trip plan' had me leaving NJ around 2AM on Friday so that I could be at Fayetville before lunch. However, that has me making the second leg of the trip to Orlando starting at Saturday in the morning - which after some thought I'm guessing is a poor choice?

What days should I absolutely avoid driving into Orlando in the morning?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #34

Also I'm going to book a Premium site (that's probably what's recommended here right?). The fully paved pad that is extra large sounds like the right thing to me. I've read if I'm going Premium:

A. 1100-1300 are going to practically require a golf cart
B. 400-700 are the sweet spot as far as location to amenities/but not being right on top of any of them.

Is this accurate?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Also I'm going to book a Premium site (that's probably what's recommended here right?). The fully paved pad that is extra large sounds like the right thing to me. I've read if I'm going Premium:

A. 1100-1300 are going to practically require a golf cart
B. 400-700 are the sweet spot as far as location to amenities/but not being right on top of any of them.

Is this accurate?
The premium sites are nice, larger pad area which is nice when its wet. You can't go wrong anywhere at the Fort, our last trip we stayed in the 1400 loop. It is right next to the Meadows depot which includes the main pool, nightly outdoor movie and campfire, and store. Loops 400-700 are closer to the Settlement depot which is where you catch the boats to the MK, Trails end restaurant for lunch/dinner. Not really a need for a golf cart, the bus service is great usually not much of a wait. Going to the MK you have to take a boat, for all other parks you have to ride the internal bus back up to the Outpost depot where checkin is and transfer to another bus to the park of your choice.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #36

I'd prefer to have some quiet when I get back to my site; is there anything in the Premium sites that I should ask for?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #37

And if you are thinking April 2017 don't wait to long reservations can be made 499 days out and that time of year it fills up fast. You can always make a reservation and cancel later if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #38

I'm not waiting. Depending on what you guys say as far as the arrival day/traffic I'll be booking it tonight or tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'd prefer to have some quiet when I get back to my site; is there anything in the Premium sites that I should ask for?
When you make the reservation let them know the size of your RV, how many slides, etc. A few days before you arrive they go through all the reservation notes and place you on a site that you will fit on.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #40

I am not sure what route you are taking but I always hear people going through Atlanta say avoid rush hours its a slow mess. I don't think the Orlando area is any worse than other large cities at rush hour, and if you arrive on Saturday morning you should be fine. You can checkin anytime after 6 am your arrival day, if you site isn't ready you can park in the lot and they will message you when its ready.