Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Early Check-In Time Enforcement

We've camped exclusively at Michigan State Park campgrounds since we got our camper in 2012. The state parks have a check out time (you must be off the campground) of 1pm and check in time of 3pm.

In all the time we've camped, if we show up after 1pm and before 3pm, there's never been a problem getting onto the site early so long as the person before us has left (which they always have).

On our most recent trip, though, it seemed that for some reason they were starting to enforce the 3pm check-in time. Even if the site was empty. It actually didn't happen to us (they let us check in early) but somewhere along the way, they started turning people away if they showed up early. They made them go wait in the overflow parking lot and would only check them in after 3pm.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would do this. We chatted with one of the affected people and apparently they knew the old campground manager that had been there for years, but he transferred and the new manager is, I guess, a rather stickler for the rules. I understand having the two hour cushion as a just-in-case, but if the site is empty, what's the point in using it? And for the record, no they did not do anything to the campsites in question. No grass cutting, no tree trimming, no fire pit cleanout.

It seems like, pardon my French, kind of an a-hole thing to do, but maybe I'm missing a perfectly good reason for this.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Sounds like maybe he was trying to be by the book on the rules, maybe to make an impression..IDK. Honestly, I see no problem with early check-in unless the previous camper wants to stay longer. I've always said that campers should get that first day prorated since it's so late of a check-in.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

We haven't had similar experiences, but I agree with your French.

People don't think any more. And they especially don't think with a customer-service mindset. I'm sure if there was a reason a specific site couldn't be occupied, the visitor would understand; I know I would. But if there is no intention to clean/repair/etc the site, then let the next person in. Just from a management standpoint, it would be more difficult to have people gathering in an "overflow" lot, just to all rush in when the clock strikes 3.

So, even if customer service is not a priority for you, be selfish and think how much easier it would be for you to move people through in an orderly fashion as they arrive if possible.

ETA: I've even been checked into a campsite when they didn't know if the previous occupants had left yet. The office warned me they might still be there, and a couple times they WERE still there. I waited patiently for them to leave and went on about my day. I've also been on the other side and occupied a site until the very last minute. Having very young kids with you often changes your schedule somewhat. I needed to be there until the actual check out time, and I was fine with it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #4

We also camp any many different Michigan State Parks and always arrive around 2pm and never had a problem getting in. Sounds like the new guy is going by the book for now, which park did this happen at.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

We also use Michigan State Parks and had this experience last year. Very non sensical. I'ts not like they are cleaning the site. We waited a bit and then just headed to the campsite because it was empty. We do the 2pm arrival time.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

MN has a check in/out time of 4pm. During the summer we often, arrive much earlier. Seems like most campers take off early in the morning. It is rare we leave before 2 pm. We have found that there is almost no waiting at the dump station after 2.

Technically we do not have to check-in/out any more. But you ARE required to call a California # to book a site before you take it. We have rolled in late, do to the distance traveled & kids school schedule, and have had 20 year old's in our site, who did not book a site. Just claimed it, trying not to pay. Each time, we have kicked them out.

Once, the park system double booked our site! The park was empty (very early season), we were nice and took another site, and the ranger updated the reservations.

With these incidents, my DW is now worried that someone will be in the site when we arrive, and they are not going to leave.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Enforcing the rules is a good way to set a standard. We have been in a small number of private cg's who charged a fee for early arrival. Most do not.

Only thing I can think of is the power/water expense of allowing people to come in and leave late. You could say it should balance out but then........

The best thing is to verify what time you can get in and leave, then there are no surprises.

We stay in a number of Florida sp's that strictly enforce the entry time, others don't even mention it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
bap

I guess I am from a different perspective, but if a campground has (which almost all do) set check in and check out times, why do you feel you are special and entitled to break the rules? Why don’t you plan your trip accordingly? If you can plan to be there 1-2 hours before check in time, plan for the correct time.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

Perhaps their mornings are busy, and they have a rush of business starting with the 3pm check in, and the staff would like to get in a breaks and lunches between the rushes, so it's time to start enforcing the rules.

Please remember it's not all about you, and what you want, and when you want it. Park staff aren't your servants; they have jobs to do at the park, and they need time to do it, and break times.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
Perhaps their mornings are busy, and they have a rush of business starting with the 3pm check in, and the staff would like to get in a breaks and lunches between the rushes, so it's time to start enforcing the rules.

Please remember it's not all about you, and what you want, and when you want it. Park staff aren't your servants; they have jobs to do at the park, and they need time to do it, and break times.
Thank for your understanding and support.

DW and I were volunteer campground hosts in a rural national forest campground. We were on duty from sun up to sun down... and once someone us woke us from a sound sleep at about 11pm to get rid of a spider in one of the pit toilets!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

The times are there for a reason. Every site has to be checked cleaned and maintenance performed before the next camper arrives. Sadly far to many campers seem to think the fire pit is where egg shells and left over cereal is to be dumped, which all has to be cleaned. Your paying for a site from check in to check out time, not 24 hours...same as a hotel. If your not there that is your decision, same if you leave early. When you have scores of sites to maintain it takes time...sorry that you want to check in early and can't, but many times, especially in the high season all you have is a few minutes to maintain a site..and they are rented 100% of the time. After 6 years of work kamping I can say I could count on one hand the number of sites that needed no maintenance when someone left. And it's getting worse, people are pigs with no regards to others around them or those that come in after them. I understand completely why the campground manager is being "by the rules".. If he told his maintenance people to clean up site by site while letting people check in, it would take twice as long to do the maintenance.. We get a list of who is checking out and follow it down the campground to do the maintenance. You don't have time to keep running all over the campground to clean a particular site. This is part of the "entitlement generation" rules are for others, I want what I want. it's not all about you, it's about everyone.. No one I know goes out of their way to make life miserable for customers...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #12

You guys make a good point on the idea that the sites take time to maintain. I totally get that. But if there is no maintenance happening, and no intent for that to happen, the staff should just let people pass. If the sites are being cleaned, and they need maintenance, and that cleaning and maintenance is actually taking place, sure, you can't have people trying to occupy a site while you're trying to maintain it. Sorry, but you'll have to wait.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to enforce a rule just for enforcement's sake. If the rule is there for a reason, and that reason is being carried out, no problem. Just tell the customer to wait, the staff needs time to clean up the site (and not only your site, but the others as well). I think most of us would understand that. I certainly HOPE most of us would understand that. But if I was told to wait for a site because it needed cleaned, then I got there and it wasn't cleaned, I'd be kind of annoyed.

Just the same in hotels. I can ask for "early check-in" and if my room isn't ready, they politely say "have a seat over there and we'll let you know when it's ready". And I'm totally fine with that. But if my room is ready, why not just let me go?

Really, the site shouldn't NEED to be cleaned, the previous occupant should be responsible and leave it cleaner than when they found it. But we all know that doesn't happen any more, unfortunately.

BTW, all you folks who are campground hosts and workkampers, there is a special place in Heaven for you. I appreciate your work, and I take every opportunity to thank my hosts when I can. It's certainly an important and thankless job.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #13

The point is the staff has to go around and CLEAN the site and they cant when your there...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
The point is the staff has to go around and CLEAN the site and they cant when your there...
And even if "your" site is "ready, they can't go around and do what needs doing if they're also trying to get late departures out and early arrivals checked in.
Please be respectful of the campground hosts and/or staff and don't arrive early or leave late. Let's all try to follow the rules whether we agree with them or not.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
This is part of the "entitlement generation" rules are for others, I want what I want. it's not all about you, it's about everyone.. No one I know goes out of their way to make life miserable for customers...
We knew some of the people coming in that were affected by this and they ranged in age from their 40s to their 70s. So I'm curious what generation you're referring to as entitled. And, just as a side note, entire generations aren't by any means entitled and classifying people as such just on their age is a pretty unfair generalization for ANY generation, but that's a discussion for a different day and not in this forum.

My point isn't anything about entitlement. It's going from the simple fact that, in the probably 40 or so trips we've made with our rig over the past seven seasons, on any occasion when we've shown up early (I'd say around half), we've never been denied. Well, only once and that's because the last people were late in getting off the site. In that case, we had no problem. We just waited. But every other time, not an issue.

As far as cleaning, the only cleaning that I think they typically MIGHT do is cleaning out the fire pits. And even that is iffy. We've shown up plenty of times, both early and after check-in, and found the fire pit full of trash. Other times, we've found it clean. And, honestly, if it's dirty and I want to use the pit, I just suck it up and clean it out myself.

People asked about reasons that we would like to check in early. For us, we have a hybrid with a pretty long setup process (including managing our two young kids who are usually wound up from the car ride). Getting there early allows us to be all setup and maybe have a little bit of down time before having to turn around and get started on dinner. Leaving at certain times to get there around 1-2pm also often helps us hit traffic at low points. Yes, I understand that these things aren't by any means necessary, but they're nice to have, especially when you've had no problem with these 95% of the time in the past.

If that makes me entitled, well then, put me on the list, I guess.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
We are not talking about a hotel room that needs a change of sheets, clean bathroom and vacuum. I have never seen a campsite get the grass mowed, any trash picked up, fire pit cleaned after someone left. Its pretty much a turnkey operation, I have found that with our state parks I can pretty much arrive anytime past noon and check in early with no problems, check in stations are always manned with 2-3 people and check in is very fast maybe a few minutes since all my info is online from when I reserved the site.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

We are in Arizona and it seems if the spots empty your good to go in!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #18

Back to the OP's statement regarding the new SP employee, it seems he may be either new or a stickler for following the rules. Not a bad thing.

However, after years of entering this park early, it might be worthwhile to perhaps find out who the new employee reports to and ask about the previous manager's flexability and see if the higher up might ask the new guy to also be a bit more flexable.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #19

I think there are good points made on both sides of this discussion. For us, when traveling in the heat of summer we like to get An early start to beat the real heat of the day. This sometimes means arriving as early as noon at our destination. That said, I understand and respect the issues csmpground workers deal with (although I’ve never been one). For that reason we always call the campground before we leave that day and ask about early check-in. We can get 3 responses—(1) not possible and then we delay our departure time; (2) site is occupied, but if vacant when we arrive we can check-in, in which case we decide whether or not to proceed or wait, or (3) site is open and we can check in at anytime. We never take early check- in for granted.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Jday7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #20

Sounds like a good plan!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote