Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Elk Meadow Lodge and RV Resort

Disappointed..We made reservations on 2/15/20 for late August 2020. My wife is immune system compromised, due to her oral breast cancer chemo. Now, Covid 19 has hit and her oncologist advised us not to travel. We called Elk Meadow Lodge and RV resort this morning (3/15/20) and asked to cancel our reservations and to please refund our $148 deposit, due to the above medical reason. They refused, saying all deposits are non-refundable. I find this heartless to say the least. We didn't know the Covid 19 virus was going to surface and we can't place my wife's life in jeopardy unnecessarily. I think it's fair and reasonable for Elk Meadows Lodge and RV Resort to refund our deposit, they still have 5 months to rent to someone else. The airlines, cruises and all other RV resorts are refunding deposits due to the virus. I will dispute this case with my credit card bank, I have also filed a dispute with the BBB and asked for their arbitration. I will keep everyone up to date. I will also be posting reviews on the BBB website, along with Travel Advisor, Yelp, and several others. Just an additional note: ALL the RV parks we were booked with on our 7 weeks planned trip have refunded our deposit due to our medical situation, EXCEPT ELK MEADOW LODGE AND RV RESORT.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Did the reservation spell out the cancellation policy?

Pursuing it thru your credit card company will likely get the refund back.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #3

Elk Meadows has a cancellation policy, however, you don't know what it is until you receive your email receipt. The issue for me, was all about Covid 19. We made reservations on Feb. 15th, no one knew about Covid 19 at that time. We cancelled on March 15th, because Covid 19 was now a health issue. My wife is recovering from breast cancer, she takes a daily chemo pill for 5 years following her surgery and radiation. Her oncologist advised us not to travel because she has a compromised immune system due to the chemo. Our reservations were for August 23 thru August 26. We have more than 5 months notice and this is indeed a life threatening concern for my wife. This is also a National crisis... We had reservation made over a 7 week period, we planned to travel from Indiana to Colorado, then the Utah canyon lands, then on to the Grand Canyon. I want to share that every one of our deposits was returned, with the exception of Elk Meadows. They will easily rent our reserved site with more than 5 months remaining after our cancellation. This is a life threatening situation for my wife, but Elk Meadows doesn't care. It's their opportunity to double dip, because of Covid 19. I am very disappointed they wouldn't even give us a credit for the $149 deposit that we made. Very disappointing to see such greed...
Old 07-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Team

We had to leave a campground early due to a hurricane a few years back. We had just extended our stay for 2 days when it changed directions. we bailed and before we got out of the parking lot, they had rented the site to someone else.
We never got a refund, also never went back.

Hope they see the light but either way you are in the right!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #5

Thank you… I appreciate your support!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggerman View Post
We called Elk Meadow Lodge and RV resort this morning (3/15/20) and asked to cancel our reservations and to please refund our $148 deposit, due to the above medical reason.
I'm confused.......

But right in their policies which is on their web site:

https://elkmeadowrv.com/resort-policies/

REFUNDS/CREDITS: No refunds or camp credits are permitted. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Also on their reservation page:

Notes:

• Either a deposit of 50% or full payment is required at the time of our follow-up call.
• All one-night reservations require payment in full (including taxes and fees).
• Reservations of two nights or more will require a 50% deposit.
• ALL PAYMENTS AND DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE

I can understand your frustration, but it is spelled out in two places

Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

We are not living in normal times, Covid 19 has changed everything we do, including travels. The airline, cruise line and trains are giving refunds for cancelled reservations because of Covid 19. It's a National crisis...and, it's simply not acceptable for business to exploit people because of it. We had $1500 worth of deposits over a planned 7 week tour of Colorado, Utah and Arizona...many were "no refund" campgrounds. We received refunds from EVERYBODY, with the exception of Elk Meadows. We gave them more than 5 months notice and explained that due to Covid 19 and my wife compromised immune system we had to cancel or plans, it's not reasonable expect us to risk my wife's live, because of Covid 19. Covid 19 didn't exist on February 15 when we initially made our reservations. I hope this give you another prospective...Elk Meadows is all about money, they don't care about you, me or anyone else. They had 5 plus months to rent the site we reserved...they are exploiting people because of greed, no compassion at Elk Meadows.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Also a little confused with your dates but if you are talking about the Elk Meadows in Estes Park, Co I am on your side. We've been going to EP for a month each year for I think about the last 12 years. We started with them in 2007 or 8, not too sure about the date, and they were a friendly, accommodating rv park. Sometime after that they changed owners. The park really started going downhill, interior roads turned to dust, no maintenance of the already not good dirt sites, friendly staff quit and the prices went steadily up.

Our last year there maybe 4 or 5 years ago I had continuous sinus issues due to the dust which meant we could not sit outside and had to keep the fifth wheel closed up. They had raised prices again and our 4 weeks there were about $1800. I had a medical issue come up and thought we would have to leave about 2 weeks into the trip. I did not ask for a refund but asked if at least a portion could be transferred to next year's reservation. I was told tough poop, buddy. We didn't have to leave but I said no more. I know they have their stated policies but I also have the option of not doing business with them.

There is really not a I would call a nice campground in all of EP but there are some that are acceptable and a little more accommodating. We started using Manor RV Park. We will be there for our month this September. Rocky Mountain NP is our favorite place in the country.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #9

As I stated I understand your frustration and think they should reconsider. Based on experience, I also think you were fortunate that they were the only one who refused.

You posted that they only provided the refund policy when you got your confirmation that is why I added the info I did. I know of very few CG who don't list their policies on their web site that is why I looked.

Over 40 + years we too have had to cancel for medical reasons and in most cases did not get refunds when the policy was "no exceptions". We were offered a credit, but most of the time those were only good for the same year, so basically useless.

Unfortunately that is more the norm than the exception with many campgrounds.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #10

Thank you, however, COVID-19 should be considered...it’s a National crisis, claiming more than 140,000 American lives to date. Elk Meadows is indeed making a more money as a result...so wrong in my eyes.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #11

Thank you for your support.F350 guy.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #12

Maybe they do not need to give you a refund legally but morally they should without question. I'm sure $148 is not going to break them but apparently they think they need the $ more than you. Make sure you leave reviews on Trip Advisor, etc. so others can see their not so great customer service.
Building Inspector & Navy Vet.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #13

I would call them back and keep your reservation... don't let the greedy #%$&@ rent your space out to others and double charge for the same spot.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #14
Site Team

We just made reservations for next year in our favorite CG in the smokies. They told us up front that the policy next year was a reservation fee. If we cancelled for any reason there would be no refund of any part of it.

The explanation is their bottom line because when a month long reservation is cancelled, they may not be able to recoup their investment.

I am ok with it if I know about the policy in advance.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #15

If the nightly rates are $74.00. and the cancellation policy is:

So keeping $74.00 would be in the limits of the policy for one night.. . why did they keep two nights? that is not a deposit of half of one nights stay?

I would file a claim with your credit card issuer, or your bank if you sent a check. And write a review on every site that is relevant to the campground that others can read and be wary of .

Old 07-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
If the nightly rates are $74.00. and the cancellation policy is:

So keeping $74.00 would be in the limits of the policy for one night.. . why did they keep two nights? that is not a deposit of half of one nights stay?
If he booked 4 nights they would require a 2 night deposit (50%)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If he booked 4 nights they would require a 2 night deposit (50%)
Absurd... totally absurd in what we have experienced across the USA.

In the last 4 years of travel from Minnesota - to Florida - to Arizona to Idaho... We always stay at least 5 days in EVERY location. Never, NEVER have we been asked to put a deposit of more than ONE NIGHT in advance. PERIOD. and we have stayed at some exclusive Class A only resorts on the gulf coast of FL too.

Granted, I don't work for the RV industry, have all the inside RV industry knowledge and get all the perks of being such, but I am a general anybody that calls - asks if they have a space for us and if they do - we give one nights deposit.

Have we given up a few of those one-night deposits - sure have. Never more have we been asked for, and never more have we been charged.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:

In the last 4 years of travel from Minnesota - to Florida - to Arizona to Idaho... We always stay at least 5 days in EVERY location. Never, NEVER have we been asked to put a deposit of more than ONE NIGHT in advance. PERIOD. and we have stayed at some exclusive Class A only resorts on the gulf coast of FL too.

Granted, I don't work for the RV industry, have all the inside RV industry knowledge and get all the perks of being such, but I am a general anybody that calls - asks if they have a space for us and if they do - we give one nights deposit.

Have we given up a few of those one-night deposits - sure have. Never more have we been asked for, and never more have we been charged.
I pay full price... but not double deposits...

Old 07-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Not unusual in CO anyway. Dakota Ridge in Golden has the same policy as we've stayed there.

Reservations of two nights or more will require a 50% deposit.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not unusual in CO anyway. Dakota Ridge in Golden has the same policy as we've stayed there.

Reservations of two nights or more will require a 50% deposit.
Then, maybe that is all the more reason to avoid this place like a bad case of Covid mixed with Hepatitis and Cholera.

I just finished speaking with the KOA -a close competitor... they ask for the "first nights" rate as a deposit... I asked if that is the going policy in the area - they said "sure is, across Denver. anyone asking for more is ripping you off" - Emily

So... is that a popular place that those working in the industry get special perks?